So much for the lucky 7

MHV9218

The small things that the MTA goes through always impress me.

For instance, the MTA DOB has now run out of stickers of the number "7" for its buses. We're talking the big numbers that go on top of the bus, not the side numbers. My guess is that East NY CMF or 207th is just short on the things, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Trivial yes, but I just wonder how the MTA manages to muck up these little things. A few repainted "7" buses:

6_46

6_88

6_89

6_80

669_

6_83

Mercifully all of the O7 CNGs have been repainted... The top of the bus just has a huge blank space where the number is supposed to go, which, while it won't be hurting anybody, is just a planning mess, it seems.

Never know, maybe it's not a shortage, maybe 7 just costs more than the other numbers... Could be the most recent budget cut! B)

Actually, the budget cut should be the elimination of the side stripe number.

7596 is still not repainted, however...and may be the only O7 CNG still with a black back.

Oddly, I came across a sign at 14th Street where there was a (V) bullet, but someone decided to use masking tape to create the strokes of what would look like an (M) instead. ;)

I saw something similar at 53 & Lex. It was one of those "You know the MTA doesn't have money when..." moments.

The small things that the MTA goes through always impress me.

For instance, the MTA DOB has now run out of stickers of the number "7" for its buses. We're talking the big numbers that go on top of the bus, not the side numbers. My guess is that East NY CMF or 207th is just short on the things, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Trivial yes, but I just wonder how the MTA manages to muck up these little things. A few repainted "7" buses:

6_46

6_88

6_89

6_80

669_

6_83

Mercifully all of the O7 CNGs have been repainted... The top of the bus just has a huge blank space where the number is supposed to go, which, while it won't be hurting anybody, is just a planning mess, it seems.

Never know, maybe it's not a shortage, maybe 7 just costs more than the other numbers... Could be the most recent budget cut! :P

They seem to have problems with "8"s also. The font always looks different from the other numbers like they're made in bold font or something.

• 2 years later...

Can't believe I'm bumping this, but it is my own thread at least. Anyway, this problem has come back. Only now, the MTA has run out of 6s instead of 7s. Check out the top of 6672. That bus interestingly was never repainted above the windows like the other OGs during the overhauls a couple years ago so it kept the original blackback numbers and all, but now it has been, and it's stupid looking.

Before the overhaul:

DSC_0180_zpsa82aa75b.jpg

After the overhaul:

MLS_8689_zpsd4a307c4.jpg

Archived