Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

10 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Something I was thinking about on the M14 SBS today. The clear slowdown with a great number of the stops is that the bus sits at a traffic light, then crosses the street to the bus stop, sits there, and then about half the time misses the next light. Wouldn't it make infinitely more sense to have all the stops on the near corners, that's to say, with the traffic lights? That way most of the waiting time could be consolidated, and the bus wouldn't have to wait on one side of the intersection just to go across and wait again after a green light. Given all the expense of installing SBS machines and reconfiguring 14th Street with eliminated stops and a new design, I don't see how something as simple as this couldn't have been considered. 

That's the thing. The same thing happens when the signal is green and the bus pulls into a near side stop and the light changes red as the bus is about to pull out. 

The issue with the bus missing the light is NYCDOT's timed signals, the greens are short which makes everyone miss the next light. "Traffic calming" is what they like to call it. TSP is supposed to address that, but how well is that working?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to wonder if there will be enough buses to make the Q70 SBS articulated once the remaining XE60s are delivered. One could reduce frequency by as much as 35-40 percent as an artic in the MTA's configuration would maintain the same capacity. Then the remaining XD60s at MTA Bus in SBS livery could be changed to local livery, especially at JFK, which mostly pools the Q10 and Q52 SBS with one fleet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 2/22/2020 at 5:50 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I always felt that all bus stops should be on the near side of the street where possible. 

NYCDOT usually likes far-side stops because fewer parking spaces are lost and buses have the full width of the intersection for maneuvering into the stop. (Of course, the primary exception is when elevated support columns are in the street and a far-side stop might force the bus to block the intersection.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 5:55 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

NYCDOT usually likes far-side stops because fewer parking spaces are lost and buses have the full width of the intersection for maneuvering into the stop. (Of course, the primary exception is when elevated support columns are in the street and a far-side stop might force the bus to block the intersection.)

I thought the reason was to reduce conflicts with cars turning right at the intersection which is the highest cause of bus accidents. 

1 hour ago, NY1635 said:

I have a question: How is the SBS ridership doing when buses and subway are free? 

That would be a good question if there wasn’t a pandemic and a lot of people aren’t riding transit at this moment. I think the MTA should keep buses free but that’s just my opinion. 

5 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I have a question: How is the SBS ridership doing when buses and subway are free? 

If what you're ultimately inquiring about has to do with an imbalance of people (not) using SBS' (due to everything that's been going on in the past couple months), it isn't the case....

People are freely boarding SBS' as they are the local buses.... There isn't much of any discernment taking place in that regard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q70 SBS's new drop off is at Woodside-61st St.

So assuming after LGA Loop, then Roosevelt Av/74th St drop off/pickup, Q70 SBS from turns right at 75th St, turn right at Woodside Av straight to 61st St, right.

After drop off, right turn at 61st St, right turn at Roosevelt Av, regular route.

On 6/21/2020 at 8:21 PM, FamousNYLover said:

What do you think on green on Northern Blvd. She want to advocate for bus lane, SBS on Q66.

** youtube video **

What do I think? I think it's nothing more than typical political pandering.... Jump right to the :24 second mark of the video & check the caption <_<

Just goes to show how serious whoever this lady is, about ending the (new) so-called Boulevard of death..... Personally abhor when opportunists use the death of some child to try to pull on heartstrings to achieve something that only benefits THEM....

On 7/13/2020 at 1:26 PM, FamousNYLover said:

Q70 SBS's new drop off is at Woodside-61st St.

So assuming after LGA Loop, then Roosevelt Av/74th St drop off/pickup, Q70 SBS from turns right at 75th St, turn right at Woodside Av straight to 61st St, right.

After drop off, right turn at 61st St, right turn at Roosevelt Av, regular route.

Yeah, that's the new Q70 Woodside bound routing....

11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What do I think? I think it's nothing more than typical political pandering.... Jump right to the :24 second mark of the video & check the caption <_<

Just goes to show how serious whoever this lady is, about ending the (new) so-called Boulevard of death..... Personally abhor when opportunists use the death of some child to try to pull on heartstrings to achieve something that only benefits THEM....

Yeah, that's the new Q70 Woodside bound routing....

MTA made mistake

PLANNED WORK  Posted: 07/17/2020  8:42AM

In effect
Q70 SBS stop on 61st St at Roosevelt Ave will be closed for the introduction of articulated buses on this route

Please use this new nearby stop on 61st St at Woodside Ave.

Note: Q53 SBS will continue to use the stop on 61st St at Roosevelt Ave.

13 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

MTA made mistake

PLANNED WORK  Posted: 07/17/2020  8:42AM

In effect
Q70 SBS stop on 61st St at Roosevelt Ave will be closed for the introduction of articulated buses on this route

Please use this new nearby stop on 61st St at Woodside Ave.

Note: Q53 SBS will continue to use the stop on 61st St at Roosevelt Ave.

That must be something very recent, because when I took the (LGA bound) Q70 about 2 weeks or so ago, I boarded the (artic) bus along Roosevelt..... Stood there about 20 mins. waiting for her to power the bus on (the bus was parked along Roosevelt the whole time, after I got off the Q32).....

If there are even TVM's along Woodside av. now, that would be news to me... Otherwise, it's stupid to have pax. purchase a ticket at 61st/Roosevelt, to then have them go hoof it over to 61st/Woodside to catch an LGA bound bus...

Just now, B35 via Church said:

That must be something very recent, because when I took the (LGA bound) Q70 about 2 weeks or so ago, I boarded the (artic) bus along Roosevelt..... Stood there about 20 mins. waiting for her to power the bus on (the bus was parked along Roosevelt the whole time, after I got off the Q32).....

If there are even TVM's along Woodside av. now, that would be news to me... Otherwise, it's stupid to have pax. purchase a ticket at 61st/Roosevelt, to then have them go hoof it over to 61st/Woodside to catch an LGA bound bus...

The pick-up is still at the same location (Roosevelt Ave & 61st Street), only the drop off which was on 61st Street was changed to Woodside Ave & 61st Street. 

7 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The pick-up is still at the same location (Roosevelt Ave & 61st Street), only the drop off which was on 61st Street was changed to Woodside Ave & 61st Street. 

So this part of what Yuki posted from off the MTA site isn't true then.....

In effect

23 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Yes, the wording it uses is incorrect. The stop still exists, except only the Q53 uses it now (for drop-offs and layover). 

Alright, wait a second..... As I understand it:

• Last Woodside bound Q53 stop: on 61st st, just short of Roosevelt (nearside)
  • First Rockaway bound Q53 stop: on Roosevelt b/w 61st & 62nd, a few feet east of the LIRR tracks
  • Last Woodside bound Q70 stop: on Woodside, just short of 61st (nearside)
  • First LGA bound Q70 stop: on Roosevelt b/w 61st & 62nd, directly under the LIRR tracks

_____* The first Q53 Rockaway stop is on the same side of the road as the first Q70 LGA bound stop - with the difference being that the Q53 stop is in front of the Q70 stop.....

If any of this is not current, feel free to correct/update it.

55 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Alright, wait a second..... As I understand it:

• Last Woodside bound Q53 stop: on 61st st, just short of Roosevelt (nearside)
  • First Rockaway bound Q53 stop: on Roosevelt b/w 61st & 62nd, a few feet east of the LIRR tracks
  • Last Woodside bound Q70 stop: on Woodside, just short of 61st (nearside)
  • First LGA bound Q70 stop: on Roosevelt b/w 61st & 62nd, directly under the LIRR tracks

_____* The first Q53 Rockaway stop is on the same side of the road as the first Q70 LGA bound stop - with the difference being that the Q53 stop is in front of the Q70 stop.....

If any of this is not current, feel free to correct/update it.

Yeah, that's the current setup in that area with regards to both routes.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

Does the Q32 share a stop with those routes or it's by itself?

• On 7/18/2020 at 11:07 AM, FamousNYLover said:
    • That's correct Q53 SBS far from Dunkin Donuts across from Market; Q70 SBS under LIRR is closer to Dunkin Donut, then Q32 in front of DD.

Yuki is right.... All three of those routes' bus stops are separate from each other.

On the Q70, the no standing rules really need to be enforced so that two Q70 buses can easily fit in the stand on Woodside. Oftentimes, I see a Q70 needing to park at the 63 Street Q18 stop for lack of room.

Also, with B6 (the airline jetBlue, not the route) unlikely to leave the Marine Air Terminal, is there a need for a less-frequent shuttle just going to Terminal A? Keep in mind that previosuly, there were 12 rigids covering the Q70, and now there are 13 articulated buses. A caveat now is that B6 hardly has any operations now at Marine Air as there are only 1-3 flights each day there...with a plane that may sit for a few days before flying again, but when short-haul can return to normal, those six gates at Marine Air (Terminal A) will be busy, and as such, I would wonder if it's necessary to have two buses operating only Woodside to Terminal A

Currently, the maximum amount of buses needed for the Q70 SBS is 9 (accounting for delays). Also, this would not be needed now, but when traffic from LGA returns to near normal, I do see the need for 2 buses to run just to Terminal A.

On 8/7/2020 at 5:13 PM, aemoreira81 said:

Also, with B6 (the airline jetBlue, not the route) unlikely to leave the Marine Air Terminal, is there a need for a less-frequent shuttle just going to Terminal A? Keep in mind that previosuly, there were 12 rigids covering the Q70, and now there are 13 articulated buses. A caveat now is that B6 hardly has any operations now at Marine Air as there are only 1-3 flights each day there...with a plane that may sit for a few days before flying again, but when short-haul can return to normal, those six gates at Marine Air (Terminal A) will be busy, and as such, I would wonder if it's necessary to have two buses operating only Woodside to Terminal A

Currently, the maximum amount of buses needed for the Q70 SBS is 9 (accounting for delays). Also, this would not be needed now, but when traffic from LGA returns to near normal, I do see the need for 2 buses to run just to Terminal A.

This post is all over the place.... What does the M60 & the Q47 running to Marine Air Term. have to do with the Q70 (which doesn't serve that part of the airport) running artics?