SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I hate politics in general, but can someone please tell me why these progressive children are trying to get NYPD off the subways when crime is on the rise???

So these said progressive children can DO crimes on the subways. Same with the “stop and frisk” debacle and now just freaking look....

3 hours ago, VIP said:

So these said progressive children can DO crimes on the subways. Same with the “stop and frisk” debacle and now just freaking look....

Hey now, stop and frisk was useless. They stopped that and literally nothing happened. You can look at the numbers, from 500k stops a year on down and crime went nowhere. Crime actually went down. This conversation is different though...whole separate situation now.

57 minutes ago, VIP said:

The fleet available...

not enough with our current fleet, spare factor went up on anything that runs on queens blvd and the R46's have low spare factor, hence them running like dogshit on the (N)(Q) lines. the (M) has it's own group of R160's now because of CBTC. that's why the (J) runs the R179's alot more.

the (C) was going to be reduced even if the pandemic didn't happen so they could retire the remaining r32's in april of 2020 and have the (A) supplement the (C) if an r46 breaks down.

Edited by R32 3838

9 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Its gonna be funny as hell when they restore full service without bringing back the R32s and service runs just fine. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow but I'm sure whomever is responsible for this kinda thing at the TA knows what they are doing.

have you  ridden the R46's on the (N)(Q) lately?  they run like garbage. CBTC is active on queens blvd and the (M) has a dedicated fleet of R160's due to cbtc.

spare factor is important, this is why they took so long to restore (C)(F) service. They don't trust the R179's when it comes to Reliable service and to avoid having to use some R32's due to cost and covid.

Funny thing is everyone had this same attitude when the r179's were pulled and thought the R32's weren't gonna run. And i told people the (J) needed cars because the (L) was returning to full service. and when they opened up the city partially, the (L) was packed to the brim at 7am in the morning.

Edited by R32 3838

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

have you  ridden the R46's on the (N)(Q) lately?  they run like garbage. CBTC is active on queens blvd and the (M) has a dedicated fleet of R160's due to cbtc.

spare factor is important, this is why they took so long to restore (C)(F) service. They don't trust the R179's when it comes to Reliable service and to avoid having to use some R32's due to cost and covid.

Funny thing is everyone had this same attitude when the r179's were pulled and thought the R32's weren't gonna run. And i told people the (J) needed cars because the (L) was returning to full service. and when they opened up the city partially, the (L) was packed to the brim at 7am in the morning.

The rumored plan is to possibly go with a fleet swap. Transferring the 10 sets of R179’s from East New York to 207th in exchange for 150 cars of R32’s to East New York.

2 hours ago, VIP said:

The rumored plan is to possibly go with a fleet swap. Transferring the 10 sets of R179’s from East New York to 207th in exchange for 150 cars of R32’s to East New York.

if this is true, then those R46's on the (C) are going straight to Coney. I would have figured that they would only use about 80 to 110 R32's but they probably need the high spare factor.

also keep in mind that most of the (J)(Z) uses R179's. the R179's make up 60% of the (J)(Z) fleet.

what i think is they'll just use a few sets, not a large amount. enough to run only rush hours.

Edited by R32 3838

So there was a fight on a (4) train earlier...

I got delayed at Burnside over something that happened at 14th Street..... the incident train and my train were both heading UPtown.

No, I didn't make a typo.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:56 AM, RapidoNewLook said:

Easy: The (A) and (R) is reduced to 12 minute headways midday 1x /costneutral

https://www.facebook.com/tracksunlimitedllc.nj/posts/2931664497070643

Tracks Unlimited LLC

Take a look at our progress shots of SIRT's new Clifton Shop! We installed pitted and posted track, and performed overhead thermite welding for the new Gantry. 🤩🚇 #tracksunlimitedllc #tullc  #railroad #railroadcontractor #railroadconstruction #railfreight #railindustry #railinfrastructure #railwaysystems #railsafety #trackservices #ballast #prentice #nyconstruction #nyinfrastructure #mta #mtanyct #nydot #panynj #septa #njt #nyct #njdot #nynjrail #csx #njconstruction #njinfrastructure #bumpingposts #nycta

168405525_2931662550404171_6792615940683

168253094_2931662460404180_3852068159830

167791170_2931662463737513_2047384113403

167946217_2931662513737508_2190670273639

168394208_2931662533737506_8096454643673

On 3/30/2021 at 8:07 PM, R32 3838 said:

if this is true, then those R46's on the (C) are going straight to Coney. I would have figured that they would only use about 80 to 110 R32's but they probably need the high spare factor.

also keep in mind that most of the (J)(Z) uses R179's. the R179's make up 60% of the (J)(Z) fleet.

what i think is they'll just use a few sets, not a large amount. enough to run only rush hours.

Those R32s...just can’t stay retired, can they? What is this, like, the third time now they’ve been un-retired?

On 3/31/2021 at 3:39 PM, paulrivera said:

Easy: The (A) and (R) is reduced to 12 minute headways midday 1x /costneutral

So 24-minute headways at Lefferts and Far Rockaway middays? That’s worse than overnight service. And 12-minute midday headways at Bay Ridge/4th Ave local stops? Won’t be long before the complaints about the (R) train taking more than twice that long to show up (not to mention the calls for extending the (J) and/or (Z) to Bay Ridge) to start. 

If I remember correctly, the last (B) to leave Sheepshead Bay was around 10 PM at night, currently, 9 PM at that same station to 145 St. The (W) and (5) shortening Manhattan hours, was it due to low ridership late on those lines or to make room for evening G/O's in preparation for the night? 

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

If I remember correctly, the last (B) to leave Sheepshead Bay was around 10 PM at night, currently, 9 PM at that same station to 145 St. The (W) and (5) shortening Manhattan hours, was it due to low ridership late on those lines or to make room for evening G/O's in preparation for the night? 

The (B)(M) (W) (3) and (5) having shortened weeknight hours, early 4th Avenue local service for the (D) and (N), and the reduced weeknight service on the (D) (N) and (R) are all to make room for work trains to meander their way thru the system.

The default weekend headway for the B division being cut to 12 minutes (everything except the (A)(L) and (Q) basically, maybe one or two others) was also done to reduce track capacity to facilitate work. Yea, (E) and (F) train service on the weekend were cut by 25%; but no, ridership did not take a 25% tumble when these cuts were made.

Edited by paulrivera
typo

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Why was the Franklin Shuttle only rebuilt with two car platforms, along with the unnecessary revision of rebuilding Park Place and Franklin Av with only one platform?

Ridership on the Franklin Av Shuttle is low compared to the rest of the system. And I believe one of the two platforms at the old Franklin Av stop were already disused, before it was renovated. The MTA did consider sacking the line entirely since it was considered decrepit, and incredibly costly to renovate. Many problems persisted too, it had huge amounts of fare-beating at the time which was part of why Dean Street closed.

The MTA’s main goal with fixing the line was to cut the waste (including removing unused platforms or extra track) that were not needed, and to remove that awful paper transfer that allowed farebeating between Franklin Av and the Fulton line. I can only guess that all else was noise to the agency.

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Ridership on the Franklin Av Shuttle is low compared to the rest of the system. And I believe one of the two platforms at the old Franklin Av stop were already disused, before it was renovated. The MTA did consider sacking the line entirely since it was considered decrepit, and incredibly costly to renovate. Many problems persisted too, it had huge amounts of fare-beating at the time which was part of why Dean Street closed.

The MTA’s main goal with fixing the line was to cut the waste (including removing unused platforms or extra track) that were not needed, and to remove that awful paper transfer that allowed farebeating between Franklin Av and the Fulton line. I can only guess that all else was noise to the agency.

It was low before yes, but it has grown considerably that a platform / car extension shouldn't be to hard to do. 

Perhaps returning the franklin shuttle to 10 cars and booting the (B) off Brighton and having the (Q) be the sole express could fix the loading and interlining problems that line has. Sure, Brighton Local riders lose direct access to Manhattan but at least the loads will balance themselves out on the (Q) .

Or, they could tie in Franklin Shuttle to Crosstown, have the (Q) run from Coney Island to 21st St, then connecting it with the (F) at 63rd St to Whitehall St.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

It was low before yes, but it has grown considerably that a platform / car extension shouldn't be to hard to do. 

Perhaps returning the franklin shuttle to 10 cars and booting the (B) off Brighton and having the (Q) be the sole express could fix the loading and interlining problems that line has. Sure, Brighton Local riders lose direct access to Manhattan but at least the loads will balance themselves out on the (Q) .

Or, they could tie in Franklin Shuttle to Crosstown, have the (Q) run from Coney Island to 21st St, then connecting it with the (F) at 63rd St to Whitehall St.

Assuming pre-Covid here...

Both (B) and (Q) trains are very crowded during morning rush hour leaving Church Av, to the point that riders at 7th Avenue may sometimes have to wait for the next train. A lot of people get off at Atlantic Avenue to transfer to other trains. The idea is interesting in that riders would still be able to transfer at Botanical Garden for the IRT, but you are definitely underestimating how many people taking the (B) and (Q) actually want their respective lines... They both have many riders going into Canal and Grand Streets. There really isn't any reasonable way of extending the Franklin Shuttle south, unless you send it all the way to Brighton Beach or Coney Island. I suggested a few years ago to extend one of the Botanical Garden platforms to 10 cars, so the (Q) could run there during G/Os for the IRT transfer, but in its current state the Franklin Shuttle doesn't really need upgrades beyond that. Connecting it to the (G) would be great, but is pretty much a pipe dream at this point.

On 3/30/2021 at 2:58 PM, R32 3838 said:

Riding it this weekend, it seems most of the (N) are NTTs once again. I’ve seen a few R46s, but I’ve boarded trains at random times and it’s been a consecutive string of NTTs.

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Even before renovations, I don’t think the Franklin (S) ever ran 10-car trains. Four is the most cars I’ve ever seen in the NYCTA/MTA era. And that’s 60-foot cars, which is less than twice the length of the current two-car R68 trains. Though the renovated shuttle platforms probably can’t berth even a 240-foot train, like the originals could. 

I’m fine with tying the (S) into the (G) and going as far as Long Island City. Of course that would require lengthening the shuttle platforms, because if you think four-car (G) trains aren’t cutting it on the Crosstown, imagine how bad it would be with (S) trains that are only two cars long.

I definitely don’t think the (Q) should be rerouted onto the Franklin (S) and (G) routes, then via 63rd St. That’s way too much merging and it will cause way too many delays on top of the merging delays we already have. And what would replace the (Q) on 2nd Ave? 

I also don’t think the Franklin (S) should replace the (Q) as the Brighton Local, with the (Q) displacing the (B) as the express. If you think people ditching the (R) in favor of the (D) or (N) at 36th or 59th is bad, this will be way worse. At least the (R) goes to Manhattan like the other trains. And with full-length trains. The Franklin (S) doesn’t. 

15 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Right, I remember the Times doing a piece about how Dean Street was the least-used and most decrepit station on an already decrepit, low-use line. It closed before the rest of the line did. And not too soon. I seem to recall reading elsewhere in the forums that the money used to renovate the Franklin Shuttle was originally intended to renovate the Steinway Tunnels and Corona Barn in preparation for the New Tech trains on the (7), which may explain why the (6) became 100% R142As in 2002, while its R62As and the (3)‘s were sent packing to Queens back then. 

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

Riding it this weekend, it seems most of the (N) are NTTs once again. I’ve seen a few R46s, but I’ve boarded trains at random times and it’s been a consecutive string of NTTs.

I think I’ve only gotten R160s once on the (N) in the last few weeks. But then, I almost always seem to get the older trains on a train lines that run both old and new trains. Just like when I lived in Boston and took the Red Line, I always seemed to get the old-tech 1500s, 1600s and 1700s series trains vs the “new tech” 1800s series trains.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

I headed to Midtown on the (Q) on Wednesday and nearly all of the trains I saw on the (N) and even (W) on Broadway (I saw ~12 total trains) were R160 (and of course, none on the (Q))... I still don't understand what happened to sharing R160s with the (Q) like there was before circa December 2020 (with the (N)(Q)(W) sharing a pool) because living along the Brighton line, I see none at all (except for maybe one during the AM rush, but even that technically didn't come from a real (Q) due to rush-hour put-ins, if that makes sense), just almost entirely R46s with a few R68/As sprinkled in.