MTA Bus Operations: Deliveries, Moves & Transfers

T J Trainman
Message added by Cait Sith

This TOPIC is strictly for bus deliveries, moves & transfers.

Any discussion related to these moves should be done in the MTA Bus Operations: Fleets and Depots and Bus - Random Thoughts threads.

Nothing wrong really. However, some of Jamaica's RTS Fleet is old East New York and Flatbush Fleet in conjunction with their own originals. So their RTS going back to East NY would be best essential. Plus Jamaica is due at least 135 LFS within the current LFS order.

Off topic question. How much is the Bronx getting on the LFS order?

40 KB, 41 GH, not much is needed to complete both orders.

• Replies 36k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5022 to EN from MQ

ENY finally gets their wish of getting more RTS buses while getting rid of some hybrids! Those people are so happy right now it's really funny! They really do hate those things! I'm still holding my breath on 5175-5199. TA wants them back, but in my honest opinion they need to just designate some 99's that will just ride it out in EC until they retire....Add maybe 5 more for a spare factor and just be done with it. Sheesh! In a way I see what MTA's big deal is because they are the last of a dying breed, but it's NOT that serious... They need to just leave the buses at EC. Right now they have no other options for buses up there. Hybrids are basically out of the question, and RTS, are the only buses available right now.

I also find it interesting that 9503, 9580, and 9590 are still there.

As far as the NGs go, I'm glad they are going to depots that will respect and/or cherish them. I'm also glad that it seems as if some of those 45xxs will return home to the Grand, where they began their life. I do hope though that some RTS' stay put at GA for the foreseeable future.

Also, 4701 returned home to Brooklyn. Was spotted on the B62 this afternoon.

5022 to EN from MQ

ENY finally gets their wish of getting more RTS buses while getting rid of some hybrids! Those people are so happy right now it's really funny! They really do hate those things! I'm still holding my breath on 5175-5199. TA wants them back, but in my honest opinion they need to just designate some 99's that will just ride it out in EC until they retire....Add maybe 5 more for a spare factor and just be done with it. Sheesh! In a way I see what MTA's big deal is because they are the last of a dying breed, but it's NOT that serious... They need to just leave the buses at EC. Right now they have no other options for buses up there. Hybrids are basically out of the question, and RTS, are the only buses available right now.

I also find it interesting that 9503, 9580, and 9590 are still there.

Never new they hated the hybrids that much to give up newer buses for older buses is very hurtful. Well it's not as bad as the hate the B/Os are giving the new XDs.

The Pond is down to 5 RTS' and they are all headed out the door. 9383, 9658, 9672, 9674, 9675

The 3 of them are used at Rockaway Pkwy as a checkpoint (relief bus)

Right. I thought they would be swapped with some others by now.

Never new they hated the hybrids that much to give up newer buses for older buses is very hurtful. Well it's not as bad as the hate the B/Os are giving the new XDs.

It's really just the Operators who don't like them. However, the interesting thing is that they don't like the 7XXX series XD's either. Thats why they want RTS back and more 4800's.... The Nova LFS is actually preferred along with the RTS and 4800's when it comes to takeoff. Many Operators will gladly take an LFS over a 7000 series XD because the acceleration is amazing on those new buses... They should just leave a batch there, and send the 7000's to Grand and Ulmer.... But Ulmer is mixed on them.... B6 drivers don't particularly like them either...

The assignments for new buses are different than they have been historically. DOB/ENY surveys the drivers and mechanics on what buses they prefer. This now has a lot to do with what goes where versus the old days of "blind assignments."

The assignments for new buses are different than they have been historically. DOB/ENY surveys the drivers and mechanics on what buses they prefer. This now has a lot to do with what goes where versus the old days of "blind assignments."

Yes, but maintainers can move around. You might have a group in Manhattanville who don't like Model A, so Manhattanville officially doesn't like Model A and the consultant orders top management to send the Model A buses to Gun Hill. Then some of the maintainers from Manhattanville pick into Gun Hill, which means that Gun Hill officially doesn't like Model A.  

Not to derail the thread, but I've heard many complaints about the LFS mirrors from operators.

Thats been an issue reported about Nova products for ages. Operators don't like the mirrors on the RTS. They are actually the least favorite of all the buses. And from being in the seat many times myself I would agree. I however don't have a major issue with the mirrors on the LFS/LFSA, however, the viewing range isn't that great curbside. 

@East New York

Do you have any idea when the "improved" XD60's will hit service on the Q10?

Yeah as shane said there is no way for us to know now. The wrap still has to be applied to 5364 which is currently at the vendor. It doesn't look like it's ready yet. It may also hold up delivery of the option 40 foot buses as well. The last few buses off the line are all white with no markings other than coach numbers written on the windshields.

Yes, but maintainers can move around. You might have a group in Manhattanville who don't like Model A, so Manhattanville officially doesn't like Model A and the consultant orders top management to send the Model A buses to Gun Hill. Then some of the maintainers from Manhattanville pick into Gun Hill, which means that Gun Hill officially doesn't like Model A.  

Even if maintainers move around it still isn't likely that a whole group is going to pick into another depot. In the event they did hypothetically speaking all pick into another depot then the scenario you pointed out could be possible. However, that still has nothing to do with the previous survey and what DOB assigned at that time they made their decision. They are being nice enough to even take surveys now. They aren't concerned with who moved where, and it's not likely a whole group will move anyway. 

When someone does transfer, if they are moving to a depot with buses they don't care for then that really isn't the TA's problem. However, because the fleet is so standardized these days, most of the fleets with the exception of a few depots are mixed anyway.

4701-4702 was always at Grand Av. Since the 2 were delivered late, it was sent there for free.

Oh, I see. Is that why those specific units were dubbed "the free buses"?

Also, is it possible that GA Is getting more 39xxs from either SI or The Bronx? I'd hate for 3960 to be the only 3900 over in that part of town lol.

Shocked the ENY drivers prefer the RTS over the Hybrids, would think the convenience of the wheelchair ramp alone drivers would prefer the Hybrids. LF's buses have there fair share of issues but the wheelchair ramp makes the boarding process so much quicker... I once ridden a BX21 bus that had like 4-5 wheelchair riders between the Hub and West Farms Sq, I wouldn't be surprised if routes like B25 got a lot of wheelchair riders during the late morning/middays.

Oh, I see. Is that why those specific units were dubbed "the free buses"?

Also, is it possible that GA Is getting more 39xxs from either SI or The Bronx? I'd hate for 3960 to be the only 3900 over in that part of town lol.

Yes.

And, only S.I has 3900s, we don't know yet but GA is getting back its 4500s

Yes.

And, only S.I has 3900s, we don't know yet but GA is getting back its 4500s

Huh?

Forgot about Fresh Pond?

4701-4702 was always at Grand Av. Since the 2 were delivered late, it was sent there for free.

No.

Orion was off schedule. Those two buses were free buses because of them being off schedule. These were never part of the original order.

Edited by Cait Sith

Huh?

Forgot about Fresh Pond?

Now that you mentioned it, that's what I was thinking (leaving out Fresh Pond). Also, by the 3900s in S.I, I meant that only Yukon has the Next Gens at this time (ex. 3961, 3966, 3991-3994, 3996-3999). 

Huh?

Forgot about Fresh Pond?

Now that you mentioned it, that's what I was thinking (leaving out Fresh Pond). Also, by the 3900s in S.I, I meant that only Yukon has the Next Gens at this time (ex. 3961, 3966, 3991-3994, 3996-3999).

Don't forget about Queens Village (#3992 and #3998)