SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Another pertinent question is: Will they let the crews know of said codes in the trains? Seeing how botched the announcements of reroutes in the past have been executed, the chances of that seem slim. 

The C to Bedford is already in there and not a new program, so crews will be able to find it easily.

2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

With the (C) heading to the Bronx next weekend, is there a 46 or 179 code for that?

There is an R46 code to Norwood-205 St or Bronx, Bedford Park Blvd on the R46 for the (C) . Being used is unknown at this time. 

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

West 4th got new pillar signs for the second time in 3-4 years. Now it's "West 4 Street" instead of just W4. At least on the upper level, not sure if they have touched the 1990s lower level ones yet. 

What a joke. Meanwhile, the station is literally falling apart. Tiles falling off of the walls. Entire station needs to be gutted and re-done.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What a joke. Meanwhile, the station is literally falling apart. Tiles falling off of the walls. Entire station needs to be gutted and re-done.

The decor fits with all the hobos and junkies I see in there. I used to use that station more often but now I avoid it when possible, yeesh

1 hour ago, MHV9218 said:

Everybody's such a drama queen lol. West 4 is fine. Commuted/transferred there for years. The lower level gets a little skeevy but it's not even in my top 10 of crummy stations.

56 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, if you like skells hanging around. That station hasn't been touched going back to my teenage years. Still the dirty, grimy station it's always been.

New Yorkers have an unusually high level of bullshit tolerance that they don't bat an eye at.

"Yes the studio I subdivide with roommates is $3000/mo and it's on the 6th floor of a tenement walkup with no laundry and a kitchen smaller than an airplane bathroom, it works for me"

Edited by bobtehpanda

3 hours ago, P3F said:

If you need the B/D/F/M, Broadway-Lafayette Street is a nicer station to be in. Still gets hot as hell during the summer, though maybe not to the level of West 4th.

I hate that station. No cell service down there, and I've had terrible luck trying to get the F train there. Had to run out of the station and grab an Uber, otherwise, I would've been late to a meeting. Ridiculous.

47 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I care more about frequent service than stations that look nice. However, if you are renovating West 4th, you might as well reopen closed entrances there while you are at it.

There's a very wide gap between "look nice" and "total f**king dump overrun by rats with sewage down the tracks."

At least some of that is water damage, so actually fixing the station might actually also improve service.

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

There's a very wide gap between "look nice" and "total f**king dump overrun by rats with sewage down the tracks."

At least some of that is water damage, so actually fixing the station might actually also improve service.

I remember a Londoner complaining about how decrepit Tube stations look. I showed him pics of 34th St on 6th Av. He got quiet.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, if you like skells hanging around. That station hasn't been touched going back to my teenage years. Still the dirty, grimy station it's always been.

I've ridden a lot of transit, and I feel that station maintenance and décor reflect the city/metro area the station is in.

NYC looks dirty and poorly maintained - like everything except Battery Park City looks as mildewy and built half-assed as the subway, and even going back to when Giuliani "cleaned it up", all the infrastructure looks like those houses that always patch roofs and add shingles instead of actually replacing it.

It's like we used to say in my car club - if you keep your engine bay clean, mechanics and service techs will keep it clean too. Since NYC JDGAF, (MTA) doesn't either.

Why else does the subway look like it does, but the railroads' stations look semi- immaculate?

12 hours ago, Deucey said:

I remember a Londoner complaining about how decrepit Tube stations look. I showed him pics of 34th St on 6th Av. He got quiet.

I've ridden a lot of transit, and I feel that station maintenance and décor reflect the city/metro area the station is in.

NYC looks dirty and poorly maintained - like everything except Battery Park City looks as mildewy and built half-assed as the subway, and even going back to when Giuliani "cleaned it up", all the infrastructure looks like those houses that always patch roofs and add shingles instead of actually replacing it.

It's like we used to say in my car club - if you keep your engine bay clean, mechanics and service techs will keep it clean too. Since NYC JDGAF, (MTA) doesn't either.

Why else does the subway look like it does, but the railroads' stations look semi- immaculate?

I'll tell you why... Because the riders accept such conditions. It's "the City", so filthiness is supposedly ok. It's one of the reasons I started my group. We've become very complacent with unreliable service, filthy trains and buses and so on. Like you, I've traveled extensively, primarily in other countries. You travel about 7 hours up to Montréal and see how clean everything is. Outside of the Downtown area with some trash here and there, the residential areas are so immaculate you can eat off of the ground. Sure, transit is an issue in other places, but there is more investment in them running punctually and being clean. I lived in Florence, which had no subway system then. You get around the City by bus if you use public transit, and it's a very well run system. The inter-city trains generally run well as well (at least in Northern Italy anyway (Southern Italy or the "mezzogiorno" is another story lol)). Hell I can go from Florence to Bologna faster than I can going from parts of the outer boroughs to Manhattan. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

8 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'll tell you why... Because the riders accept such conditions. It's "the City", so filthiness is supposedly ok. It's one of the reasons I started my group. We've become very complacent with unreliable service, filthy trains and buses and so on. Like you, I've traveled extensively, primarily in other countries. You travel about 7 hours up to Montréal and see how clean everything is. Outside of the Downtown area with some trash here and there, the residential areas are so immaculate you can eat off of the ground. Sure, transit is an issue in other places, but there is more investment in them running punctually and being clean. I lived in Florence, which had no subway system then. You get around the City by bus if you use public transit, and it's a very well run system. The inter-city trains generally run well as well (at least in Northern Italy anyway (Southern Italy or the "mezzogiorno" is another story lol)). Hell I can go from Florence to Bologna faster than I can going from parts of the outer boroughs to Manhattan. lol

You know that the solution to all of this is massive public investment in infrastructure, right? The reason the Italians have such a good train network is because they put a great deal of resources into the network, and to this day the private service (Italo) is no better, sometimes worse than the state-run Frecciarossa. That kind of thing is entirely possible in America, so long as we actually try for it. I assume you support Biden's infrastructure bill? That's how we get reliable high-speed intra-state and cross-country rail.