Repeated vandalism may make MTA reduce service on the 7 line.

Lawrence St

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/subway-window-vandalism-could-force-mta-to-reduce-service-on-no-7-train/2578755/

The MTA could be forced to reduce subway service for the No. 7 train after rampant vandalism, according to sources.

At least 200 windows on subway cars have had to be replaced since the start of August because they keep getting smashed, the Daily News first reported. Sources say that workers have to pull the train out of service every time a window is damaged and needs to be replaced.

According to the source, the MTA's supply of spare windows is used up and the agency is having a tough time finding more.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/subway-window-vandalism-could-force-mta-to-reduce-service-on-no-7-train/2578755/

The MTA could be forced to reduce subway service for the No. 7 train after rampant vandalism, according to sources.

At least 200 windows on subway cars have had to be replaced since the start of August because they keep getting smashed, the Daily News first reported. Sources say that workers have to pull the train out of service every time a window is damaged and needs to be replaced.

According to the source, the MTA's supply of spare windows is used up and the agency is having a tough time finding more.

This is almost going to be like how they tried to reduce service on the Pelham Bay Park (6) Local and <6> Express when it got hit by those broken windows.

16 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

I wonder who these perps are that the cops can't seem to catch them... Long John Silver? The Headless Horseman?

Like really, TA's gonna cut service because 5-0 can't do their jobs competently?  🤦‍♂️

Similar deal when it came to that dude that was vandalizing buses out in SI... Except, of course, at least the option was available to detour buses away from the immediate problem area.....

In any event, when you have cops getting fired for actually doing their jobs, it creates that slippery slope...

Edited by B35 via Church

On 8/22/2020 at 12:33 AM, R10 2952 said:

I wonder who these perps are that the cops can't seem to catch them... Long John Silver? The Headless Horseman?

Like really, TA's gonna cut service because 5-0 can't do their jobs competently?  🤦‍♂️

I'm thinking it's disgruntled cops attempting to set the agenda - "fund NYPD fully and stop trying to stop them beating people when arresting them or NYC will suffer".

Since overt manipulation to get preferred results is par for the course for pro-authoritarian conservatives these days, I wouldn't be surprised if this stops suddenly when DeBlasio caves (again) after realizing he won't be the first NYC Mayor since NYC was just Manhattan to make it to higher office.

23 hours ago, Deucey said:

I'm thinking it's disgruntled cops attempting to set the agenda - "fund NYPD fully and stop trying to stop them beating people when arresting them or NYC will suffer".

Since overt manipulation to get preferred results is par for the course for pro-authoritarian conservatives these days, I wouldn't be surprised if this stops suddenly when DeBlasio caves (again) after realizing he won't be the first NYC Mayor since NYC was just Manhattan to make it to higher office.

I can't imagine the closure rate on vandalism was very high before Cops decided to 'take a knee'. I can say I've personally given names, video evidence and in some cases an address, never heard back other than that it was forwarded to detectives. 

I read this article recently:

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-may-turn-to-broken-windows-strategy-to-keep-windows-on-7-train-intact/

MTA may turn to ‘broken windows strategy’ to keep windows on 7 train intact

Highlights:

After suffering $300,000 of damages in the subways from more than 400 cases of vandals smashing windows, the MTA says it is considering teaming up with NYPD to implement a “broken windows strategy” in order to bring the situation under control.

MTA Chief Safety Officer Pat Warren said on Saturday that a tough-on-crime approach will be needed, in a supplement to their effort of increased surveillance, to end the repeated attacks on their infrastructure and their already enfeebled pocketbook from COVID-19.

Not only that, but the MTA is running low on their stockpile of replacement windows.

Whether or not the NYPD will deploy plainclothes officers to guard the subways, Warren declined to speculate on who is repeatedly busting the glass which ranges between three-eighths to a half-inch in thickness.

While the MTA cannot surmise as to a motive for someone to do this, they say the most recent incident cost taxpayers and riders up to $10,000.

9 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

I read this article recently:

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-may-turn-to-broken-windows-strategy-to-keep-windows-on-7-train-intact/

MTA may turn to ‘broken windows strategy’ to keep windows on 7 train intact

Highlights:

After suffering $300,000 of damages in the subways from more than 400 cases of vandals smashing windows, the MTA says it is considering teaming up with NYPD to implement a “broken windows strategy” in order to bring the situation under control.

MTA Chief Safety Officer Pat Warren said on Saturday that a tough-on-crime approach will be needed, in a supplement to their effort of increased surveillance, to end the repeated attacks on their infrastructure and their already enfeebled pocketbook from COVID-19.

Not only that, but the MTA is running low on their stockpile of replacement windows.

Whether or not the NYPD will deploy plainclothes officers to guard the subways, Warren declined to speculate on who is repeatedly busting the glass which ranges between three-eighths to a half-inch in thickness.

While the MTA cannot surmise as to a motive for someone to do this, they say the most recent incident cost taxpayers and riders up to $10,000.

Still no leads? Who's in charge of this investigation, Lieutenant Columbo or something?

Edited by R10 2952

18 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Still no leads? Who's in charge of this investigation, Lieutenant Columbo or something?

Columbo would have solved the case already. The Keystone Kops are on this case 😁. Stevie Wonder “ where are you “ ? We need your help ASAP.

Edited by Trainmaster5

6 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Columbo would have solved the case already. The Keystone Kops are on this case 😁. Stevie Wonder “ where are you “ ? We need your help ASAP.

I feel like Matlock or Sheriff Taylor would’ve already solved it.

15 hours ago, jolusoji said:

So here the video. of the broken windows on the 7 line.This was during Rush hour.Me and one other transit worker was just  noticed when it arrived.Hope this helps!

Somebody really didn't like the R188 conversion car!

This guy needs to be in jail, in a hurry.

@Deucey I do think there's an NYPD slowdown for sure, all arrests have plummeted including gun arrests, despite shootings as we all know massively on the rise. This though, there is video of a guy doing it, I think it's not the kind of thing a cop would do. Too obvious, too easy to get caught. Way easier to look the other way at a drug deal, etc.

On 8/23/2020 at 5:18 PM, Deucey said:

Or maybe maintainers looking for overtime?

On 8/23/2020 at 5:18 PM, Deucey said:

I do not support any temper-tantrum on the part of the NYPD rank n file, and any officer found to have engaged in a precipitous drop in enforcement activity should be disciplined. But you do have to ask yourself a basic question: 

Cops see some kid marking up a train car one day. Kid starts whipping around, screaming, getting handsy with the officers. Everyone has their cell phone out, screaming brutality. Honestly, what do *you* want the officers to do? 

I believe society can and should walk and chew gum at the same time. We can demand, forcefully, justice for Floyd, Taylor, Blake et al and yet realize that a cop arresting a Black person is not in an of itself an act of state racism or brutality. 

What we are seeing is what many activist have in fact been asking for. Less policing. Now that the results are starting to trickle in, people are side stepping...

24 minutes ago, shiznit1987 said:

Cops see some kid marking up a train car one day. Kid starts whipping around, screaming, getting handsy with the officers. Everyone has their cell phone out, screaming brutality. Honestly, what do *you* want the officers to do? 

To not:

Kick arrestees when they're down

Punch arrestees when they're down

Pull weapons on unarmed people

Beat the crap out of people for shits and giggles because they're carrying the badge

Plant contraband on suspects to make arrests

Racially profile

Have union leaders disparaging the public they're supposed to protect

Enforce the law the same way in Bay Ridge as they "do" in Morrisania and Soundview or vice versa

Start reporting when "bad apples" are being bad and illegal instead of covering it up until the video is released.

IDK why folks choose to defend or be nonchalant about shitty behavior by 5-0 when 5-0 have all the power and protection.

@Deucey I do think there's an NYPD slowdown for sure, all arrests have plummeted including gun arrests, despite shootings as we all know massively on the rise. This though, there is video of a guy doing it, I think it's not the kind of thing a cop would do. Too obvious, too easy to get caught. Way easier to look the other way at a drug deal, etc

@MHV9218, for years whenever a protest turned into a riot we've always suspected that there was always an outsider that came to instigate mess, and in Minneapolis, he was caught on video bashing windows at AutoZone.

And with so much QAnon crap infesting minds, and this narrative in RWNJ circles that "being white" or a cop is a crime and that both groups are under attack, alongside the known psychological phenomenon of crime copycats, there can be a video of someone bashing these windows floating around but with him/her not being caught on CCTV or cameraphones somewhere hopping turnstiles or coming out an emergency exit shaft, one can only "see" that either the cops are that bad at cop work, or they're turning eyes away to see what happens.

Edited by Deucey

7 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Somebody really didn't like the R188 conversion car!

This guy needs to be in jail, in a hurry.

@Deucey I do think there's an NYPD slowdown for sure, all arrests have plummeted including gun arrests, despite shootings as we all know massively on the rise. This though, there is video of a guy doing it, I think it's not the kind of thing a cop would do. Too obvious, too easy to get caught. Way easier to look the other way at a drug deal, etc.

He struck again today. 7465 and 7464 had smashed windows. This was the second set of today. It’s alarming how this sick jerk hasn’t been caught. 

1 minute ago, shiznit1987 said:

I agree with everything you've listed above, and I realize that NY's minority communities have many, many reasons over decades to distrust their interactions with the NYPD. Like I said, people have every right to demand justice. Period. Officers are not the law and should never be allowed to break or bend the law. I can only speak for myself, but I fully support things like having the CCRB not only investigate cases but be put in charge of enforcing discipline for NYPD officers accused of misconduct. In addition, any officer found to be committing a criminal act should be charged with a Federal crime, including longer prison terms for staining the public trust. 

Having said that, we've gotten beyond demanding justice and have questioned the legitimacy of enforcement actions. People demanding that we abolish police/prisons need to account for the consequences of such.