SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you just got home because there were major delays on the Queens Blvd Line. I think the Conductor and a MTA worker said a homeless person got hit at Forest Hills-71st Ave. R.I.P to them but gosh 3 hours to complete a 45 minute trip. This is another reason why Queens need more subway lines. If something happens on one part of the line the whole line is affected and you are screwed especially if you have to transfer to a bus afterwards.

Gosh, I love when train conductors try to be extra helpful. /s

Passengers holding doors is one thing… Conductors keeping them open for a few minutes after the green light and bell has gone off is another. This conductor did that on the (N) at Coney Island, then did it again at Bay Parkway and 8 Avenue, and a few more stops in Manhattan. The trip ended up taking longer than before the construction work began on the Sea Beach Line, and we were just slow enough that two (Q) trains passed us along the way to Manhattan. The first (Q) was the one that I chose not to board at Coney Island since it was pulling into the terminal when the (N) was given the order to leave. The second one passed at 28 Street.

I’m going to remember his face and know not to get on his train ever again.

What would cause a turnstile to think that a student pass is a 30-day unlimited MetroCard? I swiped my student pass this morning and it told me "SWIPE AGAIN AT THIS TURNSTILE", when I did so it said "GO PASS EXP 03/15/16", implying that I had an unlimited card.

Later that day I found out that it had still charged me a ride but thought I had an unlimited card. 

Edited by B3 Via Av U

Yesterday, I took a picture of a subway station sign that was marked with graffiti at Beach 36th St and I emailed the picture to the MTA website. Today, the station sign was clean. I Can't believe they already took care of it so fast when I went to the station and waited for my train.

I saw a complete mess at Flushing Main Street at around 5 something. My (7) pulled out of the station, and two of the pockets had a train in them. Right outside the portal, there was a (7) and a <7> waiting. So two trains waiting for one pocket. In between there and Willets Point was another <7>. At Willets Point there was a (7) and a <7>. Yikes, 5 trains that were going to go into one pocket, and maybe two by then. There must have been a lot of delays!

So today I saw one of those SMS'd R42s and it was so half assed, they repainted the bonnets and under the doors, shiny black trucks etc, but they still have those same brown rusty roofs SMH... well the one pair I saw at least.

The roofs on those trains rust so fast. There picture that was posted on here of an R42 that was cleaned up and it looked so fresh.

When the (1) is jammed pack and it's hot and the A/C isn't turned on; even a little. My gosh I was getting cooked for at least 3 stops.

You think that's bad? Try having to ride a R62A during the summer with it's A/C busted for 9 stops. It felt like an oven in there.

You think that's bad? Try having to ride a R62A during the summer with it's A/C busted for 9 stops. It felt like an oven in there.

Those (J) R42s in the dead of summer, I'd say at least 1-2 cars per train have no A/C. I open all the windows, and open the storm door all the way, stick my foot at the edge, and then it's livable. 

Ever since the (J) switched from mostly R160s to mostly R32s, I would always pass an R42 or an R160 up for an R32 whenever I wanted to look out the window in the first car on the entire line in both directions. Other than that, I take any train that shows up first. I can remember a couple of R32s with dead A/Cs on the (J) during the summer months. One was at the first car and some other day, in the middle car where the C/R is.

I wonder how the (7) has less hours of running Express to Manhattan (4 hours- 6AM-10AM) but during the PM, it goes on from 3 till late night (10PM)?

That is generally how rush hour works in our city. The (7) used to have express from 6 to 12:25 towards Manhattan and from about 12:55pm to around 9:30pm to Flushing but because of the constant track work express service had to be cut. Edited by NewFlyer 230

I wonder how the (7) has less hours of running Express to Manhattan (4 hours- 6AM-10AM) but during the PM, it goes on from 3 till late night (10PM)?

Aside from G.O., I think it has to do with the fact that people go to work or school around the same time, while everyone's return trip home varies. At least that's what I think. I always think that there is more service in the morning commute compare to the afternoon commute.

Edited by BronxBombers