B/O 7612 Hiring Process

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.d4d31222306cbee543b3fb965499ff7c.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 7612

List Status:  This list has been extended to October 17th, 2023.

Pay: The current minimum salary for Bus Operator is $24.16 per hour for a 40-hour work week, increasing to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Complete) - For Medical: (Complete)

Next Training Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more up-to-date recent information.

Resources: DOB New Hire FAQ, Handouts & DMV Road Test Prep Videos (if necessary)

Additional: For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated October 13th, 2022)

40px_exams_nyct.png

Just now, trigger said:

Thanks. I am really happy this finally got done. I do have a question though. The itinerary paper states there is no parking at zerega. Is this a true statement or a precaution?

Get there real early,I was getting there by 330 400 to get parking,there's a school bus company there once they start coming it's a wrap.I would just sit and snooze till it was time to go in.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dman1455 said:

Good stuff, I go for medical tomorrow also. How long were you there today?

I was in by 8am and out by 10:30am. It seemed crowded for the pre employment but the final process  today went real smooth, it was like I had appointments with all the different stations I had to complete. I would definitely recommend wearing dress shirt and tie for final because they take pictures for your metro card pass. 

3 minutes ago, Cactus683 said:

Get there real early,I was getting there by 330 400 to get parking,there's a school bus company there once they start coming it's a wrap.I would just sit and snooze till it was time to go in.

ok, ill most likely just use transit then. wanted to know because i usually drop my fiance off at her school. She teaches but that would be too early. I don't mind just taking Bus. Thanks for the good info though!!!!!!

Hopefully someone can answer this question. I would like to know how MTA calculates points on someone's license? Is it the same way DMV does it? If points are 3 years or older will MTA still count them? Thank you to anyone that can provide accurate information.

2 hours ago, MTA MAC said:

Hopefully someone can answer this question. I would like to know how MTA calculates points on someone's license? Is it the same way DMV does it? If points are 3 years or older will MTA still count them? Thank you to anyone that can provide accurate information.

They run your abstract from DMV. Whatever it has on it, is what they will see.

2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

Hey, I really appreciate you responding to my question, however the answer was very vague. I certainly know that they'll pull my abstract however, my concern was whether or not they would count points that are exactly 3 years old. Thanks again..

Edited by MTA MAC
typo

3 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

When they do run your New York State abstract, they will run your "Standard driving record." If you wish to obtain a copy of this yourself, click here and click on the "MyDMV" link. If you live either in New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania, you will need to bring your own abstract which must be less than 30 days old.

45 minutes ago, MTA MAC said:

Hey, I really appreciate you responding to my question, however the answer was very vague. I certainly know that they'll pull my abstract however, my concern was whether or not they would count points that are exactly 3 years old. Thanks again..

The MTA, whether it is the folks at Livingston Street or Zerega, calculates the points on your license the same way DMV does it. As far as points which are exactly three years old, let me give you, and everyone else, an example to work with:

As @train1290 posted here, you are allowed to have five [5] points maximum on your license when you report for pre-employment processing. Say for example you currently have nine [9] points on your license. Three of these points came from a ticket you received in February of 2017, another three came from another ticket you received on March 15th, 2017 and the last three came from a third ticket you received on March 30th, 2017. From the MTA's perspective, they look back at your abstract for exactly three [3] years. So if you reported for pre-employment processing this past January, you would be no good since you had nine [9] points on your license. If you report for pre-employment processing sometime next week, you would still be no good since you have six [6] points on your license. However, if you report for pre-employment processing on or after March 16th, 2020, providing you got no more points, you would be good.

Believe it or not, you're not the only one who has this problem. As a result of getting into an accident back in late June of 2014, the "accident" did not come off my abstract until the end of the 2017 calendar year. Surprisingly, when I had an interview for a driving job in the Fall of 2017, one company 'ignored' the accident, while one company took the accident, which was over three years old, into consideration! However, as a result of reading this, this and this review of the company who took the accident which was over three years old into consideration, it's easy to understand why they did that.

Edited by +Young+

49 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

When they do run your New York State abstract, they will run your "Standard driving record." If you wish to obtain a copy of this yourself, click here and click on the "MyDMV" link. If you live either in New Jersey, Connecticut or Pennsylvania, you will need to bring your own abstract which must be less than 30 days old.

The MTA, whether it is the folks at Livingston Street or Zerega, calculates the points on your license the same way DMV does it. As far as points which are exactly three years old, let me give you, and everyone else, an example to work with:

As @train1290 posted here, you are allowed to have five [5] points maximum on your license when you report for pre-employment processing. Say for example you currently have nine [9] points on your license. Three of these points came from a ticket you received in February of 2017, another three came from another ticket you received on March 15th, 2017 and the last three came from a third ticket you received on March 30th, 2017. From the MTA's perspective, they look back at your abstract for exactly three [3] years. So if you reported for pre-employment processing this past January, you would be no good since you had nine [9] points on your license. If you report for pre-employment processing sometime next week, you would still be no good since you have six [6] points on your license. However, if you report for pre-employment processing on or after March 16th, 2020, providing you got no more points, you would be good.

Believe it or not, you're not the only one who has this problem. As a result of getting into an accident back in late June of 2014, the "accident" did not come off my abstract until the end of the 2017 calendar year. Surprisingly, when I had an interview for a driving job in the Fall of 2017, one company 'ignored' the accident, while one company took the accident, which was over three years old, into consideration! However, as a result of reading this, this and this review of the company who took the accident which was over three years old into consideration, it's easy to understand why they did that.

Thank you for the clarity, in addition I wanna thank you @Young and SeveenEleven for the encouragement, motivation and the invaluable resource you guys provide. Good  Luck to All!

On 3/3/2020 at 4:37 PM, trigger said:

ok, ill most likely just use transit then. wanted to know because i usually drop my fiance off at her school. She teaches but that would be too early. I don't mind just taking Bus. Thanks for the good info though!!!!!!

Congratulations on moving ahead and my advice would be enjoy your life until training gets started. It was the most intense 7 days of my life. I cried on day 3. Get plenty of rest. And if I could offer one tip for the 7 day training is go slowly. Drive very slow and take your turns even slower. Good Luck. 

8 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Congratulations on moving ahead and my advice would be enjoy your life until training gets started. It was the most intense 7 days of my life. I cried on day 3. Get plenty of rest. And if I could offer one tip for the 7 day training is go slowly. Drive very slow and take your turns even slower. Good Luck. 

Thanks, yeah i have to work till the weekend before start date....I am ready though I went and did the dmv road test already Bus Passenger and School bus...heard that takes a lot of the stress off then doing  road test with transit.  

Hi everybody, I have a quick question. I just got an email that I can come in tomorrow for my medical but I just had shoulder surgery two weeks ago and I am confined to a sling for a total of six weeks. There was a lady that actually called me a few minutes after I got the email to confirm that I got it and I told her my situation. She said that I would have to reinstate my name with DCAS which is fine but my question is since my appointment for medical is tomorrow how long do I have before I have to go down to DCAS to reinstate my name? Do I have to go right away can I wait a week or so ? I forgot to ask her about that because I was in the middle of something when she called.

1 hour ago, Br00klynHappiness said:

Hi everybody, I have a quick question. I just got an email that I can come in tomorrow for my medical but I just had shoulder surgery two weeks ago and I am confined to a sling for a total of six weeks. There was a lady that actually called me a few minutes after I got the email to confirm that I got it and I told her my situation. She said that I would have to reinstate my name with DCAS which is fine but my question is since my appointment for medical is tomorrow how long do I have before I have to go down to DCAS to reinstate my name? Do I have to go right away can I wait a week or so ? I forgot to ask her about that because I was in the middle of something when she called.

First of all, feel better!

Second, as far as how long you have to wait before you can go down to DCAS, technically this particular list expires in October of 2022. Therefore, you have another 2 1/2 years before you will not be able to restore your name to the list. Personally, providing you're able to get around and do things independently, I would look to go down as soon as you can. As we all know, it takes time for the agency to request a list, or "batch" of names from DCAS, followed by inviting you down for pre-employment, including the drug test, followed by the physical, followed by the time they finally send you to Zerega.

In addition, you are aware that, instead of going down to DCAS, you can simply e-mail them, right? If not, click here and here for instructions. Others may argue that it is best to go down in-person, however the option is entirely up to you.

As a friendly reminder to everyone, your list number for this exam is in the 1700's, right?

Again, feel better!!

On 3/11/2020 at 5:17 PM, +Young+ said:

First of all, feel better!

Second, as far as how long you have to wait before you can go down to DCAS, technically this particular list expires in October of 2022. Therefore, you have another 2 1/2 years before you will not be able to restore your name to the list. Personally, providing you're able to get around and do things independently, I would look to go down as soon as you can. As we all know, it takes time for the agency to request a list, or "batch" of names from DCAS, followed by inviting you down for pre-employment, including the drug test, followed by the physical, followed by the time they finally send you to Zerega.

In addition, you are aware that, instead of going down to DCAS, you can simply e-mail them, right? If not, click here and here for instructions. Others may argue that it is best to go down in-person, however the option is entirely up to you.

As a friendly reminder to everyone, your list number for this exam is in the 1700's, right?

Again, feel better!!

Thanks Young, I’m actually doing great minus being in a sling 😎. As always you are a great information source!  I will do the e-mail instead, less traveling I prefer especially with this virus going around.  Thanks again 👍

35 minutes ago, Br00klynHappiness said:

Thanks Young, I’m actually doing great minus being in a sling 😎. As always you are a great information source!  I will do the e-mail instead, less traveling I prefer especially with this virus going around.  Thanks again 👍

You're welcome.

Good luck!!

Just finished day 3 at queens village depot. So much to learn. I thought by getting my cdl bp before I went in I would have more experience but this is like learning to drive again the mta way. serious stuff.  I have an superintendent that is training us. This man is very smart and detailed decades of experience. DOES NOT MISS A THING. This is so much more then I expected.... Tomorrow is going to be even more difficult but just if your about to go to orientation next class be prepared for commitment because this is life changing and 100 percent. 

3 minutes ago, trigger said:

Just finished day 3 at queens village depot. So much to learn. I thought by getting my cdl bp before I went in I would have more experience but this is like learning to drive again the mta way. serious stuff.  I have an superintendent that is training us. This man is very smart and detailed decades of experience. DOES NOT MISS A THING. This is so much more then I expected.... Tomorrow is going to be even more difficult but just if your about to go to orientation next class be prepared for commitment because this is life changing and 100 percent. 

Very well said.It sure was quite the experience,hang in there buddy.You got this.I was a day 9 guy.

4 minutes ago, trigger said:

That is good man I am glad you made it through.  I will keep you all posted on my experience. 

Yeah man I just got my transfer to Staten island also,doing line training all over again.Was on my own in Manhattan for about 3 months.It was fun !

28 minutes ago, trigger said:

Offhand, have you looked at the handouts? It has helped other people...

Good luck!!

20 minutes ago, train1290 said:

Young, would you happen to know the email to 180 Livingston street MTA NYCT?

Not really, however, if you listen to Ms. Rivera's answering machine, in which her phone number can be obtained here, she does mention that herself and the Human Resources staff would not be in until March 30th, 2020 because of the epidemic.

Now whether this is true or not for folks that are either outsiders of NYC Transit, or for those who already work for the agency - to be honest with you, I have the slightest clue.

Good luck!!

15 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Not really, however, if you listen to Ms. Rivera's answering machine, in which her phone number can be obtained here, she does mention that herself and the Human Resources staff would not be in until March 30th, 2020 because of the epidemic.

Now whether this is true or not for folks that are either outsiders of NYC Transit, or for those who already work for the agency - to be honest with you, I have the slightest clue.

Good luck!!

Oh ok, well thank you though.