R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion I think the MTA told Bombardier to hold on from sending the other sets for smart reasons because just in case they need to fix anything that's they wrong with the 3010-3014 so they can quickly modify the oncoming car so in turn they can have the other cars rapidly coming in and mostly do a burn-in test and start putting those cars in service lol . Because I find it odd to start testing the 1st 5 without the other sets. Even though it has happen before but still the mind does wonder lol

Welp, it's been a minute since I've been on here. Drama, work, etc, etc.

Anyways, I've faded away from the recent transit trends but I've been catching up with at least the R179's arrival. Now, I want to know when will these sets be testing in the Rockaways? I've seen the videos it was testing at Howard-JFK. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Priincenene

Welp, it's been a minute since I've been on here. Drama, work, etc, etc.

Anyways, I've faded away from the recent transit trends but I've been catching up with at least the R179's arrival. Now, I want to know when will these sets be testing in the Rockaways? I've seen the videos it was testing at Howard-JFK. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It's been testing out in the flats for about 2 weeks now.

Update on the R179's:

As you all know, 3015-3019 was expected to arrive by Mid to late Septemeber/October, however we've come into more roadblocks.

3015 had cracks in its chassis when it was being built, one of the reasons why the set has been delayed.

3016 passed the vibration testing and started having components installed, nearing 87% completion.

3017 passed the vibration testing and started having components installed.

3018 had a "design construction flaw" (I don't know what this means I'm just reading off the email) in the front of the car, delaying it by 2 weeks.

3019 had major software issues and onboard electronic power issues that delayed it by 2 weeks (similar to what 3010 is experiencing.)

3020-3024 was suppose to start construction a week ago, but the delayment of 3015-3019 delayed the who entire construction back by at least a month and a half.

If these issues are sorted out, 3015-3019 should be here by mid-December.

I think 3000-3009 was the first fully rejected set. They moved the order up to 3010-3019. 3000-3009 isn't part of the order anymore.

Since the car bodies already exist, why not reuse them rather than letting them go to waste?

3000-3009 (ironically) had to get rejected due to the cracks found in the car body. Now, 3015 and 3018 are experiencing the same issues for some unknown reason. My guess there's a design flaw in both the A and B cars, or they're not building it correctly.