Subway will close for two hours overnight, starting Monday.

Lawrence St

Saw the link on citizen, yet for some reason the link isn't copying.

EDIT: https://citizen.com/-M1bh62w9wPiH2B2X97c

There is no official link from the (MTA) as of yet.

Subway service will now not operate between the hours of 2 AM to 4 AM, as opposed to the original 1 AM to 5 AM overnight shutdown.

Edited by Lawrence St

13 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Saw the link on citizen, yet for some reason the link isn't copying.

EDIT: https://citizen.com/-M1bh62w9wPiH2B2X97c

There is no official link from the (MTA) as of yet.

Subway service will now not operate between the hours of 2 AM to 4 AM, as opposed to the original 1 AM to 5 AM overnight shutdown.

Finally. I don't have to worry about taking the Bx99 (or any bus of that matter), after 12. But, this also means that the homeless is gonna ramp up overnight too. Even so, I think they should just open the subway and just clean the trains at each terminal (since they sit at terminals for 15+ minutes overnight).

Heres the article on it https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2021/02/mta-to-partially-restore-overnight-subway-service-next-monday.html

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Overnight subway closures for coronavirus (COVID-19) cleaning will be shortened next week, partially restoring overnight service that has been suspended since the spring.

On Monday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo, joined by the MTA’s top transit officials, announced that the ongoing overnight subway closures will be cut in half, from four hours to two hours, allowing the agency to restore an hour of service on both the front and back ends of the daily closures.

Starting Monday, Feb. 22, the New York City subway system will close nightly from 2 to 4 a.m. for coronavirus cleaning efforts, MTA Chairman and CEO Pat Foye announced.

Since May 6, the MTA has been shuttering the city’s subway system from 1 to 5 a.m. each day to implement enhanced disinfecting efforts amid the ongoing pandemic.

The MTA has yet to provide a date for when the city will return to full 24-hour subway service.

The partial restoration of overnight service will come as a welcome sight to many late-night and early-morning commuters who were forced to transition to buses, shuttles and ride-share vehicles in the absence of their usual subway lines.

10 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Considering all the time it takes to set the closing and reopening processes in motion, closing the system for 120 minutes is a blatant waste of money.

While I totally agree that they should just keep it open considering that it’s literally only two hours and the MTA would save lots of money not having to run bus service, we know that won’t happen until Cuomo gives the okay. But hey at least we are seeing things change for the better. Restaurants are open for indoor dining at 25% and the overall covid cases are decreasing. Restaurant owners are fighting to have 50% capacity and I’m sure if there is enough people willing to fight for overnight subway service we could see it come back earlier especially since Cuomo is under some heat at the moment. 

I didn't hear about this....

Oh, for the love of god, just make it 24-7 already... I'm not necessarily saying that because I have this longing, lustful, orgasmic desire (like that @I love NY dude) to have it be done, I'm saying it more because it's inconsequential to have trains running OOS for appx. 2 hours..... Notice I said approximately..... 

See, with the current scenario of the subway opening back up for passenger service *around* 5am, I've seen passengers entering some subway stations as early as 4:30 am without issue (example: here in my general neck of the woods, over there on Church/Nostrand with the (2)) ..... Towards the end of last year, those last 2 or 3 trips on the (NB) B99 would see consistent crushloads.... What I've been noticing more or less since the year started is that B99's in general haven't been as crowded/patronized.... I wonder if the same scenario is the case, over there on E. 18th st (Church av. (Q)) with "regular" commuters being allowed to enter the system 1/2 hour early or whatever....

Edited by B35 via Church

Some people actually will have worse commutes when overnight service is restored (Soundview, Co Op City, Clason Pt, 3 Av Bronx, Woodlawn (Heights), far West Side Manhattan). The subway closure has actually improved service in areas away from the subway overnight. 

Edited by GreatOne2k

3 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Considering all the time it takes to set the closing and reopening processes in motion, closing the system for 120 minutes is a blatant waste of money.

I agree 100%, but our governor is a moron. Ether keep it the way it is or keep it open 24/7.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I didn't hear about this....

Oh, for the love of god, just make it 24-7 already... I'm not necessarily saying that because I have this longing, lustful, orgasmic desire (like that @I love NY dude) to have it be done, I'm saying it more because it's inconsequential to have trains running OOS for appx. 2 hours..... Notice I said approximately..... 

See, with the current scenario of the subway opening back up for passenger service *around* 5am, I've seen passengers entering some subway stations as early as 4:30 am without issue (example: here in my general neck of the woods, over there on Church/Nostrand with the (2)) ..... Towards the end of last year, those last 2 or 3 trips on the (NB) B99 would see consistent crushloads.... What I've been noticing more or less since the year started is that B99's in general haven't been as crowded/patronized.... I wonder if the same scenario is the case, over there on E. 18th st (Church av. (Q)) with "regular" commuters being allowed to enter the system 1/2 hour early or whatever....

Not to mention that some lines that are still in service get to their terminal around 3:30 AM, prime example being the (A) local from Far Rockaway to 207th St. So we're closing the system for 30 minutes?? Really???

7 hours ago, NBTA said:

Finally. I don't have to worry about taking the Bx99 (or any bus of that matter), after 12. But, this also means that the homeless is gonna ramp up overnight too. Even so, I think they should just open the subway and just clean the trains at each terminal (since they sit at terminals for 15+ minutes overnight).

Speaking of which.... While I can't speak for the other Bronx subway terminals, there are a crazy amount of cleaners at Dyre av (during the day, I mean)....

5 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I'm guessing that this will also mean a reduction of the overnight bus service provided....

If not instantaneously, it'll definitely happen gradually....

2 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

Some people actually will have worse commutes when overnight service is restored (Soundview, Co Op City, Clason Pt, 3 Av Bronx, Woodlawn (Heights), far West Side Manhattan). The subway closure has actually improved service in areas away from the subway overnight. 

I'm keeping an eye out on what (if anything) will end up happening to the B/Bx/M99 routes, whenever they do get around to fully restoring overnight service.... Being a bus guy, I actually prefer taking the B/M99 routes b/w Brooklyn & Manhattan during those hours... Luckily I'm within a decent walking distance from either of them.....

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Not to mention that some lines that are still in service get to their terminal around 3:30 AM, prime example being the (A) local from Far Rockaway to 207th St. So we're closing the system for 30 minutes?? Really???

Yeah, it's stupid all the way around.... This agency is truly in shambles & has been for quite some time....

6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I'm guessing that this will also mean a reduction of the overnight bus service provided. In any case, they might as well have reopened 24/7. 

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

Less OT involved.

DOB approves.

No. Greg Mocker is in my advocacy group and confirmed for me that bus service overnight will NOT change for now (local or express), which I'm happy to hear. We're also considering pushing to keep lines like the BxM7 remaining overnight once the subway re-opens fully to 24/7 again.

Greg Mocker: 

I asked MTA media office about schedules - here’s the response 

“The enhanced overnight bus schedules will not be changing. The existing schedules will continue. We anticipate posting updated subway schedules this week.”

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We're also considering pushing to keep lines like the BxM7 remaining overnight once the subway re-opens fully to 24/7 again.

In that case BxM7 should make local BxM8 stops whenever the BxM8 isn't running (including late Sunday evenings southbound)

5 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I really don’t see the point in closing for just two hours. How much cleaning - if any - are they going to accomplish in just two hours?

My sense from reading a few articles was that this is meant to be a temporary transition back to 24/7. Perhaps some of the workers or unions or whatever said they need a gradual shift back to full service or whatever? That's pure speculation on my part

26 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I really don’t see the point in closing for just two hours. How much cleaning - if any - are they going to accomplish in just two hours?

Not much I presume, this seems like a transitional step in a wider plan to open the whole subway 24/7 again. 

19 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

My sense from reading a few articles was that this is meant to be a temporary transition back to 24/7. Perhaps some of the workers or unions or whatever said they need a gradual shift back to full service or whatever? That's pure speculation on my part

Can't speak for the actual intent of this overnight change, but those were basically my thoughts as well. A lot of the reopening process in general for COVID has been in phases or done partially with intentions to fully reopen later, as is the nature with a still unpredictable virus. I wasn't anticipating any sudden reopening of overnight service to begin with for those reasons. I do however hope that a full transition back to 24/7 happens soon, since this 2am-4am scheme seems like it won't be practical for anything more than a short amount of time. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

1 hour ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I'd say the same amount of cleaning they would accomplish when service was available for passenger consumption overnights!  Kind of like a regular cleaning (as opposed to a deep cleaning) when you go to the dentist....

55 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I'd actually like for the Bx99 to become a full time express route. Unlike the (4) and the BxM4, it does a good job of connecting the east side of Manhattan with the West Side and the Bronx, something that would actually get riders off the subway and onto the express bus.

If you're charging $6.75 for this, forget it.

7 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

In that case BxM7 should make local BxM8 stops whenever the BxM8 isn't running (including late Sunday evenings southbound)

That would be the idea, which is what the current BxM7 overnight service does, though it doesn't make all BxM8 stops. It stays on Bruckner Blvd though and makes those stops.

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I'd actually like for the Bx99 to become a full time express route. Unlike the (4) and the BxM4, it does a good job of connecting the east side of Manhattan with the West Side and the Bronx, something that would actually get riders off the subway and onto the express bus.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

If you're charging $6.75 for this, forget it.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a "intraborough" limited stop line with the local fare. This route would make a great test pilot.

Definitely should remain as a local bus. Not worth $6.75 for a bus that meanders about.

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Unfortunately I see the MTA cutting these routes as soon as overnight subway service returns. I definitely think we need a better overnight bus network especially in the outer boroughs. I do like the idea of specific overnight routes that connect different neighborhoods together that regular daytime routes normally don’t. 

During the overnight subway closures I felt that the Q60 for example should have been extended to Columbus circle allowing it to connect with other N/S Manhattan bus routes. The MTA just made service more frequent without necessarily trying to make it more useful to those that really need it. Overnight routes don’t necessarily need to have the same route as in daytime which is where a specific overnight network can come into play.