East New York

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, Fresh Pond said:

2 separate yards.

The (2) uses 239 St, and the (5) uses 180 St/Unionport

They're not limited to just one, and considering where the yards are located, swaps are really easy.

6 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So since the R142/A’s are almost 20 years old, are they expected to be replaced in the next 10 years, or are they going to be the R32/42’s of the IRT and hit 45-50 years in service?

Those cars are in excellent condition for being 20 years old. If good maintenance keeps up, their replacements will be thought of during their 40’s. 

12 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So since the R142/A’s are almost 20 years old, are they expected to be replaced in the next 10 years, or are they going to be the R32/42’s of the IRT and hit 45-50 years in service?

I could definitely see them pushing 40-50 easy. The R142/As are due for major upgrades in 2-3 years anyways in prep for CBTC.

2 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Considering the state of the economy in the country and New York City and State now and for the near future I think we're talking at least 35 years, IMO. I keep reading these threads about new buses, subway cars, and the like and I'm wondering what bubble some of my fellow posters are living in. There is no money available now or in the next 5-10 years on any level to purchase anything, period. It's understandable that some younger folks argue that the monies are already allocated for certain projects. That means absolutely nada in the real world. I'm over 70 years old and money for the SAS, for example, has been budgeted by bonds from 1951 or so yet all I see is a stub end so far. Excuse me for being a cynic but, Jesus Cristo, there was a Third Avenue line running the full length of Manhattan in my childhood. There were tunnels dug for a SAS in Manhattan 50 years or so ago, money budgeted, press events, the whole nine yards and we have.....I've stated my opinion elsewhere that you can probably kiss Phase 2 of the SAS goodbye and it's my guess that those $$$ will be re-purposed to keep the original NTT R142. 142A, 143 in a state of "good" repair. Just my opinion though. Maybe I'm wrong but I think I've seen this show before. Carry on.

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

Their life expectancy is longer than 35 years, since the cars are stainless steel they should be fine in that regard long term.

Only thing the TA gotta worry about is the mechanical performance of the cars, bombardier sets are doing good, Kawasaki ones on the (7) are doing good and the ones on the (4) are improving. As long as we don't fall into another deferred maintenance era the NTT should be fine long term.

I think they should bring back the GOH program for the R142 and R142A fleets.  My understanding is they are not prepped for CBTC like the R160's and R179's.  When the R262's come in, they can take the R142's and R142A's out of service for the overhauls on some rolling basis, while a sizeable chunk of the R62 and R62A fleets remain in service.  Once all the R142's and R142A's are back, the remaining R62's and R62A's can be retired.  The R142A's that became R188's won't need to be overhauled.

@Collin: The contract for the R262s hasn't been awarded yet, and if the money for new car procurement fails to materialize, then I doubt there will be any money to overhaul existing cars, either.  The R62/As might be in for a very extended career at this rate...