R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure the R42s are not going anywhere soon; not until the TA is absolutely sure they're not needed anymore. And who knows what nonsense might come up with the delivery of the R211s, considering that contract involves far more cars...

As soon as there are 50 R179s in service, the R42s are as good as dead. The (MTA) wants those gone ASAP

oh ok. Is this the part that powers the train when it doesn't have third rail power, or am I thinking of something else?

No, it basically makes the 37.5 V from 600 V.  Lights, communications, radios, etc. will run on 37.5 V.  Charges the batteries too.  All of those low voltage systems run on battery when traversing the third rail gaps.

No, it basically makes the 37.5 V from 600 V.  Lights, communications, radios, etc. will run on 37.5 V.  Charges the batteries too.  All of those low voltage systems run on battery when traversing the third rail gaps.

If I remember correctly

600V DC > IGBT > 400/420V AC for motors.

I believe you are correct with the low voltage systems at around 37/38V with the HVAC pulling the rest.

NTT cars can run on a voltage range of 450Vdc on the low end to about 800/780Vdc at max with 600Vdc at nominal. These were the specs for the 142/143 classes when I was at Kawasaki. 

Thanks bro ! Are they going to do the clearance test like 3010-3014 or the point of the clearance test is so that the R179 can be accepted faster ?

The point of clearance testing is to make sure each brand new car class can fit in the system; it has nothing to do with anything being accepted faster. It's standard procedure for these procurements; the R211 will be no different. 3015-3019 are now in Pitkin, after having been towed down early Tuesday morning. After they have their third rail shoes installed, they will presumably be track tested on the Broad Channel test track. After that, it's anyone's guess what will happen with them between then and the 30 day revenue test.