R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

And that they haven't been on the (G) in a while justifies it? If you wanted to see R46s on the (G), you should have checked out the Tunnel closure on the (G).

During the Greenpoint tunnel closuer 68s were still used. I posted on the G during schoolcar at that time. Posted on 68s.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

In fact, the (G) is especially going to need the extra R46s in 2019, when the (L) shuts down and (G) service rises significantly.

No, I never said they'll use R46s. I'm just saying that when the (L) shuts down in 2019 and the R179s hopefully comes to the (A) by then, I think the (G) should use some extra R46 sets from the (A) because of increased service on (G) and (M) trains. Making only 8 cars sets from the existing R68 cars on the (G) could cause more delays. Plus, it's been a while since R46s ran normally on the (G) line.

"(G) is especially going to need extra R46s in 2019"

And how would full length 68s cause more delays?

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"(G) is especially going to need extra R46s in 2019"

And how would full length 68s cause more delays?

Because they're probably going to use the existing R68s from the  (G) to make these full length cars and more cars used up from the current R68 fleet on the (G) means less trains. Taking a lot more trains from the Coney Island yard would not benefit the other trains running.

Edited by Cone E Island

Because they're probably going to use the existing R68s from the (G) to make these full length cars and more cars used up from the current R68 fleet on the (G) means less trains. Taking a lot more trains from the Coney Island yard would not benefit the other trains running.

The 179s will most likely be in service by then and the 32s will be around till after the L tunnel work. A fleet shuffle to free up more 68s may happen. Did you not factor in those possibilities?

This is the plan for 2019 (based on the thread.):

(B) - R68's will be shifted over the (G) to make the (G) double length. R32's from the (J) and (Z) will be swapped over to Concourse only for the (B).

(C) - 4 car sets of R160's/R179's. R32's will be shifted over to the (B) as well, but some will be retired and scrapped.

(A) - 5 car sets of R179's/R46's

(J)/(Z) - R160's/R179's/R143's. There is a possibility that the (M) will use R179's as well since its also based out of ENY. 

(G) - 4 car sets of R68's/R68A's

(L) - Half of the unused R143's and R160's from the (L) will maybe go to the (J)(M) and (Z).

There are, however, sets that start out of Concourse for the (B) during the rush periods.

I know that but they aren't based out of there. Those are layups that comes out for the Rush Hours.

Just like those (R) put ins/deadheads that comes from CIY and those (2)(5) trains out of Livonia Yard. They're stored there as Rush Hour Trains put ins but they don't get their cars maintain there.

Always remember folks, everything here is a rumor until it actually happens. Regardless of where you hear or read about some car assignment shift or new route that may come to be, unless it's posted in an MTA press release, the information could change radically.

For the last time the R32 (B) is just a damn rumor. They're still banned from the (B) until further notice. If that ban is lifted by the time the R179's displace the R32's elsewhere then the R32's going to the (B) would make sense.

If that's the case the R32's will be on the (A) while some R46's from pitkin will be moved to Jamaica while some R160s will be moved to Coney Island yard so the R68's from (B) to be moved to the (G) for full length trains.

For the last time the R32 (B) is just a damn rumor. They're still banned from the (B) until further notice. If that ban is lifted by the time the R179's displace the R32's elsewhere then the R32's going to the (B) would make sense.

Well for the record, 160s on the C was also a "rumor" as well as 40Slants ending on the A.

All im saying is within RTO, word gets out then word gets out among the community and then other possible "scenarios" get thrown out there. Then it becomes a game of "telephone" with the original rumor getting blown out of proportion. Personally because of my own reasons which im not going to bother to get into, Im expecting 32s on the B (dispite being banned from Montague-honestly how often are Bravos sent up broadway) but as Lance said, a rumor is just a rumor before it happens. So lets try to keep speculating alternate scenarios to a bare minimum and we'll see what happens.

While commuting from far rock to my job in Manhattan today, i can now announce this:

The R179 is now being tested on the Broad Channel Flats!

Ima try to get a pic tomorrow while going to work.

Yes! This is progress! 

Have they turned the signs on yet/ And when the hell are the other 5 cars gonna come?

The R179 is laid up out in the open at Pikin Yard, its in the part of the yard closest to the Movie theater, first time seeing the 179 in person! Train is very clean and the underbody equipment is still nice and shiny, tail lights was on. The font for the number plate looks different than the 160s.

If anyone wants to see it this weekend, just walk up the ramp that goes to the parking lot on Linden Blvd.

Checked it out just now. The angle isn't all that good and you can barely shoot through the fencing. For any of you thinking about it, don't bother; just wait for the road testing to start.

Yeah, it really isn't worth it lol. 

Anyways... here's a link to the new BART cars running. The 179s could potentially have the same propulsion. (Not my video)

Edited by Tech And Transit