Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try hanging out at Queensboro Plaza lower level before 8:30 AM and then you would have a different opinion.

if you send the (N) up 2nd avenue totally all of astoria will riot

Gotta think outside of the norm there's always room for improvement. Sure the current setup does the job but I know there's a better setup then the one we have right now of Broadway crossing in front of another.

The problem is that the present (W) levels will not work as the sole Astoria line. Currently, the (W) operates on ten minute intervals throughout the day, which if I'm not mistaken, is actually less than what the (Q) ran between 2010 and 2016. In order to match the present levels of service and meet ridership demands, the (W) would have to operate approximately 14 trains per hour at the height of the rush hour. I also don't know how well Broadway Local-only service to/from Astoria would be received by riders, despite the low number of actual local stops.

Gotta think outside of the norm there's always room for improvement. Sure the current setup does the job but I know there's a better setup then the one we have right now of Broadway crossing in front of another.

While that may be true in regards to a better setup being possible, however I don't think this one in particular is the resolution.

Say we did have all of the necessary cars available and the (W) runs to Astoria by itself does it run there overnights and on weekends too? The MTA is cash strapped as is I can't see them justifying this in their budget.

The next question is where in Brooklyn does this new service terminate and does the ridership warrant this extra service?

Finally, how do you explain to Queens riders that adding an extra 5 minutes to their commute since they just lost their express train in Manhattan benefits them?

Interesting proposal I just can't see it happening given the pros and cons.

AM and PM Rushhours only they have some few (N) trains serve 2 Av to help the (Q).

That's not why they go there. Pre-SAS those trains terminated at Times Square and 57 St. Since those can't be used as terminals anymore, the trains were extended to 96 St.

Your proposal doesn't improve anything; it only makes it worse. The current (N)(W) setup isn't enough service for Astoria let alone the (W) by itself.

It was originally the Q to 207th, which actually ran in '89 due to a flood and asbestos contamination on 8th Ave. Then they proposed it for a permanent service in '91, but people opposed it because only the (A) is supposed to run up there, so they came up with the orange A, but that was opposed too.

It was originally the Q to 207th, which actually ran in '89 due to a flood and asbestos contamination on 8th Ave. Then they proposed it for a permanent service in '91, but people opposed it because only the (A) is supposed to run up there, so they came up with the orange A, but that was opposed too.

That I remember was posted here.  There were proposals that would have made the (A) a 6th Avenue line and the (Q) running to 207 as part of draconian cuts the MTA was looking at in 1991 (in the face of what had been at the time the worst recession since the twin recessions of 1969-'70 and 1973-'75).  Nothing ever came out of that. 

Continuing from the idea to extend the (G) during late night hours to Forest Hills

Travel times

from Flushing to 74 Street (9 minutes)
 from Flushing to Queensboro Plaza (20 minutes)
 from Flushing to 5 Avenue (30 minutes)
 from Flushing to Times Square (32 minutes)
========================================================================
 from Roosevelt Avenue to West 4 Street (31 minutes)
 from Roosevelt Avenue to West 4 Street (23 minutes)
 from Roosevelt Avenue to 4 Avenue (42 minutes)
 from Roosevelt Avenue to 4 Avenue (36 minutes)
 from Roosevelt Avenue to Court Square (11 minutes)
 from 74 Street to Court Square (12 minutes)
 from Court Square to 4 Avenue (25 minutes)
 from Roosevelt Avenue to Coney Island (83 minutes)
 from Queensboro Plaza to Coney Island (80 minutes)
 from 42 Street to Coney Island (62 minutes)
 from 42 Street to Coney Island (66 minutes)
 from Times Square to Coney Island (68 minutes)
 from Times Square to Coney Island (53 minutes)
 from West 4 Street to Coney Island (55 minutes)
 from West 4 Street to Coney Island (65 minutes)
 from 9 Street to Coney Island (37 minutes)
 from 4 Avenue to Coney Island (38 minutes)
 from 9 Street to Coney Island (34 minutes)

Wait times

3.33 minutes at Roosevelt Avenue
5 minutes at 42 Street, Times Square, West 4 Street, or 9 Street
10 minutes at Queensboro Plaza or Court Square

Transfer passageway traversal times (running)

2 minutes for 74 Street–Broadway/Jackson Heights–Roosevelt Avenue
2 minutes for Court Square
4 minutes for 5 Avenue/42 Street–Bryant Park
3 minutes for Times Square–42 Street
2 minutes for 4 Avenue–9 Street/9 Street