SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

9 hours ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Which R62As would you say are in worse shape overall. The ones that stayed on the :1:. Or the sets that came from the (6) to the (7) and then back to the (6). The (1) and (6) are very similar because these trains are high ridership locals that run up to The Bronx with the same equipment. 207 St isn't known as a great yard and Westchester isn't known for greatness either. So from a reliablity and mechanical stand point, which sets are better or worse.

Most of the R62A’s on the (1) are maintained at 240th yard, even though it does share 207th, with the (C)

I haven’t heard of the R62A’s on the (1) having any major problems besides having broken A/C’s on some cars and the occasional stuck door. The ones on the (6) also have those same issue too. 
I feel like (6) ‘s R62A’s are slightly worst, but I don’t know for sure. I’m only basing that off of how they treated their R142A’s when they had them. 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I would like to catch the R42 on the (J)(Z) before it’s too late to do so.

How many R42 trains are currently left on this line and when is the best time of day to encounter them?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to my question. 👍 

@Snorunts, I've also wanted to do this, but haven't gotten out there yet. Ugh. I've heard the best time to see the R42s is during rush hour, but others may know better.

39 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I would like to catch the R42 on the (J)(Z) before it’s too late to do so.

How many R42 trains are currently left on this line and when is the best time of day to encounter them?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to my question. 👍 

It is best to catch the r42s during rush hour. I believe that 1 or 2 trains run on the line. R42s run on the weekend whenever there is a G.O. but they can run whenever there is no G.O. There's about four r42s left because last weekend, not this past weekend, I saw about four trains of r42s in ENY yard when I was waiting for the (J) train.

17 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The Flushing line is starting to get the elevated structure painted into dark green and there are beams between 74 St-Broadway and Junction Blvd.

Basically just putting sprinkles on a turd. At the end of the day, it’s still a turd. What the Flushing el really needs is some serious reconstruction, not netting and paint. 

1 hour ago, Cabanamaner said:

Basically just putting sprinkles on a turd. At the end of the day, it’s still a turd. What the Flushing el really needs is some serious reconstruction, not netting and paint. 

I agree, especially with how heavily used the (7) line is. Of course reconstruction will come at the cost of inconveniencing tons of people, but hey there is no better alternative, Queens is a subway desert compared to Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx. It still impresses me how well the Flushing and Queens Blvd Lines can hold it down in Queens. 

raw?appid=YMailNoble&ymreqid=0d14248b-0f

Im sure this has already been posted, but here are some M signs at 96th Street - 2 Av, months after the service started running. From what I’ve heard, the M to 96th is actually pretty popular, to the point that there might be a political push to make it or something similar permanent after the L train slowdown wraps up. Thoughts?

29 minutes ago, Cabanamaner said:

raw?appid=YMailNoble&ymreqid=0d14248b-0f

Im sure this has already been posted, but here are some M signs at 96th Street - 2 Av, months after the service started running. From what I’ve heard, the M to 96th is actually pretty popular, to the point that there might be a political push to make it or something similar permanent after the L train slowdown wraps up. Thoughts?

I don’t Know where you heard that from, those (M) ‘s to/from 96th are Empty and still confuses Riders. It’s a waste of money if you ask me. Crews sit around for three hours then do a trip or trip and a half then sit around for another hour and a half or deadhead to a storage facility. The (M) to 96 G.O. Is only popular on the weekends serving 6th Avenue only. There’s more (M) trains than there are (F) and (D) trains and that too is frustrating riders. I ALWAYS have customers ask if the (D) or (F) is running. 

1 hour ago, VIP said:

I don’t Know where you heard that from, those (M) ‘s to/from 96th are Empty and still confuses Riders. It’s a waste of money if you ask me. Crews sit around for three hours then do a trip or trip and a half then sit around for another hour and a half or deadhead to a storage facility. The (M) to 96 G.O. Is only popular on the weekends serving 6th Avenue only. There’s more (M) trains than there are (F) and (D) trains and that too is frustrating riders. I ALWAYS have customers ask if the (D) or (F) is running. 

You're basically proving his point. Yeah, there's times where the trains don't carry much, but generally speaking, it does pretty well. 

1 hour ago, VIP said:

That's literally the whole point: to bring riders who would've otherwise taken the (L) from Myrtle Wyckoff, redirect them to the (M), and give them a one seat ride to 14 St. The purpose isn't to serve 2nd Av. The only reason why it goes to 96 St is because it's the only viable terminus for the (M) in Manhattan.

37 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

You're basically proving his point. Yeah, there's times where the trains don't carry much, but generally speaking, it does pretty well. 

I have to agree with VIP. The (D) and (F) compared to the (M) are pretty scarce on weekends, and most (M) 's that I take that go to 96th Street aren't crowded at all.  Doesn't mean I'd get rid of it (Lord knows we don't need more service cuts), but the waits for the (D) and (F) are far too long on weekends. 

1 hour ago, YankeesPwnMets said:

That's literally the whole point: to bring riders who would've otherwise taken the (L) from Myrtle Wyckoff, redirect them to the (M), and give them a one seat ride to 14 St. The purpose isn't to serve 2nd Av. The only reason why it goes to 96 St is because it's the only viable terminus for the (M) in Manhattan.

But my argument still stands, the trains are Empty even on sixth Avenue. People are STILL taking the (L) train.  After the (L) project is complete, no need to send (M)’s to 96th ever. 

1 hour ago, VIP said:

But my argument still stands, the trains are Empty even on sixth Avenue. People are STILL taking the (L) train.  After the (L) project is complete, no need to send (M)’s to 96th ever. 

People are still taking the (L) but those (M) trains are not empty like you say they are. I think the  (M) should stay because not only does it offer Midtown service to/from northern Brooklyn but it adds a 3rd 6th Ave service which I think is needed because the (D) and the (F) tend to be less unreliable and get plagued often by multiple G.O’s occurring on their lines.

Wasn’t the (D) and (F) frequency just recently reduced from 10 to 12 mins on the weekend?

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have to agree with VIP. The (D) and (F) compared to the (M) are pretty scarce on weekends, and most (M) 's that I take that go to 96th Street aren't crowded at all.  Doesn't mean I'd get rid of it (Lord knows we don't need more service cuts), but the waits for the (D) and (F) are far too long on weekends. 

The (D) and (F) on weekends each run every 12 minutes. Concurrently, the (M) runs every 7-8 minutes. So any little delay on the former two increases the wait time. There’s always some kind of track and/or signal work going on the Brooklyn portion of the (D) and the Queens portion of the (F), even if they’re not full closures. The (M) is less affected, but only because of lack of track work going on anywhere along the line.

Not that I justify any of this in any way though. Yes, it sucks.

21 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

People are still taking the (L) but those (M) trains are not empty like you say they are. I think the  (M) should stay because not only does it offer Midtown service to/from northern Brooklyn but it adds a 3rd 6th Ave service which I think is needed because the (D) and the (F) tend to be less unreliable and get plagued often by multiple G.O’s occurring on their lines.

Wasn’t the (D) and (F) frequency just recently reduced from 10 to 12 mins on the weekend?

It’s not needed outside of the partial (L) shutdown. Subway ridership is different on weekends than on weekdays. If VG8 and VIP are correct that the (M) is relatively lightly loaded in Manhattan on weekends, even outside of the partial (L) shutdown, then it isn’t needed.

The average guideline on weekends for 60 foot equipment is 53 people per car and the minimum frequency on any line in the system on weekends is 5 tph (12-minute headways). Once the signals are upgraded, they’ll likely just run more (F) service than extend the (M).

Edited by Jemorie

16 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

It’s not needed outside of the partial (L) shutdown. Subway ridership is different on weekends than on weekdays. If VG8 and VIP are correct that the (M) is relatively lightly loaded in Manhattan on weekends, even outside of the partial (L) shutdown, then it isn’t needed.

The average guideline on weekends for 60 foot equipment is 53 people per car and the minimum frequency on any line in the system on weekends is 5 tph (12-minute headways). Once the signals are upgraded, they’ll likely just run more (F) service than extend the (M).

Chicken and egg much? Ridership is down because service sucks. The way to change that certainly is not to reduce service more -- though I do agree that in a world where other lines could handle increased weekend frequency, the (M) is not the highest and best use of crew time. But this isn't that world, sooooo.

Those aren't the guidelines, btw. Minimum frequency on Saturdays is supposed to be a train every 10 minutes, but flagging throws that out the window. I'd love it if every line could run on 6-8 min headways all weekend, but the chance of that happening within my lifetime is, well, quite close to zero. 

Is there a thread where I can see the current roster of which train models are on certain lines and how many of each model they have?
I’m curious about how many R46 and R160’s (TRAINS) are on the (R) and how many R32, R46, and R179’s (TRAINS) are on the (A).
Forgive me if these are clueless questions, however I don’t have much knowledge about the subway as I do with the buses.

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

Chicken and egg much? Ridership is down because service sucks. The way to change that certainly is not to reduce service more -- though I do agree that in a world where other lines could handle increased weekend frequency, the (M) is not the highest and best use of crew time. But this isn't that world, sooooo.

Wrong. Subway ridership is down on weekends because alot of people are off from school and work with some exceptions such as public schools having Saturday school classes only for those who failed their regular classes the previous semester or previous marking period. Honestly, how the hell is that comparing chicken and egg? Also, I never said anything about reducing service further. I get that you are a highly an informative member of the forums, but nevertheless, the whole reason why I disagree with having the extended (M) is, once again, ridership. If you are traveling within a borough, no one will take the subway unless you don't have a car or unless you don't live near a bus line. Those who don't work or go to school will instead head out to shop, go to movies, visit friends/family, etc. But that all depends on where exactly they're going in those cases.

It isn't that world until the signals are all upgraded. Obviously it takes time. Using your logic, I could very well say that having the extended (M) like it currently is outside of the (L) shutdown is not part of that world either. At least, until the signals are upgraded, as I stated.

The (MTA) would not do any track and signal work if it weren't for relatively less ridership on weekends.

Edited by Jemorie

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

I'd love it if every line could run on 6-8 min headways all weekend, but the chance of that happening within my lifetime is, well, quite close to zero. 

Generally, if trains are not carrying more than the average guideline, then more service isn't needed. In theory, the only way you could do that is if you put any or all track workers and signal workers on completely closed lines instead of both fully closed lines and under traffic.

That is where the problem lies. You get my drift?