MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

Rode 5513, not rostered for JFK, on the Q10 today, or shall I say attempted to. Got on at Kew, stalled after the second left turn.  Got it restarted, but stalled again shortly after LIRR KG station.  Rolled it to the bus stop and the driver didn't even attempt again.  2-3 hours later, when I came back from the airport and a ride on the AirTrain, 5513 was being hooked up to a tow truck.  Not an MTA tow truck, but that of a private company.

Did not see any JFK 1998-1999 artics running on the Q10 late morning-early afternoon.  As I post this, still the same on Bus Time, + 2 regular hybrids on the line.

Guess those artics can't handle the heat and the operating abuse of the line either!  I suppose nothing will happen till they get factory new artics out there.  Wondering if they'll have luggage racks and if we'll see a Q10 SBS sometime?

Edited by Bill from Maspeth

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh, I sure hope that the GA moves are not loaners!!!!!! I've always hoped that the 1998 Novas and the 1998 Orion Vs would appear at the same place at the same time. Besides, those decals were sure moved at a fast speed (not that that singular fact means anything).

But why are FP takng more of GA's NGs? Are the miles really that bad in Bklyn North?

Edited by Micstromme

With 745 new buses to be delivered between the end of this year and the end of 2015, preliminary plans call for most all Orion V's, and the oldest RTS buses to retire. After the new buses come in it's expected for the fleet to look something like this.

To Be retired:

Orion V 6000-6299

RTS 8753-9349

RTS 9350-9699

What will likely remain for a while longer:

Orion V 6300-6350 give or take some buses

RTS 4900-5104 give or take some buses, most of which will go to La Guardia Depot

Buses that will be retired last (around 2020)

RTS 5105-5249

I don't understand why they insist on keeping the '98s from MTAB, but then they plan to retire them and the 96's at the same time. (They nearly did this with the '94 Nova's). Why the aversion to passing them down if they're all going out together?

So, since I'm fully recovered from my surgery - I can take the time to make some things clear.

I have nothing against TTMG and/or their roster - mine's wouldn't exist without theirs. Actually I'm kinda glad I didn't have to announce my roster was going through a transformation stage to add more detail to the roster - because TTMG came out with their update. There were a few flaws, but hey - my roster can play catch up, like it always has. To nitpick over the mistakes is frivolous, since I'm sure mine has a couple.

However, I do wanna make one thing clear - just because mine isn't as detailed as TTMG, or isn't an insider roster, doesn't make it less or more accurate. Just saying, both of them have mistakes, and it isn't always gonna be 100% - we both have the disclaimers for a reason.

I would like some credit with keeping pace day-by-day, week by week with the roster while TTMG was down, and I will continue to do so going forward. With more and more information, pictures, and detail going forward, I really want to make my roster better and better as time goes on.

I am in the process of adding the non-revenue buses to the roster and updating everything - no timeline - but hopefully by the end of next week it should be finished.

I wouldn't be surprised if ECH gets the 1999 RTS's along with LGA and JFK. BP might get some of the remaining Orion V's as well as LGA. I don't get this logic though why continue to give JFK and LGA the oldest buses in the system when you know they have trouble with maintenance. If anything I thought they would be the first ones to get new buses. If the 1999 RTS's stay until about 2020 then that means they are not getting anything new until around 2019. And I guess the new artic order is not coming anytime soon since JFK just got the 2003 D60's and they still have another 3,4 years left.

Speaking of JFK, why is it that JFK swap bus numbers most of the time?

Example:

-SC has 3524-3549 and JFK/FR has 3575-3599, then swapped with BP's 3500-3523 and now JFK and BP are swapping units

-Q10's artics (1000s and 5400s) now with 5510-5769 (30 units)

-Now, JFK's MCIs 31xx's for SC's 32xx's

Speaking of JFK, why is it that JFK swap bus numbers most of the time?

Example:

-SC has 3524-3549 and JFK/FR has 3575-3599, then swapped with BP's 3500-3523 and now JFK and BP are swapping units

-Q10's artics (1000s and 5400s) now with 5510-5769 (30 units)

-Now, JFK's MCIs 31xx's for SC's 32xx's

The funny thing about it was i rode 3523 on the Q110 last week and i also saw 3541 on the same route as well

It doesn't matter now because almost all Orion VII's has been at JFK and handled their abuse. The only ones I know that haven't been their is 3783, 3782, and I believe 3780. I'm not sure about 3525 and I believe 3535 came from FR.

3525 and 3535 both were at Far Rockaway and Spring Creek at some point...