Video: Man Misses Bus, Man Chases Bus, Man Smashes Bus

YankeesPwnMets

Police are searching for a man who wrecked the outside of an MTA bus on Wednesday during a fit of rage apparently prompted by the driver's alleged refusal to pick him up.

Cell phone footage captured by a witness shows the man standing in the middle of Houston Street, blocking the city bus while cursing at the driver for not stopping. "Go ahead and run me over just like you ran past every bus stop as I banged on your f**king door," he shouts at the windshield, as the bus marquee blares: "CALL POLICE" and "EMERGENCY."

The man then begins kicking the bus, and proceeds to rip off the driver's side mirror and smash it into the pavement. He goes on to explain the cause of his fury: "I chased you 23 f**king blocks and you wouldn’t f**king stop. f**k you, you piece of shit." Moments before the video ends, the man instructs riders to get off the bus, informing the driver "you're not going anywhere."

The witness who documented the incident, who asked to only be identified by his Twitter handle Tjani, told Gothamist: "The bus eventually got away and he tried to give chase and deal more damage. You should've seen him sprinting after the bus, it was true theater."

"Dude was clearly fed up and cold," Tjani added. "He started kicking the doors and I was like 'Oh nah I need to capture this turn of events.'"

Police say the man fled the scene, and they haven't made any arrests. A spokesperson for the MTA did not immediately respond to our request for comment. According to New York City Transit Bus, there were no nearby service disruptions at the time of the freakout

http://gothamist.com/2018/12/06/see_it_man_bites_bus.php

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

No one is asking why the bus didnt stop.

That's not the point . 

I was on scene. There was no way that he said he missed the bus at 23rd Street and chased him all the way down to Houston AND caught him. 

And the news article does not state that the man also did the same thing to 2 more buses just minutes later telling the other drivers that he was chasing them from 23rd St also. This was the only one caught on film.

The man clearly needs mental assistance.

3 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Well, as we all know, there are many people with a mental illness. Is there anything the city can do to resolve this issue?

My point is that it's pervasive; more common than what people like to pretend it's not as prevalent a problem as.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

No one is asking why the bus didnt stop.

That's the first thing I asked (to myself) upon even reading the article...

23 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Nobody asked why he didn't wait for another bus either.

Nobody also didn't ask why didn't he use the same energy it took for him to chase the bus, to get to his destination....

Honestly, what did that display of f***ery accomplish for him? Not a damn thing.

11 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That's the first time I've seen a B/O intentionally turn on that "call police" function. Doesn't seen like it led anyone to do anything though lol

Of course not... No one reads destination signs in this city anyway....

59 minutes ago, KingNas said:

That's not the point . 

I was on scene. There was no way that he said he missed the bus at 23rd Street and chased him all the way down to Houston AND caught him. 

And the news article does not state that the man also did the same thing to 2 more buses just minutes later telling the other drivers that he was chasing them from 23rd St also. This was the only one caught on film.

The man clearly needs mental assistance.

The media only puts bits and pieces to the story. I already knew there was no way that guy chased that bus for 23 blocks from 23rd to Houston Stree via 3rd Avenue and Bowery. Glad that there are more layers to the story. 

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Of course not... No one reads destination signs in this city anyway....

I wonder if people would still be asking questions when the buses say announcements.

(Bus pulls up)

Bus: This is _____ to _______.

Passenger: Is this the ________ to ________?

Bus driver: Didn't you hear the announcements?

20 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I wonder if people would still be asking questions when the buses say announcements.

(Bus pulls up)

I was on an R46 (F) train going southbound at Broadway Lafayette and somebody got on and asked if it was an (F). They could've easily read the sign on the front of the train, but either didn't or just wanted a second opinion.

3 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

(Bus pulls up)

A few picks ago, I drove the s79-SBS, a lot.

One evening, I pick up a passenger at Hylan & Winchester going towards 86th, she tells me she missed her stop which was Hylan & Seaview. I say, just listen for your stop, I make all stop announcements, she sits in the back, behind the rear door, this is a wrapped s79-SBS 42xx bus and made announcements. So I approach Seaview, I say "The next stop is Seaview" (because who the h-ck knows where Liberty (or Jacques Ave) is - another TA screw-up)  get to Seaview and say "Seaview", a few people get on/off, and there are about 15 or so people on the bus. At Old Town Road, guess who comes up to me?

21 hours ago, trife86 said:

Whatever happened to just being crazy sometimes.

Years ago, whenever you saw someone in the street talking to himself, you would kept your distance because you knew they were crazy. Today it's just normal because they have a Bluetooth in their ear. 

On 12/6/2018 at 11:20 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

That's the first time I've seen a B/O intentionally turn on that "call police" function. Doesn't seen like it led anyone to do anything though lol

Whenever I see it, I just assume it is a mistake as does everyone else.

On 12/7/2018 at 1:58 PM, B35 via Church said:

Nowadays, you probably could catch a M103 if you jogged 23 blocks from some 23rd to Houston :lol:

I mean, about three years ago, I "missed" a n/b W20 upon getting off a (4) at Mosholu Parkway...but then caught up to and made it to that same bus at Gun Hill Road by running up Jerome Avenue (thank goodness for Jerome Avenue traffic). Not necessarily comparable in scale, but...I guess that's the general idea.

6 hours ago, Axis said:

I mean, about three years ago, I "missed" a n/b W20 upon getting off a (4) at Mosholu Parkway...but then caught up to and made it to that same bus at Gun Hill Road by running up Jerome Avenue (thank goodness for Jerome Avenue traffic). Not necessarily comparable in scale, but...I guess that's the general idea.

Yep, that's exactly the point being made.

Hell, I've lost count of how many times over the course of oh, almost 40 years, I've outwalked the B35 from Church av (B)(Q) to Utica..... Now that the thing has artics (which means buses show up at a decreased rate now... which means dwell times have certainly increased), I'm quite sure even with my nagging back problems, I could still beat the B35 home if I still took the subway after work....

What that man needs is a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation. And I doubt he was able to chase that bus 20 blocks from 23rd to Houston, unless he was an ultra-competitive Olympic runner. (FYI I may be a runner myself but even I can't run fast enough to catch a bus!)

40 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

What that man needs is a comprehensive psychiatric evaluation. And I doubt he was able to chase that bus 20 blocks from 23rd to Houston, unless he was an ultra-competitive Olympic runner. (FYI I may be a runner myself but even I can't run fast enough to catch a bus!)

Trust me when you want something, you'll get it lmaoo. I'll was trying to catch a certain bus on the B36 and ran from AveZ/Nostrand to AveZ/E13th to catch it. 

I don't know which I find more unbelievable, him saying he ran all that way and succeeded in catching up, or him actually catching up and maintaining that pace without running some reds and getting hit by some crazy cabbie, Fedex driver, Uber driver, etc. This ain't the movies, New York drivers aren't going to slam if they've got the green and you just run in at full speed.

Archived