SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Unauthorized photography, filming: $25

It just says unauthorized not unauthorized areas.

I was on the platform. I did not go into forbidden areas. I was just taking a video of the train relaying.

I was not literally at the edge of the platform where I can be. I was maybe one car distance (60 feet) away.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The TAB rules for photography are very vague. So what I always suggested with the people I've worked with is to use judgement and foresight when filming. Obviously dont bring suspicion to yourself. As long as you are clearly on the platform taking photos and nothing more, (I'm sure taking RFW videos are also perfectly legal) trust me, the TA workers or the police are not going to be concerned. The key is that you are not trespassing.

As an additional, if I am taking a photo of a train dead on from the leading end if the train is at a stop, as a courtesy, I would let the T/O know that I am about to take a photo. Usually the T/O would motion to me saying 'No problem' then I take the photo, as I do want to show respect for their privacy. If they say no, I respect that and leave it alone. Same with B/Os.

Edited by realizm

The TAB rules for photography are very vague. So what I always suggested with the people I've worked with is to use judgement and foresight when filming. Obviously dont bring suspicion to yourself. As long as you are clearly on the platform taking photos and nothing more, (I'm sure taking RFW videos are also perfectly legal) trust me, the TA workers or the police are not going to be concerned. The key is that you are not trespassing.

As an additional, if I am taking a photo of a train dead on from the leading end if the train is at a stop, as a courtesy, I would let the T/O know that I am about to take a photo. Usually the T/O would motion to me saying 'No problem' then I take the photo, as I do want to show respect for their privacy. If they say no, I respect that and leave it alone. Same with B/Os.

OK thanks and like I said.

Since the clean up crew said I should take videos over there I didn't do it so I wouldn't get into a fight or something.

OK thanks and like I said.

Since the clean up crew said I should take videos over there I didn't do it so I wouldn't get into a fight or something.

Its happened during a TOMC trip in recent memory. A passenger called the police on railfanners. What happened was that the police officers reiterated the rules of conduct making it clear that those railfanners were not doing anything illegal. When that passenger went out of control, it turned out the POs arrested her for harassment and disorderly conduct instead, defending the rights of the railfanners as she started to threaten them for no reason. (Maybe that passenger had a warrant for her arrest? Unsure). Now thats a smart veteran cop.

Many police officers are astute when it comes to MTA rules and assess each situation carefully.

Edited by realizm

Sorry, my mistake. So I guess I should be more careful from now on whenever I experience any incidents in the subway and report it here in the forums. I should have ask why he/she stop at the 8 car marker though, since I don't even know myself. That's my fault. I didn't know weather it was a crew issue or something.

No need to be more careful. It's not illegal. 

What I mean is that even though it isn't ILLEGAL to take photos of a tunnel (as long as it's from a public place), this action is still on the "suspicious activities-see something, say something" list and if a TA employee sees you, they are supposed to report you to the control center or the police who will investigate to find out what your intentions are, since what you are photographing is still a restricted area. That cleaner absolutely should NOT have confronted you himself though!

Obviously riders who are all squeezed together at the front window on a museum trip are there because they're railfans, and won't raise suspicion. One guy taking photos into a tunnel is another story.

Edited by Snowblock

Why in the hell would a cop arrest rail-buff's for RECORDING A DAMN TRAIN?!

Jesus...people these days!

There's no lack of reasons--consider any of the zillion terrorist threats and activities in the past fifteen years. No, it's more a lack of judgment: cops should know better than to collar a teenager with a camera, but they often don't.

Its happened during a TOMC trip in recent memory. A passenger called the police on railfanners. What happened was that the police officers reiterated the rules of conduct making it clear that those railfanners were not doing anything illegal. When that passenger went out of control, it turned out the POs arrested her for harassment and disorderly conduct instead, defending the rights of the railfanners as she started to threaten them for no reason. (Maybe that passenger had a warrant for her arrest? Unsure). Now thats a smart veteran cop.

Many police officers are astute when it comes to MTA rules and assess each situation carefully.

You're talking about that incident from last year right?

I think they should add announcements for the (Q44) on the (2)(5)(6)(7)(E)(F)

(2)(5): "This is West Farms Sq, transfer is available to the Q44 bus to Queens" or "to Flushing and Jamaica Queens"

Similar announcement for the (6)

(7) This is Flushing Main Street "Transfer is available to the Q44 bus to Jamaica and the Bronx"

(E)(F): "This is Van Wyck Blvd (Or Sutphin) Transfer is Available to the Q44 bus to Flushing and the Bronx"

Edited by N6 Limited

R160 announcement on (N)(Q) for Astoria Blvd and it said, "This is Astoria Blvd. Transfer is available to M60 Select Bus Service to LaGuardia Airport."

When I was on the (6) the other day at 125 Street, the announcement went off and instead of saying the above, it just went "ding - *door chime*". That means the program couldn't find the sound file :P

How about we either have all or no bus announcements? My biggest pet peeve with the tech trains is them adding those SBS announcements all over the place. It ISN'T a real transfer if you can't take one of those buses cross town and then get onto a connecting subway line on one fare! NYCT needs to take a lesson from that Silver Lie scandal in Boston......and at least that has REAL transfers between two subway lines!

What I mean is that even though it isn't ILLEGAL to take photos of a tunnel (as long as it's from a public place), this action is still on the "suspicious activities-see something, say something" list and if a TA employee sees you, they are supposed to report you to the control center or the police who will investigate to find out what your intentions are, since what you are photographing is still a restricted area. That cleaner absolutely should NOT have confronted you himself though!

Obviously riders who are all squeezed together at the front window on a museum trip are there because they're railfans, and won't raise suspicion. One guy taking photos into a tunnel is another story.

I understand fully why it would raise suspicions and I realize I should be more carefull IF I were to do it again.

If they are saying it illegal to photograph what going on in the tunnel

It was just made clear that it is not illegal:

It must be SBS announcement crazy on (2) since it has

This is Gun Hill Rd. Transfer is available to Bx41 Select Bus Service.

This is Pelham Parkway. Transfer is available to Bx12 Select Bus Service.

This is 3rd Av-149th St. Transfer is available to Bx41 Select Bus Service.

This is 125th St. Transfer is available to M60 Select Bus Service.to LaGuardia Airport.

This is 34th St-Penn Station. Transfer is available to M34 Select Bus Service. Connection is available to LIRR, NJT, Amtrak.

This is Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av. Transfer is available to B44 Select Bus Service.

It must be SBS announcement crazy on (2) since it has

This is Gun Hill Rd. Transfer is available to Bx41 Select Bus Service.

This is Pelham Parkway. Transfer is available to Bx12 Select Bus Service.

This is 3rd Av-149th St. Transfer is available to Bx41 Select Bus Service.

This is 125th St. Transfer is available to M60 Select Bus Service.to LaGuardia Airport.

This is 34th St-Penn Station. Transfer is available to M34 Select Bus Service. Connection is available to LIRR, NJT, Amtrak.

This is Brooklyn College-Flatbush Av. Transfer is available to B44 Select Bus Service.

Holy shyt, I never even realized that.

Well at least they don't have the B44 announcement at every single stop on the Nostrand Branch.....

Yep so because of emergency trackwork on the CPW Express Tracks, the (D) Trains are running  on the local track. Interesting part is southbound trains are running EXPRESS on the local track while the northbound trains are actually running local service. Wow

Trains will only go express-on-the-local if the tower thinks that they can get all the way through the express run without catching up to a train making local stops.

I was on a R46 (F) today. The signs were malfunctioning. Here's what I saw:

E,F,G, R, N and Q to Jamaica Center

B, D to Queensboro Plaza

H to Euclid Av and Rockaway Park

C to 145, WTC, Euclid, Bedford Park and Rockaway Park

(S) to Franklin Av

(B) to 168 St and 21 St

(R) to 179