R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the test track just north of broad channel. Going to work today I passed it just after 12 and it looked like they were setting it and the 46 set with it up to head back to Pitkin. Tried to take video but my phone decided at that moment to freeze on me. Guess I'm waiting till Monday earliest

The train finished testing around 12:15, and left Broad Channel at 12:40. Here is the train pulling out from F5 track into the station. It turned so quickly that I was not able to position myself well for a departure shot. I will try again next week.

Edited by Fan Railer

The train finished testing around 12:15, and left Broad Channel at 12:40. Here is the train pulling out from F5 track into the station. It turned so quickly that I was not able to position myself well for a departure shot. I will try again next week.

Thank you so much for the video and for the effort! I wish I could go out there. 

TBH that propulsion sounds annoying, then again I haven't heard it person. If its a loud as as I think it is then I kinda hope they went with Alstom Onix or the R143 propulsion.

It's MITRAC propulsion with new inverters. So far, what I gather from what I've heard today (but didn't manage to get on video), the pitch follows a similar profile to the R160B Siemens propulsion.

Now that I'm hearing the train at a regular speed, it sounds like the CTA 5000 series, which also use MITRAC (which one I don't know).

It really doesn't sound like the CTA 5ks. Those have a cleaner tone and sound like the WMATA 5ks, TTC rocket, and LUL 2009 stock. The 179's starting tone is more sheet-like, similar to the M8 or the WMATA 7ks.

The inverter model number I have fan Railer is exactly the same as the CTA 5000 inverter. It sounds different due to the weight of the train cars being significantly heavier then then CTA 5000 series.

So my filmmakers ear wasn't wrong. Subarashii.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk