Experts say plans to extend 7 line subway to New Jersey are a dead end, feds won't fund it

Trainmaster5

Me and few blogger / Urban Transit planners came up with this plan. It would hit all the Major city in NJ and relive the NJT Rail system by giving riders a cheaper line.

PATH / Light Rail system expansions - SI / Union County / Middlesex County

The PATH system would be expanded down to the Airport , Port Elizabeth / Jersey Gardens and Midtown Elizabeth which account for 60,000 jobs. Midtown Elizabeth would become a JCT for 3 systems , another PATH line would run between Midtown Elizabeth and Cranford station on the Raritan Valley line, the line would serve as a connector in the NJT Railway system and connect Midtown Elizabeth which is quickly becoming a mini Jersey City.

The other line would be a streetcar or Light Rail line on the busy Route 27 / Board Street corridor and connect Downtown Newark and Midtown Elizabeth. The last PATH line would run between Midtown Elizabeth and St. Gorges ferry Terminal , due to cost reasons we came up with an odd route. We were thinking in Govt ways....LOL.

The line would start in Midtown Elizabeth and head west to Cranford and make a U-turn and head southeast along an abandoned Freight corridor , then merge with a lightly used line before crossing the Arthur Kill into SI and continuing along the North Shore.

Another line would run form Bayonne to Richmond Valley and would be basically an extension of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail system , the line would run along the 440 median.

The last line would run form Nassau SIR to Bound Brook. It would be diesel , like the Riverline. The line would require constructing a lift bridge over the Arthur Kill. Form Nassau SIR , the line would head west over the Arthur Kill and into Perth Amboy. Once in Perth Amboy it would ride lightly used Freight Corridors over the North Jersey Coast line and continue west through the Hopelawn and Fords neighborhood of Woodbridge , the line would cross over the Northeast Corridor line in Metuchen , then tilt North towards South Plainfield were it would merge with the Lehigh CSX corridor an extra track would be required for uninterrupted service , the line would then merge with the Raritan Valley line and continue to Bound Brook.

Projected Ridership for system if it were built by 2040 would be 470,000+

I'll do the rest of the map , including the NJ Gold Coast systems....which i need to tweak ...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106428077390771295791.00048b60c22710c9908f2&ll=40.697885,-74.085703&spn=0.034619,0.077162&z=14

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How I know this is a political ploy:

1. Timing: Only weeks after the original (and frankly better needed) ARC tunnel is killed, Bloomberg decides to come out with this plan that's eerily similar to the one the penguin killed, but only at a fraction of the price? Now Bloomberg may be smarter (using that term very liberally) than the average politician, but he's still a politician. He knows this will help make him look like a pro transit mayor, even if his track record says otherwize.

2. Demand: Where was the demand for this 24 hours before this hit the press (And vanshnookenraggen doesn't count)?

3. Location: Secaucus Junction is pretty isolated. I havent heard of any other stops on this 7 extension, so I'm hard press to believe this will benefit others. If stops were added in Elizabeth, then I'd think differently.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm very pro transit expansion, but I'm pro transit expansion with a purpose that's not self serving.

Also, PATH could use a little expanding also. I'm sure there's no reason why they can't serve Hackensack or Elizabeth. And I'm not saying that MTA cant do it, but our agency doesn't have to be the only one expanding in Jersey!

Fair enough. It's true that City Hall came up with the proposal a little too quickly, which at first glance does seem a bit suspicious. And while there are currently no proposed intermediate stations, you have to remember that there isn't even a formally commissioned study for this proposal. If there were and it called for a "closed-door" operation to Secaucus Transfer with no other stations, then it would be "asinine," as some posters have already referred to it on this and other message boards. But if by some miracle, other politicians and entities (Gov. Christie, various NJ mayors, Port Authority, etc.) become interested and want to formally study the idea to see if it's feasible, then I would be surprised if other station locations and various alignments were not studied.

As for PATH, I've previously stated in this thread that I think that would be another good alternative to the now-dead ARC project. I've always wanted to see PATH expand. It's a good system, faster, cleaner and more reliable than the subway. I'd be open to a new PATH line running along a similar alignment to the (7) extension. But it would be best to run in a new crosstown subway once it gets to Manhattan as opposed to connecting into the existing PATH system. I think if any new PATH lines are connected into the existing PATH tunnels, it will require a reduction in the existing PATH services, which wouldn't be good.

Me and few blogger / Urban Transit planners came up with this plan. It would hit all the Major city in NJ and relive the NJT Rail system by giving riders a cheaper line.

The PATH system would be expanded down to the Airport , Port Elizabeth / Jersey Gardens and Midtown Elizabeth which account for 60,000 jobs. Midtown Elizabeth would become a JCT for 3 systems , another PATH line would run between Midtown Elizabeth and Cranford station on the Raritan Valley line, the line would serve as a connector in the NJT Railway system and connect Midtown Elizabeth which is quickly becoming a mini Jersey City.

The other line would be a streetcar or Light Rail line on the busy Route 27 / Board Street corridor and connect Downtown Newark and Midtown Elizabeth. The last PATH line would run between Midtown Elizabeth and St. Gorges ferry Terminal , due to cost reasons we came up with an odd route. We were thinking in Govt ways....LOL.

The line would start in Midtown Elizabeth and head west to Cranford and make a U-turn and head southeast along an abandoned Freight corridor , then merge with a lightly used line before crossing the Arthur Kill into SI and continuing along the North Shore.

Another line would run form Bayonne to Richmond Valley and would be basically an extension of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail system , the line would run along the 440 median.

The last line would run form Nassau SIR to Bound Brook. It would be diesel , like the Riverline. The line would require constructing a lift bridge over the Arthur Kill. Form Nassau SIR , the line would head west over the Arthur Kill and into Perth Amboy. Once in Perth Amboy it would ride lightly used Freight Corridors over the North Jersey Coast line and continue west through the Hopelawn and Fords neighborhood of Woodbridge , the line would cross over the Northeast Corridor line in Metuchen , then tilt North towards South Plainfield were it would merge with the Lehigh CSX corridor an extra track would be required for uninterrupted service , the line would then merge with the Raritan Valley line and continue to Bound Brook.

I'll do the rest of the map , including the NJ Gold Coast systems....which i need to tweak ...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106428077390771295791.00048b60c22710c9908f2&ll=40.697885,-74.085703&spn=0.034619,0.077162&z=14

Interesting. I look forward to seeing your completed map.

How about this:

-Newark Light Rail extended to Midtown Elizabeth via Jersey Gardens

-PATH extended to Cranford via Northeast Corridor Line and the freight line.

-Line from Staten Island to Bound Brook.

-PATH extended from Hoboken north to Secaucus Junction and then east through through the 42nd Street Shuttle (provided it can clear the 8th Avenue, 7th Avenue, and Broadway Lines).

-Branch of Newark Light Rail Line from Jersey Gardens to Staten Island.

The only reason I'm supporting the PATH extension to Cranford and the line from Staten Island to Bound Brook is because it would use existing freight corridors. Otherwise, I would say to fill the gap in service with buses instead of trains.

That's it, I'm fired up....

Inconceivable....

The proverbial icing on the cake.... Now it's gotten to me having to gawk at someone's pipe dream, as far as expanding service in New Jersey in here.... I see why certain people go on tirades when they post in this section....

It's bad enough we've gotta hear/read about plans of the goddamn (7) train going to Secaucus (the plan of it getting sent to Jacob Javits, and, what was the other one, 14th/8th, was just as idiotic)... There was a reason I didn't chime in within the first 10 pages of this thread....AFAIC, this ridiculous plan of sending the (7) to NJ sounded like bullshit when I first heard about it on the news, and it still does to this day....

- Is NJ's system that substandard where a NYC line has to serve it?

- Is PATH not enough? I mean, the service serves 2/3rd of NYC's CBD's for crying out loud....

- Are the bevy of bus routes running in & out of PABT not enough?

- ...and don't give me the lame duck excuse of "oh, expanding intra-state rail service will lessen the amount of personal vehicles that clog up the Holland & the Lincoln"... b/c we know that's a load of crap....

This is why I'm reluctant to coming into this section....

How about this:

-PATH extended from Hoboken north to Secaucus Junction and then east through through the 42nd Street Shuttle (provided it can clear the 8th Avenue, 7th Avenue, and Broadway Lines).

The only reason I'm supporting the PATH extension to Cranford and the line from Staten Island to Bound Brook is because it would use existing freight corridors. Otherwise, I would say to fill the gap in service with buses instead of trains.

By no means is this an expert opinion, but perhaps if a Path train can climb a 'steep' grade b/w 6th and 7th Avs, it could take over the (S). It's that or the Path may need to run via 43rd to avoid the tangled subway lines running thru 42nd St.

How about this:

- The PATH would be able to carry the heavier commuter load then light rail would.

- Southern part of SI to Perth Amboy and Bound Brook would be better and it makes more sense.

- The PATH extended north to Hoboken then to Secaucus doesn't make any sense since the Light Rail serves Hoboken's West and North side in the future. Hoboken is also dense and very walkable. The PATH or a light Rail line running for Hoboken Terminal to Journal SQ and too Secaucus JCT should be built. What you see happening along the waterfront in JC is about to happen in JSQ and the PATH will need help.

- Jersey Gardens to SI is too big a gap , but down further and up is better on an existing tracks.

- If you add a few tracks on the side of any freight corridor in this region then you can convert it into Light or Heavy Rapid Transit.

That's it, I'm fired up....

Inconceivable....

The proverbial icing on the cake.... Now it's gotten to me having to gawk at someone's pipe dream, as far as expanding service in New Jersey in here.... I see why certain people go on tirades when they post in this section....

It's bad enough we've gotta hear/read about plans of the goddamn (7) train going to Secaucus (the plan of it getting sent to Jacob Javits, and, what was the other one, 14th/8th, was just as idiotic)... There was a reason I didn't chime in within the first 10 pages of this thread....AFAIC, this ridiculous plan of sending the (7) to NJ sounded like bullshit when I first heard about it on the news, and it still does to this day....

- Is NJ's system that substandard where a NYC line has to serve it?

- Is PATH not enough? I mean, the service serves 2/3rd of NYC's CBD's for crying out loud....

- Are the bevy of bus routes running in & out of PABT not enough?

- ...and don't give me the lame duck excuse of "oh, expanding intra-state rail service will lessen the amount of personal vehicles that clog up the Holland & the Lincoln"... b/c we know that's a load of crap....

This is why I'm reluctant to coming into this section....

I started the thread to gauge if there was any interest from forum members in such a plan. I just happened to see an article pop up on the NYT web page with the Emperor and some other politicos' comments on such a plan. I believe I pointed out the money aspect rather directly, with each agency and state, along with the speculators, all trying to feed at the money trough. I tried to make a point that only the PA had the clout to pull off such a bi-state project because I truly believe that federal funding for an individual state's project will probably never happen again with this country's political atmosphere. I figured I'd sit back and see what everyone thought. I never believed that this, and related, threads would carry on so long. I never counted on the members coming up with so many detailed proposals for extensions. Some of them are very creative while some seem to be made up while "under the influence" but, B35, I just sit back and enjoy them. I'm still waiting for someone to answer the question I asked back then. If this admittedly far out, over the top proposal, was to somehow see the light of feasibility WHO would be the lead agency? Nobody has really tried to answer that for me although I've seen all types of agencies mentioned. It's all fun ,though I know where you're coming from.

- The PATH would be able to carry the heavier commuter load then light rail would.

- Southern part of SI to Perth Amboy and Bound Brook would be better and it makes more sense.

- The PATH extended north to Hoboken then to Secaucus doesn't make any sense since the Light Rail serves Hoboken's West and North side in the future. Hoboken is also dense and very walkable. The PATH or a light Rail line running for Hoboken Terminal to Journal SQ and too Secaucus JCT should be built. What you see happening along the waterfront in JC is about to happen in JSQ and the PATH will need help.

- Jersey Gardens to SI is too big a gap , but down further and up is better on an existing tracks.

- If you add a few tracks on the side of any freight corridor in this region then you can convert it into Light or Heavy Rapid Transit.

-I can't see a whole bunch of people using the PATH if it went to Jersey Gardens. I think a light rail line is sufficient.

-I said I agreed with your SI-Perth Amboy-Bound Brook plan, only because it was built on existing trackage.

-I said to extend the PATH tracks from Hoboken to Secaucus Junction and then across 42nd Street to connect with the 42nd Street Shuttle. You would have 3 full-time PATH routes and 2 part-time routes:

Newark-World Trade Center (current route)

Journal Square-33rd Street (current route)

Journal Square-Grand Central via Hoboken, Secaucus, and 42nd Street Shuttle

Hoboken-World Trade Center (current route)

Hoboken-33rd Street (current route)

-You could have 2 light rail services south of Jersey Gardens-one to Staten Island and one to Midtown Elizabeth.

-I thought you could use the existing tracks for rail service and have the freight trains come at off-peak times.

My opinion on this is that there is no need for a (7) subway extension to NJ. There is a reason why ARC was proposed as a railroad extension. I don't blame Gov. Christie for canceling the project either; costs were estimated to be as much as $5 billion over the original budget. Do you know how much $5 billion is? Yes the project is necessary but budget overruns are one of the main issues that are plaguing every major transit project today. I don't know the complete details of the original ARC plan but costs would definitely have to be reviewed for construction to commence again at a reasonable cost.

Now to correct some misinformation:

They are but I doubt the (MTA) would sell the Flushing Line which is one of their most profitable lines.

None of the (MTA)'s lines run at a profit. Some get more ridership than others but there is not a single line with over a 100% farebox recovery ratio. Operating cost is almost always, if not always higher than farebox revenue.

The (MTA) started construction of the (7) extension on 2007. It would be 2013 before it's done. If they do extend to Secaucus it won't be complete for a long time. First the extension is only 1 and a half miles away from Times Square, and it took 6 years. Secaucus and Hoboken is 6 miles away from Times Square. That is 4 times the distance so it should be 4 times the amount of time. That would be 24 years. If construction started next year it would be 2035 before it's finished.

Also not true. The distance is not proportional to the amount of time it takes to construct something. This is why if you added a second TBM to Phase I of SAS, the project's overall timeline would not be affected one bit. Tunnel construction takes a fairly short amount of time when considering a megaproject; what takes the majority of the time is the construction of the actual stations, communications, etc. It would not take 24 years of straight construction to finish building a megaproject such as ARC or a (7) extension.

The New York City Subway serves New York City Only that is why it is called the New York City Subway, and it well never leave New York City.

What's in a name? The original BRT (Brooklyn Rapid Transit) eventually found its way into Manhattan (Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit), and today you can take a train from the southern tip of Brooklyn at Coney Island, all the way to the north Bronx via the (D) train. Yes, there are laws that prevent expansion into other cities/states but it's not like these are hard laws that are unchangeable, especially when taking Federal involvement under consideration. This is slightly off-topic but this also applies to your "FRA regulations are permanent" logic. FRA regulations can change, as is evident in the SIR which is no longer under an FRA waiver since it was severed from the national railraod network in the 1980s.

-I can't see a whole bunch of people using the PATH if it went to Jersey Gardens. I think a light rail line is sufficient.

-I said I agreed with your SI-Perth Amboy-Bound Brook plan, only because it was built on existing trackage.

-I said to extend the PATH tracks from Hoboken to Secaucus Junction and then across 42nd Street to connect with the 42nd Street Shuttle. You would have 3 full-time PATH routes and 2 part-time routes:

Newark-World Trade Center (current route)

Journal Square-33rd Street (current route)

Journal Square-Grand Central via Hoboken, Secaucus, and 42nd Street Shuttle

Hoboken-World Trade Center (current route)

Hoboken-33rd Street (current route)

-You could have 2 light rail services south of Jersey Gardens-one to Staten Island and one to Midtown Elizabeth.

-I thought you could use the existing tracks for rail service and have the freight trains come at off-peak times.

Well if the PATH is going to the EWR why not extend it to Jersey Gardens / Port Elizabeth and Midtown Elizabeth. Light Rail would able to handle the stress load of all that Jersey Gardens Mall traffic. Jersey Gardens is mostly used by New Yorkers form nearby SI. hmmm....

NJ Transit and PATH would never allow the 7 to be extended. Who would pay $5 + for a one way ride when they can jump on the 7 train for $2.25? The MTA would put NJ Transit out of business.

Then NJT and/or PATH must come up with a better idea. Doing nothing in the wake of canceling ARC is not an option. Our metro area continues to gain population yet we have the same infrastructre we had 30 years ago. It's struggling to keep up with the present demand. Imagine what traffic across the Hudson will be like in another 30 years if we still have the same Hudson River crossings and nothing more.

Now the NYT is reporting that Gov Christie and NYC Emperor Bloomberg are in discussions on the plan. The hope appears to be that NYC, NJ, and NYState will look at funding the plan jointly. Gov. Christie says it's cheaper than the ARC plan. The article is under the NY Region subsection of the NYT home page.

Now the NYT is reporting that Gov Christie and NYC Emperor Bloomberg are in discussions on the plan. The hope appears to be that NYC, NJ, and NYState will look at funding the plan jointly. Gov. Christie says it's cheaper than the ARC plan. The article is under the NY Region subsection of the NYT home page.

TRENTON (AP) — Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, who halted construction last month on a new commuter rail tunnel to New York City, said on Monday that he would consider using state money to help finance an extension of the No. 7 subway line under the Hudson River to Secaucus instead.

Speaking on “Ask the Governor” on Millennium Radio, Mr. Christie said the subway plan was “a much better idea” than the tunnel, which would have been the nation’s most expensive public works project.

Christie May Aid Subway Tunnel

The only way I could see this working is if a closed-door system was put into place like how Long Island bus is operated: no pickups heading to Queens within Queens and no drop-offs heading to Nassau within Queens. If such an extension ever becomes a reality, just build the stations with side platforms so all Jersey bound trains within NJ don't drop off passengers except at the last stop and all NYC-bound trains within New Jersey pick up passengers only (with emergency exits in case of, well, emergency). Just my take.

I saw part of Christie's radio interview on NY1 this morning. He mentioned that the 7 alternative has the advantage of serving the east side of Midtown, which ARC would not have done. If Christie is giving serious consideration to this idea, then things are about to get very interesting here.

The only way I could see this working is if a closed-door system was put into place like how Long Island bus is operated: no pickups heading to Queens within Queens and no drop-offs heading to Nassau within Queens. If such an extension ever becomes a reality, just build the stations with side platforms so all Jersey bound trains within NJ don't drop off passengers except at the last stop and all NYC-bound trains within New Jersey pick up passengers only (with emergency exits in case of, well, emergency). Just my take.

What they should really consider doing is adding a side platform at each of the existing Manhattan 7 stations. Queens-bound passengers would use the existing island platforms while Manhattan- and Jersey-bound passengers would use the new side platforms, similar to the set-up at Bowling Green.

But I don't think a discharge inbound/recieve outbound policy will work. You can get away with that on commuter rail or Amtrak services, because their trains have fewer places to board and exit. Subway trains have many more side doors per train so it would a lot harder to monitor people boarding and existing at stations that they're not supposed to.

What they should really consider doing is adding a side platform at each of the existing Manhattan 7 stations. Queens-bound passengers would use the existing island platforms while Manhattan- and Jersey-bound passengers would use the new side platforms, similar to the set-up at Bowling Green.

But I don't think a discharge inbound/recieve outbound policy will work. You can get away with that on commuter rail or Amtrak services, because their trains have fewer places to board and exit. Subway trains have many more side doors per train so it would a lot harder to monitor people boarding and existing at stations that they're not supposed to.

You don't get it:

This closed-door system would only work in New Jersey, not within the city limits. Depending on how many stops there are built in Jersey, make them all side platform stations so all Secaucus-bound platforms have an exit turnstile but don't allow entries, and Manhattan-bound stations have an entrance turnstiles and don't allow exits. This would ease the "unfair interstate competition" between the (7) line and New Jersey Transit and PATH, and if a passenger wants to get from Point A to B within Jersey, let 'em use NJT/PATH.

Archived