R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an update from Javier via email:

"3015-3017 have completed all of their water, vibration and vertical stability tests, and are 90% complete. 3018 is still having major shell design problems (at this point they may have to scrap it.) 3019 is still experiencing power issues, they may need to rebuild the whole entire car circuit. 3015 I have no word on yet except that it passed everything and is 90% complete, so I'll see where that gets us."

You were saying...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL0AKyYhzMU

R-179 Propulsion sounds similar to this clip of an M-8 decelerating.

Same stuff under the hood, I do believe.

Looks like a full-length train will be testing by Christmas, eh?

The M8 uses Mitsubishi Electric propulsion. The R179 uses Bombardier propulsion. Not the same thing.

These will end up on the A, C, and J lines. Will the R179's also end up on the BDMQ lines? I'm trying my best to keep up with all this like I said I have a busy schedule. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They could get onto the M, but they won't be officially assigned. It could be like R160s on the R. They won't go on the B D Q.

The M doesn't appear to share any of the SMEE fleet with the J/Z, so the opposite could be true as well.

In other news.... Thanks to Tech and Transit for these photos, since I couldn't be at 215th yesterday. Seems 3015 has been delivered with the same truck configuration as 3010; that being the No. 2 end truck is an unpowered trailer. I'll be interesting to see if these trailer trucks become standard on the rest of the order, or if they're just temporary and swapped out for motorized trucks at a later date. What's interesting is that only 3010 and 3015 have them. 3014 and presumably 3019 (which I haven't seen detailed photos of yet) have motorized trucks on both ends. At any rate, the presence of unattached motor lead cables suggests that this trailer truck thing may indeed be temporary, but at this point, the exact reason for their presence eludes me.

15085582_1339675086084439_57174149023694

15157007_1339675109417770_48130542890858

Just curious (and I haven't seen this addressed here yet):

Is there going to be a "prototype" 8 car set, in addition to the prototype 10 car set, or will they all be considered production cars?

and also, does each set get tested in the Rockaways before entering passenger service or is that just the prototype sets?

The M doesn't appear to share any of the SMEE fleet with the J/Z, so the opposite could be true as well.

In other news.... Thanks to Tech and Transit for these photos, since I couldn't be at 215th yesterday. Seems 3015 has been delivered with the same truck configuration as 3010; that being the No. 2 end truck is an unpowered trailer. I'll be interesting to see if these trailer trucks become standard on the rest of the order, or if they're just temporary and swapped out for motorized trucks at a later date. What's interesting is that only 3010 and 3015 have them. 3014 and presumably 3019 (which I haven't seen detailed photos of yet) have motorized trucks on both ends. At any rate, the presence of unattached motor lead cables suggests that this trailer truck thing may indeed be temporary, but at this point, the exact reason for their presence eludes me.

15085582_1339675086084439_57174149023694

15157007_1339675109417770_48130542890858

Wow...What he was up under the car....What a photo... :D

Just curious (and I haven't seen this addressed here yet):

Is there going to be a "prototype" 8 car set, in addition to the prototype 10 car set, or will they all be considered production cars?

and also, does each set get tested in the Rockaways before entering passenger service or is that just the prototype sets?

Just the prototype (or first cars to get here, seems interchangeable these days lol) sets go through the test in the Rockaways. Whatever flaws get found there gets fixed before the next set of cars come in.

Then comes the actual 30-day passenger test. 30 straight days in service with no problems, or else the clock resets and they gotta do it again.

Once that is done, then more cars will start to trickle in.