Express Bus Advocacy Group

Via Garibaldi 8

36 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Years ago the (MTA) approached the North Shore Towers and asked them if they wanted service directly into the complex since it is private.  They responded by having the QM6 come in to serve buildings 3, 2, and 1 (there is a QM6 stop for each building), but not the Q46, and it has remained that way today.  I approached them a few months ago about a meeting there and I just have to arrange it, but I wanted to see what sort of express bus service they wanted.  They do want Downtown service for sure.

I could see that they would want the Downtown service as they used to have that in the old QSC days (at least 1 or 2 trips each way), and I don't blame them for asking for it.

I'm curious to see if they'll seek out Super Express service in some form (limited to NST and perhaps maybe a few points east of Bell Blvd). I'm not an NST resident, though, so I wouldn't be effected either way.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

Oh wow. I didn't even think of the workers at NST. That makes sense, though. I know that some QM20 passengers switch buses at Linden Place and the Whitestone Expressway for the QM32 for 3rd Ave service (or at least they used to). Some of the newer drivers would not stop to allow this transfer if nobody was boarding at Linden Place and the Whitestone Expressway (because it was not a deboarding stop).

Is this 'part of the script' at MTA HQ, or is it tolerated by the MTA due to the influence of NST? I know Mitchell-Linden set something like this up back in the day (several years ago under QSC management) when Q34 service was cut on Saturdays. Passengers were told to take the Q25 or QBx1 and switch to the QM2, but to 'tell the driver' on the QM2 eastbound that they're doing the 'Mitchell-Linden' transfer. I don't think anybody utilized this option at all.

Fortunately, they were smart enough to re-rpute the QM2 through Mitchell-Linden a few years ago to provide express bus service through the area again and help boost the weekend ridership numbers for the QM2.

1 hour ago, 7-express said:

Fortunately, they were smart enough to re-rpute the QM2 through Mitchell-Linden a few years ago to provide express bus service through the area again and help boost the weekend ridership numbers for the QM2.

Agree. Weekend / holiday service was something the Mitchell Linden Civic Association was seeking back in the mid-1990's. If I recall correctly, the QM2 via MItchell-Linden was started sometime in 1995. Back then, I think all weekend service pre-1999 was provided by GMC RTS buses and some TMC RTS's. Orions CNG's (suburban style and local service style) were used in the early 2000's.

As we posted in our group this morning:

DETOURS & XBUS ISSUES: We have two Eric Garner protests, and possible protests due to political unrest in Puerto Rico.

-Eric Garner protests: One in Foley Square and the other on Staten Island. Both should be contained and not affect express bus service.

-The Puerto Rico protests... Unclear where they will take place, but if we hear more we will post, as some are planned for today as well.

-Also, if your express bus is on detour it will NOT appear on BusTime or your tracker while on detour. Very important that you check here for updates.

-Any express bus without AC, please report that too. One bus reported here yesterday should now be pulled from service. Bus#2409....

Thanks to the MTA for making me feel like a baked potato.  Bus 3193 out of CP depot and operating as the 1910 QM2 back to Queens had no AC.  Vents were just slowly blowing hot air around so it was super toasty in there for the long ride back home.  They seriously couldn't find a single express bus with working AC to make service on a weekend?

Edited by 7-express

4 hours ago, 7-express said:

Thanks to the MTA for making me feel like a baked potato.  Bus 3193 out of CP depot and operating as the 1910 QM2 back to Queens had no AC.  Vents were just slowly blowing hot air around so it was super toasty in there for the long ride back home.  They seriously couldn't find a single express bus with working AC to make service on a weekend?

The A/Cs have been weak on a lot of their MCIs this summer, but not as bad as you experienced. Totally unacceptable in 2019, especially on a weekend

27 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@Via Garibaldi 8 They are trying to hide it, but cuts in express service are still planned:

48368698886_a6ac53ba8b_o.pngScreen Shot 2019-07-24 at 7.28.05 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

BRP stands for Budget Reduction Programs

Need to confirm if anything changed. There would be some cuts but they don't appear to be as drastic as before.

Does a bus with dead overhead vents but working window vents count as a bus with bad AC?  I had back luck this week with express buses with poor AC.  Thursday was another warm bus with barely working AC.  Friday, I caught a bus with dead overhead vents but the window vents were still cold.  But I'm not sure if dead overhead AC vents were just the driver forgetting to turn them on.

21 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Does a bus with dead overhead vents but working window vents count as a bus with bad AC?  I had back luck this week with express buses with poor AC.  Thursday was another warm bus with barely working AC.  Friday, I caught a bus with dead overhead vents but the window vents were still cold.  But I'm not sure if dead overhead AC vents were just the driver forgetting to turn them on.

If the overhead blowers are off then the driver didn't turn them on. Just ask the driver to turn them on. Not sure why you would sit on a bus and not inquire. I certainly do. I am not paying what I do a month to sit on an express bus with no AC.

46 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If the overhead blowers are off then the driver didn't turn them on. Just ask the driver to turn them on. Not sure why you would sit on a bus and not inquire. I certainly do. I am not paying what I do a month to sit on an express bus with no AC.

Agreed. I usually Inquire if the Bus A/C is off or whatever the reason may be. It is highly inexcusable to ride a Bus with Air Conditioning off.

34 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Agreed. I usually Inquire if the Bus A/C is off or whatever the reason may be. It is highly inexcusable to ride a Bus with Air Conditioning off.

Drivers aren't allowed to idle, so sometimes the bus will arrive and it will be hot.  A little while ago I got the BxM2 to the City.  It doesn't take long for it to reach my stop so I waited a bit to see if it would get cooler and it was tolerable, though it could've been cooler. It isn't hot outside, but it is quite humid.

Latest news:

-A private operator has renewed interest in trying to operate express bus service in Bay Ridge. 

-The route would start @ 97th 3rd Ave and end on 57th St & 6 Ave in the am

-PM, the route would start @5th Ave, bet. 57th & 58th Street on 5th Ave, travel down 5th thru Broadway,to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and drops off starting at 65th & 4th Ave to 97 st.

-The operator needs 300 signatures to send to Albany to approve it, and would like to start in September for the holidays for everyone, so the quicker the signatures the better. We are working with the operator to assist where possible and obtain more details such as a detailed listing of the stops, as well as the cost of the service.

-Finalizing bus shelter and bus stop requests for the DOT

-Finalizing comments for the Bronx express bus redesign

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Latest news:

-A private operator has renewed interest in trying to operate express bus service in Bay Ridge. 

-PM, the route would start @5th Ave, bet. 57th & 58th Street on 5th Ave, travel down 5th thru Broadway,to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and drops off starting at 65th & 4th Ave to 97 st.

-The operator needs 300 signatures to send to Albany to approve it, and would like to start in September for the holidays for everyone, so the quicker the signatures the better. We are working with the operator to assist where possible and obtain more details such as a detailed listing of the stops, as well as the cost of the service.

-Finalizing bus shelter and bus stop requests for the DOT

-Finalizing comments for the Bronx express bus redesign

Bay Ridge express service has been atrocious as of late. I think another express line needs to help the x27 and x37. 

Also, can there be a way to restore Coney Island Avenue express bus service to Manhattan. Honestly, the (Q) train doesn’t cut it. Train service on a lot of these lines have been horrible and there’s gotta be a better alternative. 

Lastly, hope the final draft of the Bronx re-design plan is good. I still have some mixed concerns about the Throgs Neck area Bx40/42, and Co-op City. Although both communities have been vocal ultimately the TA will likely keep their plans as is. 

Keep up the good work @Via Garibaldi 8  

27 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Bay Ridge express service has been atrocious as of late. I think another express line needs to help the x27 and x37. 

Also, can there be a way to restore Coney Island Avenue express bus service to Manhattan. Honestly, the (Q) train doesn’t cut it. Train service on a lot of these lines have been horrible and there’s gotta be a better alternative. 

Lastly, hope the final draft of the Bronx re-design plan is good. I still have some mixed concerns about the Throgs Neck area Bx40/42, and Co-op City. Although both communities have been vocal ultimately the TA will likely keep their plans as is. 

Keep up the good work @Via Garibaldi 8  

I think we'll see about that.  Andy Byford came up near my neck of the woods to present the Fast Forward Plan on July 18th, and we asked him a lot of questions. One thing I have been trying to get the (MTA) to do is commit to express buses using Transit Signal Priority, so I asked him (my question was read by an MTA representative) and he stated publicly that, yes, express buses will be included in the TSP plan. Now we need to pin them down with specifics.  We were given assurances that they are listening multiple times during the MTA's visit.  The meeting was held down down the hill in Kingsbridge, but apparently it was meant for us in Riverdale, as the (MTA) noted a few times by addressing the neighborhood specifically. We had everyone there, including one of my contacts who came over to shake my hand beforehand. 

There are some things that myself and others like about the draft, and others that we have questions about.  I'm just about done with my comments about the draft, which incorporates feedback we've received from riders on various lines, and I'll be sending them over to my contact for review a bit later this morning.

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think we'll see about that.  Andy Byford came up near my neck of the woods to present the Fast Forward Plan on July 18th, and we asked him a lot of questions. One thing I have been trying to get the (MTA) to do is commit to express buses using Transit Signal Priority, so I asked him (my question was read by an MTA representative) and he stated publicly that, yes, express buses will be included in the TSP plan. Now we need to pin them down with specifics.  We were given assurances that they are listening multiple times during the MTA's visit.  The meeting was held down down the hill in Kingsbridge, but apparently it was meant for us in Riverdale, as the (MTA) noted a few times by addressing the neighborhood specifically. We had everyone there, including one of my contacts who came over to shake my hand beforehand. 

There are some things that myself and others like about the draft, and others that we have questions about.  I'm just about done with my comments about the draft, which incorporates feedback we've received from riders on various lines, and I'll be sending them over to my contact for review a bit later this morning.

That is a copy. We are all looking forward to these recommendations hopefully sooner than later. 

A few more updates on the Bay Ridge service:

The operator is proposing a fare of $5.00 each way, with the bus stops being similar to the old Metro Apple line (photo is not mine).  They are considering using tablets for payment and accepting cash.

67377023_10217133655145950_8002998311382

The operator seems to have plans for off-peak service as well... These are NOT the final stops, but the stops will be similar. I should have them in the next few days.

44 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Is this the same guy that was doing that express run with his RTS?

I think it is and I don't think he ever started the other thing. He's still sorting out particulars with his partners, but I gave him some feedback to consider.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

19 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

-The operator needs 300 signatures to send to Albany to approve it, and would like to start in September for the holidays for everyone, so the quicker the signatures the better. We are working with the operator to assist where possible and obtain more details such as a detailed listing of the stops, as well as the cost of the service

Is there a way to sign this online? I swear I’ll sign anything if it means his RTS runs in revenue service

2 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Is there a way to sign this online? I swear I’ll sign anything if it means his RTS runs in revenue service

LMAO... There's no petition yet, and when there is one it'll likely be me doing it, since the person that is interested in running the service isn't exactly gifted when it comes to grammar. LOL

I'm waiting to be provided with a list of the AM and PM stops first, which should happen later this week.

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

LMAO... There's no petition yet, and when there is one it'll likely be me doing it, since the person that is interested in running the service isn't exactly gifted when it comes to grammar. LOL

I'm waiting to be provided with a list of the AM and PM stops first, which should happen later this week.

But since this is a private operator, I'm guessing there will be no transfers or metrocards accepted?