SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Three months ago, Art Vandelay clearly explain why the (N) can't be increased per this post:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34507-second-avenue-subway-construction-discussion/?p=676394

So did AndrewJC many times. Southbound (N) trains are packed leaving Astoria and then empty off through Broadway while being relatively empty to the rest of the way through 4th Avenue and Sea Beach. Northbound (N) trains are packed when leaving 59th Street-4th Avenue or 36th Street-4th Avenue and empty out through Broadway. I was at first in favor of more service on that line so the (R) would not have to be backed up as much through the 60th Street tube and Broadway line. At first, I didn't clearly understand what they were trying to point out.

But I can finally now see their point about why the (W) should be brought back once the (Q) is rerouted up SAS - is that areas like Midtown Manhattan, Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn are one of New York city's central business district where many subway riders attend to during the rush hour times. And not every frequencies in both directions match, since the Bronx, Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens are the outer boroughs.

Presently, all three Broadway services from Brooklyn into Manhattan and Queens run at 6 minute headways during the AM Rush and reverse goes true for southbound in the PM Rush.

That said, we're just going to have to put up with the issues the (R) has now in the further future (including the more or less delays at Prince and 34th)...I still wish for the best in the future in the subway though...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I gotta say is when they got rid of the (W) they screwed up Broadway, the (W) helped out a lot and everything ran smoothly, there's more than enough equipment to bring it back as in going to Whitehall, all of the trains that were on the (W) went to the (N)/(Q) for added service

Two things; On R46 (R) trains it says via 60 St but on R160s it says via 59 st. Why is this? Also, the (Q) stops at 49 st when going to Astoria is this because of high ridership, instead they can switch to the local after 49 st or even after 57 st. I'm really happy because today I got the NYC track map book!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Also, the (Q) stops at 49 st when going to Astoria is this because of high ridership, instead they can switch to the local after 49 st or even after 57 st.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

From what I understand, this is so that customers at 49th Street can take either train to Astoria, instead of waiting for just the (N),

So apparently I heard the Lefferts Blvd bound (A) is going to be skipping 104 St and 111 St. Is it just a rumor or is it actually happening?

The (N) should be made express again (but at all times) and have  the (R) as the only local since there isn' t demand for two locals on Broadway.

I agree with this completely. (N) Express during rush hour just to help out the (Q)

I can't remember this but the point of the (5) going to Flatbush was to alleviate crowding conditions at Franklin Avenue (where Nostrand riders had to wait longer for the (2) if something up or down the road delayed it) and not delay the (4) at Bowling Green, right?

So apparently I heard the Lefferts Blvd bound (A) is going to be skipping 104 St and 111 St. Is it just a rumor or is it actually happening?

I agree with this completely. (N) Express during rush hour just to help out the (Q).

Yeah, the A is bypassing 104th and 111th Sts due to a G.O. It's only in place during midday hours for the rest of the week.

As for the N - Broadway Express, the R cannot handle the local stations on its own. Even more so with the northern R running to Whitehall St only. Sending the N express will overcrowd the R as well as the platforms at the express stations. All that for a negligible gain of maybe a couple of minutes saved is not worth it.

I agree with this completely. (N) Express during rush hour just to help out the (Q)

What would be better was what the scedules and patters were before the cut. Two B'Way locals and two B'Way expresses. Which means the (W) needs to be reactivated. That will relieve congestion on the (N) in Manhattan in the long run. Many people who live in SoHo or wishiong to get to South Ferry will benefit from the added (W) service to supplement the (R), while those who commute on the (N) will not have to deal with crush-loaded cars like it is currently. Basically pre-2010 BMT Broadway service. After the Montague St tube repairs are completed. 

We know this must happen after the SAS is open for business but can ppl really wait that long? 14th Street Union Square is horrifically crowded on the BMT because of a lack of a second local service.

Edited by realizm

What would be better was what the scedules and patters were before the cut. Two B'Way locals and two B'Way expresses. Which means the (W) needs to be reactivated. That will relieve congestion on the (N) in Manhattan in the long run. Many people who live in SoHo or wishiong to get to South Ferry will benefit from the added (W) service to supplement the (R), while those who commute on the (N) will not have to deal with crush-loaded cars like it is currently. Basically pre-2010 BMT Broadway service. After the Montague St tube repairs are completed. 

We know this must happen after the SAS is open for business but can ppl really wait that long? 14th Street Union Square is horrifically crowded on the BMT because of a lack of a second local service.

Yeah, southbound (N) and (Q) trains leave Astoria full but empty off through Broadway and its comfortable to the rest of the way through 4th Avenue/Sea Beach and Brighton (AM Rush Hour). The (W) would still cause delays at 34th (if it meets the (N) there, meaning the (R) gets backed up too....) but the logic in running those short turn trains saves money. Even if they did ran more southbound service through Sea Beach or Brighton, trains would still be empty without a doubt.

I mean we are talking about how logical the (MTA) is and how many subway riders get off at the CBD areas during the rush hour in this city.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I wish all 660 R160B Kawaski cars had the Siemens propulsion system instead of just half of them. It would be cool if the entire (N)(Q) fleet were those instead and prehaps any leftover for the (E) and (F). I love the Siemens motors.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I wish all 660 R160B Kawaski cars had the Siemens propulsion system instead of just half of them. It would be cool if the entire (N)(Q) fleet were those instead and prehaps any leftover for the (E) and (F). I love the Siemens motors.

They all have a shitload of flatspots. Hate the Siemens sets.

I wish all 660 R160B Kawaski cars had the Siemens propulsion system instead of just half of them. It would be cool if the entire (N)(Q) fleet were those instead and prehaps any leftover for the (E) and (F). I love the Siemens motors.

9802-9942 were supposed to have siemens, but they changed it since all of these cars went to Jamaica, rumor has it that these were gonna go to the (A) but it never happened