R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

So my filmmakers ear wasn't wrong. Subarashii.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Correct. The inverter number I received is exactly the same as the one on the 5000 series.

The interior sign's looks a lot similar to the ones on the R110A, with more space, but with the use of the R160 LED components.

The exterior signs however look like the ones on the R143's.

The 179 has almost the exact same FIND display as the 160. The FIND displays are manufactured by Panasonic. All routes are programmed into the AAS. The FIND on the 179 is just the newer model of the display. Basically the only change on the 179 FIND is the fact that they have a larger LCD screen where the route is displayed. Other then that the system is basically the same.

from an employee matches to that of the 5000 series.

Edited by jamesman8

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct. The inverter number I received is exactly the same as the one on the 5000 series.

The 179 has almost the exact same FIND display as the 160. The FIND displays are manufactured by Panasonic. All routes are programmed into the AAS. The FIND on the 179 is just the newer model of the display. Basically the only change on the 179 FIND is the fact that they have a larger LCD screen where the route is displayed. Other then that the system is basically the same.

NO not the FIND SYSTEM I'm talking about the interior signs that display "THE NEXT STOP IS".

Anybody got a nice close pic of the LCD video screen portion of the new FINDs?

NO not the FIND SYSTEM I'm talking about the interior signs that display "THE NEXT STOP IS".

The interior display on the ceiling looks longer and sharper-edged than the R160's. That really stands out for some reason.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Exactly! There is a quite obvious difference between the R160s and the R179s from the look of it.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Anybody got a nice close pic of the LCD video screen portion of the new FINDs?

Here a pic of a interior of an R179 interior FIND (not mine) of what they look like looks exactly like an R179.

Edit: The link is messed up I'll post later.

Edited by B46 via Utica

Here a pic of a interior of an R179 interior FIND (not mine) of what they look like looks exactly like an R179.

May I add any leaked photos will get staff members in trouble, (inside shots e.t.c). Heard today that a guy posted a video of testing on SAS. Apparently the guy got sacked after the media picked up the video.

May I add any leaked photos will get staff members in trouble, (inside shots e.t.c). Heard today that a guy posted a video of testing on SAS. Apparently the guy got sacked after the media picked up the video.

@ B46.  Please send me the link by private message if you like, to avoid the staff member sacking.

Whoever shot that video of SAS track testing and put it up should have known this was going to happen. That NDA that you sign isn't just a piece of silly paper. It's a LEGALLY BINDING document, and if you violate it, the agency is free to do whatever they want to you in terms of your employment with them.

READ FIRST:

On my second try today, 11/1/16, I was able to grab the remaining clips I wished to get of the R179 track testing in the Rockaways. Here is the full compilation of video of the test train I have from both dates, 10/28 and 11/1.

First, we have the shots of the train moving, which provide good sample sound for the propulsion. Basically, the pitch changes follow the same profile as the R160B Siemens sets, but the actual sound itself is of a different type.

Next we have the set walkdown @ Broad Channel. And interesting thing to note is that one truck in the set, the number 2 end truck of 3010, is a trailer truck (unpowered). All other trucks are motorized. Whether this is purely an instrumental testing truck, or if this feature will be part of the order remains to be seen. LoL at the employee joking about dropping the window and telling buffs to stop filming =P

And finally, we have clips of the test train actually on the test track, shot from other A trains passing the test track area. Enjoy the action, and stay tuned for clips from system-wide clearance testing which is to happen soon, hopefully =)

From an anonymous wikipedia edit (speaking of 3015-3019):

"There are only 5 built the other 5 still haven't even finished vibration testing in Plattsburgh, and don't even have components in them yet."

What exactly qualifies as "built", like finished R179's or FINSHED car shells?

Things I noticed from that video..

The compressor is loud.

The font on the side signs is different than the 143/160

The propulsion at its highest pitch is as loud as an subway car with screeching brakes, any fans who hate 32s with screechy brakes are gonna be disappointed with these 179s, imagine how loud it is in the tunnel  :lol:

Things I noticed from that video..

The compressor is loud.

The font on the side signs is different than the 143/160

The propulsion at its highest pitch is as loud as an subway car with screeching brakes, any fans who hate 32s with screechy brakes are gonna be disappointed with these 179s, imagine how loud it is in the tunnel  :lol:

Listen to the CTA 5000 series. They are very loud because it lets employee's know whether or not the motors are working correctly, which is an advantage to current motors which can be more difficult to find problems with.

From an anonymous wikipedia edit (speaking of 3015-3019):

"There are only 5 built the other 5 still haven't even finished vibration testing in Plattsburgh, and don't even have components in them yet."

I bet $5 dollars 3010-3014 end up entering 30 day testing on the (G) because the other 5 cars haven't shown up by then.