SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the Kew Gardens Union Tpke station a sign saying what the MTA is doing about modernizing the signal system between 71 Av and Union Tpke it said they would reconfigure the interlocking west of 75th so what would they be doing?

Also, in the 71 Av station on the pillars in between the express tracks there is a sign that looks like it was put there close to the opening of the station saying stay away from the platform edge.

According to Second Av Sagas the service change involving running the R Express in queens and the E skipping 75 and Briarwood Van Wyck and the F skipping those stations and Sutphin Blvd due to installation of temporary subway barriers in preparation for the Queens Boulevard interlocking project, replacing and modernizing signals at Union Turnpike, 71st Avenue and Roosevelt Avenue. Does anyone know in depth details.

The (N) should be made express again (but at all times) and have  the (R) as the only local since there isn' t demand for two locals on Broadway.

There most certainly is! All four of the local stops between 34th and Canal are busier than any of the stations served only by the R.

The Broadway express run only saves a minute or two - it's not worth making tens of thousands of riders wait twice as long for a train so that you can save a minute or two.

On weekends there is however on weekdays ridership at local stations Is pretty low.

Not true. Weekday ridership is greater than Saturday or Sunday ridership at all four local stations. At two of them, weekday ridership is even greater than total weekend (Saturday plus Sunday) ridership.

At the Kew Gardens Union Tpke station a sign saying what the MTA is doing about modernizing the signal system between 71 Av and Union Tpke it said they would reconfigure the interlocking west of 75th so what would they be doing?

The single crossover south (or west) of 75th is being converted to a diamond crossover. The modernization, in general, sets the stage for CBTC.

There most certainly is! All four of the local stops between 34th and Canal are busier than any of the stations served only by the R.

The Broadway express run only saves a minute or two - it's not worth making tens of thousands of riders wait twice as long for a train so that you can save a minute or two.

I've been to all 4 local stops. There aren't that many people that use those stations. Broadway only needs the (R) to serve as a local.

I've been to all 4 local stops. There aren't that many people that use those stations. Broadway only needs the (R) to serve as a local.

It depends on the time you were at the station. I've recently been to some of those stations recently about five times during July and they are busy.

Go to 14 st at Peak Hours in The reverse peak or peak direction, and take the train to 23rd, 28th, and 8th, You'll see how they get full. Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Kidding me?  Those four stations are packed every time I use the (R).

To further input, I take the (R) through that area at this times:

8:00 am through 10:00 am.

7:00 pm through 9:00 pm.

And occasionally I'll pass through those stops 11:00 pm through 1:00 am.

With all three time areas, I've seen a substantial amount of people.

If they were served only by the R, they'd be the four busiest stations served only by the R.

As I said, the express only saves a minute or two, and it's not worth making tens of thousands of riders wait twice as long for a train so that you can save a minute or two.

I agree that the Broadway Line needs two locals lines to serve the local stations.

Yep. Either the (N)(R) or (R)(W) at 49th, 28th, 23rd, 8th and Prince Streets. City Hall, Cortlandt, Rector and Whitehall are thus the only local stations on the Broadway Line that aren't terribly busy like the Fourth Avenue Line local stations.

Yep. Either the (N)(R) or (R)(W) at 49th, 28th, 23rd, 8th and Prince Streets. City Hall, Cortlandt, Rector and Whitehall are thus the only local stations on the Broadway Line that aren't terribly busy like the Fourth Avenue Line local stations.

They're only busy during rush-hours...and really only morning rush-hours at that as well. (Below Canal Street)

Edited by peacemak3r

Today an R46 (F) came into Roosevelt with the front sign set inbetween Yellow (S) and (W) . Had no time to pull out the camera.

I was lucky enough to get 5636 going home. Rode it from Roosevelt to 71, but there was trackwork at Grand Ave. 

Oh, and I got a peek at the elevator at 71 Ave. The shaft and bottom of the car is there. 

They seriously need an elevator at Woodhaven Blvd. I know there would be space issues, but that station is really busy and so many people need an elevator. (I know it's possible to take the Q53 to Roosevelt Avenue, but it's always crowded). 

There are CI R160s on the (R) ; I saw 9172-ish once lol.

There has been CI R160s on the (R) recently. Ive seen 87xx and 8817-8813 on the (R) as ive also seen 9922-9918/9222-9218 on the (Q) this past Saturday night. Im just waiting to see if a siemens set ends up on the (R) or a CI R160 ending up on the (E)/(F)

There has been CI R160s on the (R) recently. Ive seen 87xx and 8817-8813 on the (R) as ive also seen 9922-9918/9222-9218 on the (Q) this past Saturday night. Im just waiting to see if a siemens set ends up on the (R) or a CI R160 ending up on the (E)/(F)

I'v seen 91xx on the Manhattan/Queens portion of the (R)