SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I'm hearing the (G) is going all R160 meaning the (N)(W) will be 100% 75 footers. I heard its CBTC related since Bergen st to Ave X would have it's CBTC active if the rumors are true.

If this is the case, they just need to send the (G) back to Jamaica so this way all the 5 car R160's are in 1 yard. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

From what I'm hearing the (G) is going all R160 meaning the (N)(W) will be 100% 75 footers. I heard its CBTC related since Bergen st to Ave X would have it's CBTC active if the rumors are true.

If this is the case, they just need to send the (G) back to Jamaica so this way all the 5 car R160's are in 1 yard. 

Edit, By the End of the month the (G) will be all R160. Just read a bulletin stating that thats being shared around the internet. 

3 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

dont trigger the foamers who say send the G back on queens blvd etc lol 
if the ptb(powers that be) follow your idea i guess they would run on/off onto queens blvd from court square

15 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

dont trigger the foamers who say send the G back on queens blvd etc lol 
if the ptb(powers that be) follow your idea i guess they would run on/off onto queens blvd from court square

From what I'm hearing the (G) will be going back to Jamaica thus making CI non NTT for the first time since 2005. I'm loving this all the hippes get stuck with the old shit. This is what (A)  (C) riders had to deal with for years. Jamaica will have the entire 5 car R160 fleet under one roof.

3 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

From what I'm hearing the (G) will be going back to Jamaica thus making CI non NTT for the first time since 2005. I'm loving this all the hippes get stuck with the old shit. This is what (A)  (C) riders had to deal with for years. Jamaica will have the entire 5 car R160 fleet under one roof.

Wow so the (E)(F)(G)(R) all back at the same yard once again like old times. 

Too bad they never expanded Jamaica Yard, because they have over 1000 trains assigned to its yard but at least the (F) and (R) can also utilize Coney Island Yard for lay ups and storage. 

26 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

All we gotta do next is send the 38s and 42s to the Eastern Division and they’ll be happy!

nah in all seriousness though, this is an interesting move, it’ll be even more interesting if they decide to send the (G) to Forest Hills (or 179).

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Edited by VIP

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

All we gotta do next is send the 38s and 42s to the Eastern Division and they’ll be happy!

nah in all seriousness though, this is an interesting move, it’ll be even more interesting if they decide to send the (G) to Forest Hills (or 179).

I wouldn’t be surprised if put-in & drop-out (G) trains operate revenue to/from 71st Avenue via local, just like how they do with the (W) to/from 86th Street. It would be cool to see weekend extensions to 71st Avenue return though, as the (R) definitely needs that extra help. 

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Guess I’m no longer in need of a metrocard😒. Can’t believe the (N) / (W) is losing the remainder of their R160s. Now will start commuting by bike or car.

Backstory of Jamaica's last and final trade request for coney island. AND THE FINAL ONE. 

unknown.png?width=265&height=386

Man and we actually thought the (G) was gonna have R179s and that prediction got carried away by Jamaica plotting another thing in hand that we'll never know for sure... ggs.

1 hour ago, Jacob said:

Backstory of Jamaica's last and final trade request for coney island. AND THE FINAL ONE. 

unknown.png?width=265&height=386

Man and we actually thought the (G) was gonna have R179s and that prediction got carried away by Jamaica plotting another thing in hand that we'll never know for sure... ggs.

Well things can change very easily. For all we know, that could very well happen still once the order options of the R211's come in. Jamaica could get R211's with the R160's going back to Coney Island with the R179's from the (C)'s going to the (G). So I wouldn't exactly say this is the final part per say, more of just another episode of Fleet Swap. Anything could literally happen, I could very well be wrong and the order options go straight for Coney Island instead and the R179's go to ENY. 

The way that the (G) is going to use R160s in 5-car sets. I hope C.I doesn't take another R68 off the (D) train. They can't keep taking trains from Concourse otherwise, the Delta will have very few spare trains. Anyways, looking at the future R160 assignment, all 5-car R160s will be entirely CBTC: 8653-9942 except one R160 is still kept for the (Q) during the AM rush, roofed over 1 yard, Jamaica. That also takes to Coney Island being entirely 75 footers for the (B)(N)(W)(Q) and Franklin Shuttle, and East New York being entirely tech trains 4-car sets. Finally, Pitkin and 207 St being 1/2 SMEE R46 trains and New tech R179s. 

I remember back in 2006, when the (N) still had R40 slants, I was amazed to see R160B 8713-8722 debut in passenger service and here we are in 2021. 15 years later, they have a fleet change due to CBTC. Even the (Q) made it in the news both R160s and R46s when Second Av Subway opened to the public and 3 years later. 

The whole (N)(Q)(W) being 75 footers next month is sort of the similar scenario to when the (A)(C) had nothing but old trains (R32s, R46s), except, it changed with the R179s. Also, part of Broadway has an R160 as counterpart, the (R). All I can say for this: Second Av will have to get use to the R46s and for Astoria-Ditmars, wish them the best of luck during the rush hour  (N)(W) .  The (A)(C) , (J)(Z) had their share being or almost entirely SMEEs, now it's the (N)(Q)(W)  

Edited by Calvin

10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Guess I’m no longer in need of a metrocard😒. Can’t believe the (N) / (W) is losing the remainder of their R160s. Now will start commuting by bike or car.

Dude it's not that serious. It's just a train. Get used to it.

21 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

You were whining and bitching like a toddler all this time about R46s being lousy at CI for obvious reasons. Now that this (G) new assignment thing has occurred, you’re all ups and arms whenever someone like him protest against this? Only foamers who love this are by those who want to continue getting their precious photos and videos of the old junks on the (N)(Q)(W) till they retire. Just because the (A)(C) dealt with old cars for years, doesn’t mean other lines have to. Stuff like this just simply make me wish all the old junks gone.

And CBTC just has trains closer together than the current signals do.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It is that serious, and that is my final say on this subject. That R211 order cannot get here fast enough to undo this clusterf*** the MTA has created. Making the (N) / (W) all R46s 🙄🙄🙄

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

It is that serious, and that is my final say on this subject. That R211 order cannot get here fast enough to undo this clusterf*** the MTA has created. Making the (N) / (W) all R46s 🙄🙄🙄

Yeah. Don’t forget about/ignore the (Q) though. All of this has to do with CBTC. From what I heard, CBTC is cheaper than a regular brand new wayside signaling system, but who knows if that’s indeed true. 🤷‍♂️ I wonder if there’s another type of signaling system that could have been used instead of CBTC or wayside. But I guess there’s none, so CBTC is left.

Anyway, let them continue making love to their precious crappy old cars on the (N)(Q)(W) for nostalgia purposes. That’s literally the one and ONLY reason why they love the R46s now compared to before, which makes them total hypocrites. That’s why I lost a lot of respect for the railbuff community. But remember, they’ll be the same ones crying and complaining when their favorite old junk cars retire. I cannot wait to see the looks on their faces. 🤣🤣🤣

At least the R211s will reduce the current car shortage since the R32s and R42s understandably cannot come back, but the (N)(Q)(W) will likely be all R68s and R68As (and possibly some leftover R46s alongside them) while everything else in the B Division gets NTTs until the R68s and R68As retire for good (after the R46s).

People like you and me who prefer consistency (like the A Division aside from that stupid (6)(7) car swap and the current mix-mash automated announcements nonsense on the (4)(5)(7)) over a Wallyhorse of a fleet will rest assured as the (N)(Q)(W) will eventually go back to more modern cars in the foreseeable future.