Bronx Redesign Draft Released

Now on to the Bronx Expresses:

BxM2-No longer uses the Deegan to get to Manhattan, will use Inwood and RIverside Dr to get to West Midtown. Ehhh... Wasn't there a former member that suggested this route not run on Sundays?

BxM4-No longer serves the Concourse, extended to Wakefield. "It duplicates the subway" Uh, only 161 and Kingsbridge are ADA accessible on the (D) 

BxM5-Kind of sort of replaces the BxM11. (Something tells me that YON will get this route, not ECH), Only goes as far as 233 and uses Bronxwood. Only Pelham Pkwy, Gun Hill and 233 are ADA accessible on the (2) 

BxM6-No longer runs off-peak and weekends, replaced by BxM10. Brings back the NYBS days. Guess it makes sense since Parkchester (6) isn't ADA accessible.

BxM8-WIll stay on the Bruckner instead using Crosby and Westchester

BxM10-Will serve Parkchester off peak and weekends

BxM11-Eliminated

BxM17-New service from Co-Op City to Downtown. Gotta outdo Riverdale somehow, right?

BxM18-Added stops 

Something tells me the Brooklyn and Queens express may suffer the same fate

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

BxM2-No longer uses the Deegan to get to Manhattan, will use Inwood and RIverside Dr to get to West Midtown. Ehhh... Wasn't there a former member that suggested this route not run on Sundays?

BxM4-No longer serves the Concourse, extended to Wakefield. "It duplicates the subway" Uh, only 161 and Kingsbridge are ADA accessible on the (D) 

BxM5-Kind of sort of replaces the BxM11. (Something tells me that YON will get this route, not ECH), Only goes as far as 233 and uses Bronxwood. Only Pelham Pkwy, Gun Hill and 233 are ADA accessible on the (2) 

BxM6-No longer runs off-peak and weekends, replaced by BxM10. Brings back the NYBS days. Guess it makes sense since Parkchester (6) isn't ADA accessible.

BxM11-Eliminated

BxM17-New service from Co-Op City to Downtown. Gotta outdo Riverdale somehow, right?

BxM18-Added stops 

BxM18 is not just added stops. It would be removed entirely from Madison and 5th and serve Hudson Yards.  I'm still trying to understand where that one came from.  I made a comment in my advocacy group a few weeks ago while at Hudson Yards that express bus service was needed there, and now all of sudden this change comes up.  lol

22 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

BxM11-Eliminated

BxM18-Added stops 

BxM11 is not eliminated, it is renumbered to BxM5 but only shorten & rerouted, while its original terminus is being replaced by the BxM4

23 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

BxM18 is not just added stops. It would be removed entirely from Madison and 5th and serve Hudson Yards.  I'm still trying to understand where that one came from.  I made a comment in my advocacy group a few weeks ago while at Hudson Yards that express bus service was needed there, and now all of sudden this change comes up.  lol

This might be a pilot program to see if there would be a need for Bronx-Hudson Yards service. Not a bad concept but I feel there should of been a pilot Riverdale-Hudson Yards route (BxM12; not BxM18) before a reroute took place.

41 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I made a comment in my advocacy group a few weeks ago while at Hudson Yards that express bus service was needed there, and now all of sudden this change comes up.  lol

First Wallyhorse got the (brownM) and (V) to merge, now you got the BxM18 to go to Hudson Yards (and Inwood) lmao.

I want the Bx12 to run every 90 seconds during rush hour but they never listen to me...

17 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Manhattan Division could save it’s self by re-activating Amsterdam for Upper Manhattan, Wash Heights, Inwood coverage. 

They need to re activate AM for the purpose of M104, and M100 if that's the case, can add M125 as well to the roster, saving MV a few buses. A fifth Depot is needed to run so that way, it can open up spots for trips to start & end at AM, I would say, take a few NXGs from both MV & MQ and the remaining buses from The Bronx and there you have it. 

52 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

This might be a pilot program to see if there would be a need for Bronx-Hudson Yards service. Not a bad concept but I feel there should of been a pilot Riverdale-Hudson Yards route (BxM12; not BxM18) before a reroute took place.

This isn't a pilot at all. Riverdale would be the only area that could support such a service as it is more white collar, but even so, the question is what data did they collect to create such a line? There was no discussion about express bus service at all at the workshops, so it doesn't make any sense.

31 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

First Wallyhorse got the (brownM) and (V) to merge, now you got the BxM18 to go to Hudson Yards (and Inwood) lmao.

I want the Bx12 to run every 90 seconds during rush hour but they never listen to me...

I'm serious... I was at Hudson Yards a few weeks ago back on May 22nd at Blue Bottle and I made a post about how there needs to be express bus service over here and all of sudden this comes about. lol

38 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Its funny how Wallyhorse even becomes relevant in the New York City Bus discussion.

3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

The only reason the Bx17 ever went there was that it ran out of the old Walnut Depot at 132nd & Walnut.

In 1998, then-Governor Pataki ordered the MTA to close Walnut Depot and give it to the Empire State Development Corporation, which then sold it to Rupert Murdoch for $1 to become a printing plant for the NY Post.

Well, it took 'em almost a decade to address that antiquity....

As for the M104.....

3 hours ago, paulrivera said:

If the Bx10 was to be terminated away from 205th (D) it might as well continue down Gun Hill Road to White Plains Road to help out the Bx28/fill in for the loss of Bx30, which will now be running by itself between Montefiore and the (2) train/Bx39.

Bainbridge between Montefiore and the (D) would still have the Bx16/28/34.

I wouldn't subject the Bx10 to anything east of Bainbridge.... If it weren't for demand/access to Montefiore, you wouldn't need the Bx10 past BPB (4)..... (The area around) 205th (D) for the Bx10 IMO isn't much more than a convenient terminal (so yeah, there'd be no love lost for the Bx10 specifically, since those aforementioned options would be available b/w the hospital & the (D))... I just hate the fact that the thing uses Jerome to get b/w Montefiore & BPB (4).....

Straightening it the way Lil 57 suggests would basically have it be a shuttle from Kingsbridge Heights to Montefiore, en route to the (D).... While there's demand for the hospital, it's not nearly strong enough to have Bx10's do any of that.... It needs that ridership that comes from all the schoolkids b/w Clinton HS & BPB (4)....

The (real) Bx30 is a good alternative to the Bx28 for a couple of reasons... This bullshit proposed Bx30 I can easily see the MTA taking a hit with it (also.... for a couple reasons... Lol); all it looks to potentially do is steal riders from off the Bee Line's... Sacrificing access to Gun Hill (2) for a longer ride down Boston to get to Pelham Pkwy (2) (and terminate there... smh) is just flat out dumb....

15 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Perhaps an express bus to Aqueduct Racetrack will be in the works as part of the Queens Redesign.

Perhaps they need to have their heads examined....

Oh wait....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Well, it took 'em almost a decade to address that antiquity....

As for the M104.....

I wouldn't subject the Bx10 to anything east of Bainbridge.... If it weren't for demand/access to Montefiore, you wouldn't need the Bx10 past BPB (4)..... (The area around) 205th (D) for the Bx10 IMO isn't much more than a convenient terminal (so yeah, there'd be no love lost for the Bx10 specifically, since those aforementioned options would be available b/w the hospital & the (D))... I just hate the fact that the thing uses Jerome to get b/w Montefiore & BPB (4).....

Straightening it the way Lil 57 suggests would basically have it be a shuttle from Kingsbridge Heights to Montefiore, en route to the (D).... While there's demand for the hospital, it's not nearly strong enough to have Bx10's do any of that.... It needs that ridership that comes from all the schoolkids b/w Clinton HS & BPB (4)....

The (real) Bx30 is a good alternative to the Bx28 for a couple of reasons... This bullshit proposed Bx30 I can easily see the MTA taking a hit with it (also.... for a couple reasons... Lol); all it looks to potentially do is steal riders from off the Bee Line's... Sacrificing access to Gun Hill (2) for a longer ride down Boston to get to Pelham Pkwy (2) (and terminate there... smh) is just flat out dumb....

While there has been talk of breaking up the Bx10 and splitting it up, I think there would be backlash with the loss of the Montefiore connection, and that's one reason they ultimately left it as is.  We've been having constant and ongoing complaints about the Bx10 now for years up here and people circulating petitions down in Spuyten Duyvil for more Bx10 service. The line is totally unreliable, comes packed and bunched together, and quite frankly I get why people are so pissed and complain so much.  I rarely use the Bx10 but the packs that I see while either waiting for the express bus or passing by them are totally ridiculous.  The other thing that has been an ongoing fight now is getting an elevator at Mosholu Parkway over by Jerome Avenue.  I think that's another reason the Bx10 isn't going anywhere. The few times that I have used that station I opt for the Bx1 and then make my way up the hill, even though I really should take the Bx10 being closer to Henry Hudson Parkway, but I can't deal with those tiny 40 footers and all of the stops.

14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

While there has been talk of breaking up the Bx10 and splitting it up, I think there would be backlash with the loss of the Montefiore connection, and that's one reason they ultimately left it as is.  We've been having constant and ongoing complaints about the Bx10 now for years up here and people circulating petitions down in Spuyten Duyvil for more Bx10 service. The line is totally unreliable, comes packed and bunched together, and quite frankly I get why people are so pissed and complain so much.  I rarely use the Bx10 but the packs that I see while either waiting for the express bus or passing by them are totally ridiculous.  The other thing that has been an ongoing fight now is getting an elevator at Mosholu Parkway over by Jerome Avenue.  I think that's another reason the Bx10 isn't going anywhere. The few times that I have used that station I opt for the Bx1 and then make my way up the hill, even though I really should take the Bx10 being closer to Henry Hudson Parkway, but I can't deal with those tiny 40 footers and all of the stops.

Hold on, what's this about a loss of the Montefiore connection? ...and how/where would they even justify breaking the thing up at?

I don't proclaim to be any daily user of the Bx10, but I know more than enough about a typical ride from Norwood to Riverdale on the thing enough to know that neither of that will solve anything....

Edited by B35 via Church
firefox sucks... can't even have 2 tabs open before shit starts freezing now...

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Hold on, what's this about a loss of the Montefiore connection?

It's been discussed before.  Our Assemblyman has proposed splitting the Bx10 well before this redesign, and that was one of the main issues that came up was losing the one seat ride to Montefiore, and I suppose given the large elderly population here it may not fly over so well.  There are some very vocal Bx10 riders especially down in Spuyten Duyvil that even started circulating their own petitions for better service.  There is regularly a dispatcher either at 231st and Broadway or the next stop after that supposedly monitoring service because of the ongoing complaints on that line.

I always got the impression that Riverdale sceams louder than Norwood because of the need of the subway connection, but Norwood complains as well by the Montefiore side.  Seems as if the proposal thrown around was to have the Bx10 split and run from Kingsbridge Heights just past the (1) train to Riverdale, which is more or less what the short turns do now.  There's lots of articles on this, but this one focuses on Norwood. 

Bx10 Service To Increase Service Following Complaints

April 18, 2017

Bx10-Service-To-Increase-Service-Followi

RIDERS BOARD THE Bx10, which will increased service following complaints.
Photo by David Cruz

The MTA is rolling out an extra roundtrip bus on the overly congested Bx10 line, following commuter complaints addressed to its local Assemblyman.

Its southbound route starts at Riverdale, making 51 stops before reaching Norwood’s 206th Street and Rochambeau Avenue. Commuters were vocal over the line’s constant congestion, which slowed service down.

The complaints went to the MTA and to Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz, whose district covers Norwood and Riverdale. In a statement, Dinowitz called the bus route a “lifeline for Bronx commuters with limited public transit options.” Bus service stands as the primary public transportation the further north Bronx commuters travel.

C9uu8BJUIAAr4Fn.jpg

Talking about the state budget and the Bx10 service increase tonight at CB 7

At the bus stop at the corner of East 206th Street and Rochambeau Avenue, Jasmin Leonardo, 18, and her twin sister Janells, cheered the changes. “We won’t have to worry about waiting for a bus mad long and everything,” Jasmin, who routinely takes the bus to visit her grandmother, said.

Hector Colon, 30, an employee at the Van Cortlandt Golf Course, called the Bx10 too slow, calling news of the increased bus service “great.”

Meantime, Maria Mihaylova, who just finished leaving her physical therapy appointment, called the increase the right thing to do considering the rising MTA fare costs. “[T]he money they pay, I think it’s pretty reasonable to increase the service,” Mihaylova, who had a roll of quarters handy for the bus fare.

By the summer, the MTA plans to monitor whether more buses should be added in the fall. The extra bus will start running on April 18.

Source: https://www.norwoodnews.org/id=23188&story=bx10-service-to-increase-service-following-complaints/

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The Bx17 used to run to Port Morris.... Service got truncated around 2004/05 or so.

No point in resending it over there; should be left right where it is along the Mill Brook houses.... Let the Bx33 deal with the industry over on the other side of the Bruck'.

The reason why it ran to Port Morris in the past was because the terminus was at the front door to the Walnut Depot. Once that closed, the Bx17 should have been rerouted sooner.

As for the Bx10, the problem is how you're turning it around if one approaches Norwood-205 Street (D) from the south instead of the north. It would serve as a great terminus if you can turn it there, but how? Those side streets aren't exactly wide.

1 hour ago, Nova Fly Guy said:

I like the M100 Cut back it Lessing the clog on 125, The Bx15 will benefit from the split. 

It should still run to one subway station---125 Street (A)(B)(C)(D).

Edited by aemoreira81

37 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

As for the Bx10, the problem is how you're turning it around if one approaches Norwood-205 Street (D) from the south instead of the north. It would serve as a great terminus if you can turn it there, but how? Those side streets aren't exactly wide.

How it gets to Norwood (D) is irrelevant; coming over & up from the south, buses would hit the (D) at BPB/GC before turning up Bainbridge anyway... The D is not a major ridership gen for the Bx10....

Anyway, you're reiterating the issue I already professed to..... The turnaround scenario is part of it....

AFAIC, running along Jerome is still a waste for it, regardless.

11 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

On the whole, is the Deegan generally faster than the Harlem River Drive or vice versa?

I'm taking my chances with the Deegan over the damn HRD.... Don't know if that suffices as a viable answer to the question for ya...

Edited by B35 via Church

26 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

On the whole, is the Deegan generally faster than the Harlem River Drive or vice versa?

The Deegan continues to worsen especially during Yankee games, and before holidays, so I would go with the Harlem River Drive, even with the need to use local streets to reach it at this point. The question is where to get off of it.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

20 minutes ago, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

Neither is good. However, if I were a bettor I’d go with 87 before the HRD. The bigger issue is that NYC needs to get on the ball and have the FDR/HRD and the rest of its highways at the state speed limit of 55 since NYS own the highways.

12 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The Deegan continues to worsen especially during Yankee games, and before holidays, so I would go with the Harlem River Drive, even with the need to use local streets to reach it at this point. The question is where to get off of it.  

The HRD is a choke point from 125th. It’s a disgrace that this construction has been going on since 2013 and hasn’t fully been complete. The Willis Avenue Bridge was constructed in less than the HRD. 

The HRD has widened a bit. However, I wouldn’t use it as alternative until the construction is complete.