SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Around 5PM the garbage train was doing pick ups on the Culver line! Since when does that train run during rush hour?

Btw the consist was 2 R32s and one R127/134 car.

Also the (F) 's that were terminating at Kings Highway were running express on the Culver EL track Queens Bound.

Something happened north of Kings Highway where T/O's had blow the horn and go slow though the area, I wonder what happened?

Around 5PM the garbage train was doing pick ups on the Culver line! Since when does that train run during rush hour?

Btw the consist was 2 R32s and one R127/134 car.

Also the (F) 's that were terminating at Kings Highway were running express on the Culver EL track Queens Bound.

Something happened north of Kings Highway where T/O's had blow the horn and go slow though the area, I wonder what happened?

Signal problems at Kings Hwy.

So this morning after taking my girl to BMCC for the start of her spring semester, I had a "eh, f*ck" moment and actually went to ride around the SF loop.

For starters, once we got to the split to the loop and "new" station, that whole track area leading to the new station was dark (guess they turned the power off or something). Once we got near the loop, I had another "eh, f*ck it" moment and recorded the station.

With tiles all on the floor, a thick layer of dust covering the floor, and what looks like a doorway someone knocked into the wall at the front of the platform, that station is in no way, shape or form usable without some form of major TLC.

Got back out at Rector and walked to Whitehall (timed myself and it took exactly 7 minutes, 32 seconds), then walked back to Bowling Green for the (4) home.

I think Cap'n transits proposal has merit, but agree the R is already too long.

I think if the station on the branch off at Rego were built first as a stub terminal with provision for expansion later, it would at least ameliorate some of the capacity problems Forest Hills has a terminal, and turning either the (M)(R) or (G) there would facilitate extra local service on the line, as well as an extension of the venerable crosstown line back into Queens.

While I do think that portion of Queens could use a crosstown line, I think the G would be sufficient and leave the M and R lines alone. the R is bad as is now and shouldn't be extended further. I don't think there's enough 8 car trains to support an extended M line unless you keep some extra R32s when all the R179s are here. G makes the most sense of the 3 as you can run it as 300' or 600' trains and the line is short enough that the extra length won't affect it too much.

Finally caught the R62A on the <6> today. Also met some dude who boarded at Brooklyn Bridge and we spent part of the ride staring at the RFW and talking transit, wonder if he's a member here on the forums.

Also spoke to the T/O who told me that he hasn't operated an R62A since they were on the (5), must be a long time ago then.

For starters, once we got to the split to the loop and "new" station, that whole track area leading to the new station was dark (guess they turned the power off or something). 

Bet you it's more than just them shutting it down...I'd say 75% of the buildings in the South Ferry area still have no power due to damage and are using generators. My guess is that stretch it's the same story.

I'm pretty sure this has been answered somewhere, but it has caught my attention for some time now.

At the 23rd Street/8th Avenue Station, how come Uptown (A) trains have to go slow through the station while Downtown (A) trains just haul ass right on through the station? I've been frequenting the station as of late and I remember Uptown trains moving at a decent rate through the station.

So this morning after taking my girl to BMCC for the start of her spring semester, I had a "eh, f*ck" moment and actually went to ride around the SF loop.

For starters, once we got to the split to the loop and "new" station, that whole track area leading to the new station was dark (guess they turned the power off or something). Once we got near the loop, I had another "eh, f*ck it" moment and recorded the station.

With tiles all on the floor, a thick layer of dust covering the floor, and what looks like a doorway someone knocked into the wall at the front of the platform, that station is in no way, shape or form usable without some form of major TLC.

Got back out at Rector and walked to Whitehall (timed myself and it took exactly 7 minutes, 32 seconds), then walked back to Bowling Green for the (4) home.

Oh snap, I used to go to BMCC! And yes I did ride the (6) through City Hall, once. It was a experience for the 30 seconds of it before going N/B.

Ever got stranded on a train? This happened to me durring the 2006 blizzard!

What happened was that I was on the (N) n/b on Sea Beach and got stranded! What happenned was that there was a R40 Slant struggling to get to 8th Ave. The wheels literally started skidding on the rails while the train did not move an inch. Think of a car stuck in like 4 feet of snow and no matter how much you rev up the engine the wheels keep on spinning and spinning..... That was what exactly what was happening on this train. In fact the traction motors on most of the cars actually malfunctioned, you can actually smell the burned up traction motors which were toasted. On top of that the power to the traction motors keeps on cutting off along with the lights, ventilation system etc. This was happening for almost two hours.

Crazy. I was getting desperate, I was ready to jump off between the cars and start walking to the next train station. The train supervisor I believe from the radio (It was audible from the PA) decided to call for a work train locomotive that had the task of to pushing the train into 59th Street. Which never showed up. Somehow after some track workers who dug a path, they somehow got the train moving and finally made it to 59th street. After 2 hours.

That was some crazy storm. I'm sure that was exactly what happened when that A train got stranded in the Rockaways some years later.

While we're on the topic of locked storm doors... if something happens to the train in the tunnel, like BIE, how does the crew go to the scene to find out what's happened if the doors are locked? Do they have keys?

I would think that the crew would have their keys during the course of the trip.... in case.....

Yeah, there was a stabbing on the D some years back and people were basically trapped in the same car with the 'killer' (forgot if the victim died or not). Fortunately for the passengers, the guy didn't try to go after them, but that's one danger of being in a car with the doors locked.

Is this that story?

Yeah, there was a stabbing on the D some years back and people were basically trapped in the same car with the 'killer' (forgot if the victim died or not). Fortunately for the passengers, the guy didn't try to go after them, but that's one danger of being in a car with the doors locked.

Yeah I remember that story. I fail to understand the logic in why the crew decided to confine the killer in the midst of clearly terrified passengers fearing for their lives. To subdue him until law enforcement came they claim. But at the expense of the lives of other straphangers?