SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Kudos to the (Q) train operator who made it from Coney Island to Atlantic Avenue 7 minutes early. He plowed right through the switch at Kings Highway, and set a record for the fastest run from Atlantic Avenue to DeKalb Avenue. I think he made short work of the flagged zone around Avenue M as well. Trains don't need to slow down that much when there's nobody near the tracks.

A competent train operator can show what the real limits are. If CBTC ever gets to the Brighton Line, I expect a time savings of about 3 minutes for the local.

Reminds of when a rode 68 or 68A (Q) train about 10 years ago, T/O kept it wrapped right though the switch from the local to the express North of Parkside Ave.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't sing those praises too loudly lol. Speeding through a flagged zone is a pretty serious no-no.

He wasn't speeding, but he was going faster than a walking person (which is the usual speed train operators target in these zones).

If a track worker got hit, he'd get knocked over, but not maimed. And getting hit by a train moving slower than a bicycle would raise serious questions regarding the attentiveness of the hit track worker whose work should've been focused on the brick wall 12 feet away from the train.

Weird day on the rails today

This morning, caught the (D) from Bedford Park and it was the 2nd Concourse express of the day. Only been on it 3 times ever, and today made my first time catching it going south. Wasn't a bad ride, seems faster to me going south, than going north but its whatever.

Caught up to the (B) at 145 St and they held it so the (D) can meet up with it. Caught up to a (C) at 96 St, and we ended up being held at 59 St for like 2 minutes to wait for that same train.

Got on the bridge and we ended up sitting there near the Brooklyn portal (along with a (Q) train) for a few minutes for some reason. They ended up making my train stop at DeKalb when I know it wasn't, so I assumed there was some blockage on the bypass track or something. Then I see an (N) train roll by through the bypass as we leaving DeKalb, so now I was really confused.

They ended up holding that (N) and switched the (D) back to the express north of Pacific (thought they stopped using that switch, the one protected by the WD signal). Got off the train and waited for the (4), and a (5) comes in on the Manhattan bound local track with the signs saying via 7 Av. Got off the train at Saratoga and the shuttle bus was actually sitting there which never happens.

I'd gladly support it. Gives riders more Midtown options at Canal and Chambers (not just Delancey/Essex). That way, it reduces transfers and crowding at Delancey/Essex and on the (F), which can remain at its 10 minute weekend headways as it is now.

Before the current (M) service, did the connection between Delancey Street and B'dway Layette (Where the (M) splits away from the (J)) did that connection use to exist?

Yeah it existed ever since the Manhattan Bridge connection to 6th Avenue was created. But it didn't start service until a year later (when the then 57th Street-6th Avenue terminal opened) for the rush hour KK (later K) from 1968 to 1976. After 1976, there was almost no through service until 2010 when the cuts revived the connection for the (M) to use.

Thanks Btrain.

How many R32's are slated to be preserved?

I think 4

Well actually I think you guys probably mean the four cars that are already preserved.

3352-3353 are for the transit musuem (though not currently on display) and 2 other sets (though I don't know the car numbers) are in police training.

I see on the updated subway map, it just says Briarwood on the (E) and (F).

Funny change. On my 1979 and 1987 maps, the station is only listed as "Van Wyck Blvd." By the 1998 map, it's Briarwood-Van Wyck, and now we're just at Briarwood.

Yep, they dropped "Van Wyck Blvd" from the official name because some people felt the old name didn't accurately reflect its location. I say meh.

I'm still waiting on them to drop the name from the pdf map on the website. You'd think that would be the first place they'd update.

Edited by Lance

When I am on the (A) train going to Far Rockaway from Chambers St, it is rare to catch the same conductor every afternoon. The conductor still announce Fulton St as "Broadway-Nassau", Jay St-Metro Tech as "Jay St-Borough Hall" & Broadway Junction as "Broadway Junction-East New York". Yes I know those stations were former names before they were changed.