SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Meanwhile there are people (usually high school aged kids) all over TikTok posting videos of themselves riding on the back of the train and breaking into the cabs and playing with the controls while the train in is motion. Yet I haven’t seen anything about NYPD doing a crackdown on this.

NYPD doesn't care about minor stuff like this, they have bigger fish to fry. Also teenagers breaking into cabs have been happening since forever. 

49 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The (L) has the next ad-wrapped train coming soon. It features a Paramount movie production to the display.

Since Paramount owns the rights to Star Trek I hope it's an Star Trek themed wrap. That would be great, especially considering the NTT are like an Starfleet ship on rails, those consoles in the cab are similar to the consoles on the Enterprise lol.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

Random thought: if 4th Avenue south of 59th street is 4 tracks, then why can't the MTA convert them back to 4 tracks to have R trains lay up there since 4th Avenue R train service is so horrible? And also open the wall after 95th Street to have trains layup past 95th Street for less delays?

That's been used for ConEd electrical now. Good luck getting that space back.

About 30 minutes from West Williamsburg (almost Greenpoint) to Chinatown by Citibike. The subway would actually be competitive with a bicycle if the Second System provided for a built-out station at South 4 Street and a Worth Street line connecting to it.

Happened at 6:32 PM at Sheepshead Bay station, (B) and (Q) 's were held in inconvenience. The (Q) was held due to a group of 4 teenagers with horseplay, 2 riding in the back of the train. However, the conductor saw the two jump on the back of the train when pointing to the zebra board. Then, the (B) was held all because of two teens that skipped/hopped the turnstile and police stopped the (B) to get them off the train. Total of six were given summons as then the (B) and (Q) resumed service. Held for about 10 minutes. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Happened at 6:32 PM at Sheepshead Bay station, (B) and (Q) 's were held in inconvenience. The (Q) was held due to a group of 4 teenagers with horseplay, 2 riding in the back of the train. However, the conductor saw the two jump on the back of the train when pointing to the zebra board. Then, the (B) was held all because of two teens that skipped/hopped the turnstile and police stopped the (B) to get them off the train. Total of six were given summons as then the (B) and (Q) resumed service. Held for about 10 minutes. 

As funny as that sounds, sorry to hear about your experience.

12 hours ago, Vulturious said:
14 hours ago, Calvin said:

As funny as that sounds, sorry to hear about your experience.

Sounds like it would have been a great experience to me seeing that there were consequences.

On 3/20/2022 at 4:29 PM, R10 2952 said:

@Mtatransit If you had emphasized the issue with the smoke more, perhaps they would have let you off.  Anyway it's the second half of the month, quota time for them, so they're out prowling for opportunities to ticket people over trivial BS instead of you know, ticketing the jerk who was smoking.

The thing they bank on is that nobody is going to demand a court hearing, or that the officer be present to testify against you.  The actual courts (not TAB) tend to be more flexible; there used to be a procedure (don't know if that's still the case now) that if the officer failed to appear for the hearing, the ticket would get dismissed.

Transit Adjudication Bureau, on the other hand, is not an actual court.  They're an MTA revenue collection entity operating under the guise of being an impartial administrative law unit.  Only person I know of who was able to get the TAB to back off was a friend of a friend, years ago, who showed up to their office in Downtown Brooklyn with a lawyer.  Good for him, but obviously most people don't have the time or money to get an actual attorney to represent them for a civil summons.       

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150429/kensington/straphanger-fights-ticket-for-fleeing-urine-filled-subway-car/

It doesn't look like TAB has a good record of dismissing cases or even reducing the charges based on the circumstances. I believe I read somewhere that they had a 83% upheld rate. I believe that is worse than the city's record. I believe for TAB you are also allowed to request the issuing officer to be present at the next hearing for cross examination

Still going to waste half my day going to a hearing though, they will eventually take my $75, but they will have to earn that

On 3/20/2022 at 4:24 PM, Lawrence St said:

And since when is it illegal to cross between cars?

Wasn’t it always?

On 3/20/2022 at 4:24 PM, Lawrence St said:

If that was the case they should start locking the end doors that can only be unlocked from the conductors cab.

They do that on R46 and R68 trains. Stops changing cars, but like that one time I was stuck on the (A) at 207th during a track fire, or those folks on that R46 (F) when it lost power, what do you do when the crew’s button releasing the locks don’t work and folks need air or to escape?

51 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

there's a siemens R160 on the (G) 9038-42.

yeah, and now some of the Cuomo R160Bs are also on the (G) (9133-9137), with 9873-9882 (combined with two other 5-car sets from mainline Jamaica yard to make 10-car trains running on the (R)).

Edited by darkstar8983

9853-9857 was on the (Q) for a peak trip, then returned back as the (R) for the afternoon. The 90 units for the (G) are slowly being a common sight rotated with the (E)(F)(R) 

Also, speaking of the (Q) , the rotation of the R68/As on that line happened to jump back to at least 4 trains out of 21. The others are the usual R46s. Coney Island seems to place a few on the (W) (at least 2-3) and (Q) , while the (N) just flows through with the mix of R46s and 68/As. 

Edited by Calvin

7 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150429/kensington/straphanger-fights-ticket-for-fleeing-urine-filled-subway-car/

It doesn't look like TAB has a good record of dismissing cases or even reducing the charges based on the circumstances. I believe I read somewhere that they had a 83% upheld rate. I believe that is worse than the city's record. I believe for TAB you are also allowed to request the issuing officer to be present at the next hearing for cross examination

Still going to waste half my day going to a hearing though, they will eventually take my $75, but they will have to earn that

Yup, the TAB exists to collect revenue, not to find the actual facts or reach genuine (not fabricated) conclusions of law.  They're a proverbial rubber stamp.

Only person I know of who was able to beat the TAB was the guy who had the time and money to get a lawyer, and I was surprised he managed to find a lawyer willing to waste his own time going down to Gallatin Place.

That said, my sympathy for the guy in the article ended the moment I read he was a gun nut and a collector of Nazi memorabilia.

What's really frustrating about all of this, though, is that before 2005, passing between cars was permitted.  That year, the Board voted to change the rules, and from what I recollect it was motivated largely by liability concerns.  There had been a few incidents around 2000 when drunk and/or disorderly individuals fell between cars and were injured or killed, and then the families went to court.  MTA usually loses these kinds of lawsuits or is afraid to lose them, so the agency would settle these cases until one day they decided it was just more cost-effective to ban passing between cars altogether.

The problem is the cops don't treat an urgent reason to use the end doors as a legitimate emergency, unless you have a figurative gun to your head (and at that point it's usually too late to do anything).  They don't care, they just want to get their quotas in and don't expect anyone to stand up to their bullying. They don't expect civilians to go through the administrative or legal process equipped with an attorney.

I can recall several situations over the years where I had to use the end doors to extricate myself from trouble.  A fight brewing that turned into a brawl.  A woman's pepper spray that fell out of her bag, hit the floor, released and caused everybody to start coughing.  A dude who had something under his coat and was mos def prowling for victims.  The list goes on.

Since they instituted the passing-between-cars ban, there's been a number of passenger complaints about it on these kind of grounds. For now though, MTA just gonna MTA.

Edited by R10 2952

There is always homeless man by the emergency gate at Canal Street (Centre Street entrance). He holds the door open while shaking his cup for money. Occasionally, some homeless white guy is also there asking for 50 cents (next to the MetroCard vending machines). Would be hilarious if some cops set up shop at the junction where the two flights of stairs meet. Let the homeless guy hold the emergency gate open and arrest the stream of farebeaters coming in.

Today for the first time I sort of got inconvenienced by CBTC. I got to Broadway Junction in the middle of rush hour and I noticed the next (L) train was 9 minutes away, far longer wait than normal. When the train got to Rockaway Parkway I overheard the T/O tell the RCI that the train went BIE multiple times in ATO. RCI was working on the train while it went back to 8th Ave in service.

Edited by trainfan22

On 3/25/2022 at 8:05 PM, trainfan22 said:

Today for the first time I sort of got inconvenienced by CBTC. I got to Broadway Junction in the middle of rush hour and I noticed the next (L) train was 9 minutes away, far longer wait than normal. When the train got to Rockaway Parkway I overheard the T/O tell the RCI that the train went BIE multiple times in ATO. RCI was working on the train while it went back to 8th Ave in service.

Could've potentially been a physical/mechanical issue with the train unrelated to the CBTC components, right?

11 minutes ago, Calvin said:

277521182_10161523026539348_580876058882

Here is the recent past report of the MTA NYC Subway car performance. R179 percent change went up and the R68A. 

Hmm.... Think is safe to say the R179s are beginning to thrust into reliability. It's been over a year and a half since they were last pulled from service.

21 minutes ago, Calvin said:

277521182_10161523026539348_580876058882

Here is the recent past report of the MTA NYC Subway car performance. R179 percent change went up and the R68A. 

Bombardier R142s outperforming the Kawasaki R188s, I always thought that Bombardier had the superior product when comparing the bomb R142s to the R142A/188. Bombardier gets a lot of unfair hate by railfans as all three car classes they've built for NYCT turned out to be pretty good. Not to mention the M7 for the commuter rails.