V to Metropolitan? It's possible.

Zman

(V) from Queens, via Bklyn, via Manhattan then back to Queens? wow.

can't they just leave everything the way it is? (with the exception of the (:P via Brighton Local and the proposed extension of the (Q) to 96 St/2 Av.)

Well look at it this way:

(M) Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Brooklyn. Tho this way is going from top to bottom..

The (V) is doing it like top to bottom then top half way again

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any speculation about whether the (V) will replace the (M) to Metropolitan Avenue in Queens is just a debate in the works according to Zman. I rather not make any predictions, opinions, nor statements regarding this (M) and (V) merger unless this proposal is approved.

Meh, I'd rather send it along Grand Ave. and down 69th St. in Queens and connect the (V) with the (M), it'll be much easier and does not need the Chrystie St. Connecter and builds a missing connecting in West-Central Queens and Brooklyn.

Except, I also see a problem because the (R) now is having a heavy burden, I'd most likely revive the old Roosevelt Terminal and run a (S) service meaning:

(S) Roosevelt-Metropolitain Connector.

Northern End: Roosevelt Terminal.

Elmhurst Ave.

Queens Blvd.

80th St.

Borden Ave.

Eliot Ave.

Juniper Blvd.

Southern End: Metropolitain Ave.

~or just follow the planned Winfield Spur (IND Second Div)~

whiskey tango foxtrot...

If the goal here is to save money, why the hell would you spend more?

whiskey tango foxtrot...

If the goal here is to save money, why the hell would you spend more?

I guess this is why employees tend to keep things to themselves when it comes to posting publicly on the forums, waiting until someone else lets the cat out of the bag to comment. However, Thank you Zman for the information and heads up on this possible service change.

That said, cue rampant speculation and fantasy map foaming that will never actually happen and has little to do with what Zman actually said in his post.

If you stand on the platform at Bway/Myrtle during the AM rush, you'll already see the vagues of people running from the (M) local to the (J) express when the two trains connect.

I'm sorry - I'll see the vagues of people? What the heck does that mean?

History has nothing to do with how service is. If the (MTA) wants to get rid of the (M) they'd do it in a heartbeat. If the (V) is going to help the (MTA) financially they to me it's a good idea. Hey, I need my student Metro-Card!

i,we need it to.but if the (M) would still be cut,our student metrocard would still be cut.550,000 students use it,so if they cut it they can get around 1,100,000$ extra.

This was always my thought on what they should do with hooking up Metropolitan Av with Midtown..

cfgmvchanges2.jpg

(C) 168 to Metropolitan Av. Late nights via Myrtle Av Shuttle. Replaced by (V) in Brooklyn

(F) normal. Express in Brooklyn, post 2012 construction.

(G) to Kings Hwy

(M) replaces (Z)

(V) replaces (C); West 4 St to Euclid Av

(Z) eliminated

This was always my thought on what they should do with hooking up Metropolitan Av with Midtown..

cfgmvchanges2.jpg

(C) 168 to Metropolitan Av. Late nights via Myrtle Av Shuttle. Replaced by (V) in Brooklyn

(F) normal. Express in Brooklyn, post 2012 construction.

(G) to Kings Hwy

(M) replaces (Z)

(V) replaces (C); West 4 St to Euclid Av

(Z) eliminated

Now why would you do that? The (C) has to merge with the (F) at Broadway-Lafayette even when it only shares that one station. It will be a major point of contention for local service on both the 8 Avenue and 6 Avenue lines. At West 4 Street, the (E) and (V) will become additional problems.

No it wont be the same. Becuz if the (M) gets cut, people from the Myrtle Line wont have direct access to Nassau St Lines but a transfer to the (J). And of course cutting Brooklyn Service south of Broad.. Same applies going to Queens from the Nassau

To add also! If the (V) gets rerouted via Jamaica, then it WILL have to run on Weekends and Late NIghts for the Myrtle Line

Say what?

People already do have access with the Nassau Street Lines from the Myrtle Ave Lines. The only significant thing is the transfer going downtown, which really isnt a big deal at all. An extra 3-5 minute wait during rush hours wont kill ya! :P

The next stop after Broadway Lafayette would be Essex Street, but they would be utilizing the unused track on the Queens Bound Platform, which would also make for better connections and direct access seeing as how (J) trains stop on that express track, the (V) would stop on the unused track.

The (V) would run via the (M) during rush hours so its local along the way from Essex to Myrtle, then over to Metropolitan, its the same thing, no loss of access or whatever, just a transfer to the (J) when going below Chambers which isnt so bad cause people had to do that before....

Though from the way it sounds, the (M) is getting cut while the (V) gets service out to Metropolian, (M) service restricted to the shuttles during the weekend & regular service during middays, but no rush hour trips. By extending the (V), this reduces the wait for (M) train riders that transfers from the (F) out of Delancey Street. It'll just be a slight pain for riders who have to take the (M) south of Essex Street. This also reduces the crowding issues on the (F) and (L) lines at the same time.

So in some way, it is the same, just look at it this way, instead of the (V) going to Metropolitan, just think of it as the (M) going via 6th avenue after Essex with a transfer going downtown south of Essex which really isnt a big deal, people had to transfer before the (M) extension to Broad Street.

But as mentioned, nothing is official and we dont know how things will really be as of yet...

I've got news for you: The TA is considering eliminating the (M) and sending the (V) to Metropolitan Av via the Chrystie St Cut if the doomsday cuts aren't head off at the pass. This would mean that the (V) could only run 8 car trains. This could start in late June.

Logistically it would be a little difficult unless they took some of the 60 foot SMEE's that are mothballed and put them back into service, or if ENY has enough 4 car unit 160's to cover service since 46's can't run on the Williamsburg Bridge. For (M) passengers though, this sounds like a good deal.

It's in the talking stages and nothing is official yet.

You opened up a can of worms on SubChat. Those guys consider it a done deal. I don't. All those folks who have to change to the J at Essex will be pissed. The V train will empty out.

Should this come to pass, Look for the Brooklyn & Queens politicians in the M line service area make as much noise as Peter Vallone in Astoria over the loss of the W (even though he conveniently ignores the Q taking its' place.

You opened up a can of worms on SubChat. Those guys consider it a done deal. I don't. All those folks who have to change to the J at Essex will be pissed. The V train will empty out.

Should this come to pass, Look for the Brooklyn & Queens politicians in the M line service area make as much noise as Peter Vallone in Astoria over the loss of the W (even though he conveniently ignores the Q taking its' place.

Bill a can of worms is an understatement...

I think this would be easier on (M) riders...this way, Midtown will be better accessed, rather than the (M) that drops them in Lower Manhattan. They won't have to make transfers at Canal to get uptown. At least this is how I see it, correct me if I'm misguided.

This service change would really hurt Brooklynites on 4th ave that take advantage of the M during rush hour. I recently moved near 4th ave and the option of the M is outstanding. If I don't have a direct transfer at either pacific st or dekalb, I simply take the m to chambers where I am two stops from Grand central. I lived in Park Slope my entire life and just used the F for the most part and very rarely the B/D/Q at 7th ave and flatbush. Who would have thought moving further from the city would get me there faster.

Bill a can of worms is an understatement...

I think what is being lost here is that a lot of stuff is being discussed internally which we don't even know about so they can make the operation leaner.

This is just one of them. There are many flaws to the V/M consolidation because when you solve one problem, you cause another, when you give a passenger a new convenience, you just inconvienced some other passenger.

Where are you going to get the bullet from? And do the R160s even have an orange (M) program? Also, this would cause all the (V) bullets along 6 Av and QBL to be changed as well.

Isn't one of the benefits of the 160s displays that they can be reprogrammed fairly easily?

I'm sorry - I'll see the vagues of people? What the heck does that mean?

LOL AHHHH! What does that even mean? I was thinking the same thing. Not on dictionary.com...

Talking in french again ZMan??? -_-

That's exactly it, I was thinking in two languages again. A vague in French means a wave or grand mass. Sorry for that.

Though from the way it sounds, the (M) is getting cut while the (V) gets service out to Metropolian, (M) service restricted to the shuttles during the weekend & regular service during middays, but no rush hour trips. By extending the (V), this reduces the wait for (M) train riders that transfers from the (F) out of Delancey Street. It'll just be a slight pain for riders who have to take the (M) south of Essex Street. This also reduces the crowding issues on the (F) and (L) lines at the same time.

What? You heard something else on this? So this is only rush hours? I take it there would be no (V) middays either?

Just thinking now, since the (V) always gets suspended when there are serious delays on the line or even the other lines, then this service would make it easier to stage the line (start up service again), since part of it in a remote area (Essex-MET) would still be running.

Archived