SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

why was the "what is it like driving a subway car?" thread locked ?

No rules would of been broken if train operators had responded. I didn't see anyone comment about them unlawfully operating a train unless of course the comment was deleted..

Not even my thread but I was seriously interested in hearing what train operators would've said.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question, in the money train, was 8048 actually damaged or was it a mockup?

You mean 8408? And I have always been wondering that too. I think that it was the actual 8408 that was sent off to the Money Train film sets along with 8401 and one other. I could be wrong but this is based on what I read on nycsubway.org. R30 page: http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/R-27_--_R-30_(St._Louis_Car,_1960-1961)

Wait so that wasn't Prospect Park? (I mean I know it's not Prospect Park, but isn't that one of the stations on CPW?)

They built a fake subway system in LA where most of the subway scenes for Money Train was filmed.

IIRC the scene where Charlie was playing drunk in the beginning was filmed at 14th Union Square on the IRT platform, most of the other subway scenes was in LA.

Edited by trainfan22

They built a fake subway system in LA where most of the subway scenes for Money Train was filmed.

IIRC the scene where Charlie was playing drunk in the beginning was filmed at 14th Union Square on the IRT platform, most of the other subway scenes was in LA.

Wow that's a bummer :/

And for the show blindspot, the first episode, was that a R32 used or was that the money train?

Wow that's a bummer :/

And for the show blindspot, the first episode, was that a R32 used or was that the money train?

Blindspot is awesome. That scene when they were on the train was the scene from the Money Train. Some tv shows nowadays use some scenes from movies and put them in the show. The show that I remember watching was CSI: Cyber season 2 episode 11 "404: Flight Not Found" when the passenger plane was about to approach the runway, it showed the plane landing scene from the movie Air Force One.

Blindspot is awesome. That scene when they were on the train was the scene from the Money Train. Some tv shows nowadays use some scenes from movies and put them in the show. The show that I remember watching was CSI: Cyber season 2 episode 11 "404: Flight Not Found" when the passenger plane was about to approach the runway, it showed the plane landing scene from the movie Air Force One.

All of that scene used the money train? What about the scene when Keller jumped off the R32 to go into the tunnel to diffuse the thingy?

Hi all - new member here.

Random question: why did the MTA choose to paint R33 pair 9016-9017 in that weird not-quite-a-Redbird paint scheme? No car ever wore bright red from roof to trucks, with yellow handrails, etc.

You bet they did! Those R33s were delivered with an impossibly red color scheme with yellow grabholds. See this post with some period photos:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/22675-the-nostalgia-thread/?p=854573

You bet they did! Those R33s were delivered with an impossibly red color scheme with yellow grabholds. See this post with some period photos:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/22675-the-nostalgia-thread/?p=854573

Wow, I stand corrected. That's really interesting. I wonder how long they stayed that bright, haha. Those photos almost look photoshopped.

I have an interesting story to share:

So, I was on my way to my friend's house nearby the Kingsbridge Road (4) station and the train I was on terminated at Burnside Avenue. The next train going to Woodlawn was 9 minutes away, so I waited for it. Once I boarded that train, we conveniently bypassed Kingsbridge and I got off the next stop, which I happened to miss the train going back and had to wait yet another five minutes. I realized that I would have been better off just walking back rather than waiting.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

I have an interesting story to share:

So, I was on my way to my friend's house nearby the Kingsbridge Road (4) station and the train I was on terminated at Burnside Avenue. The next train going to Woodlawn was 9 minutes away, so I waited for it. Once I boarded that train, we conveniently bypassed Kingsbridge and I got off the next stop, which I happened to miss the train going back and had to wait yet another five minutes. I realized that I would have been better off just walking back rather than waiting.

I have crappy luck when it comes to trains too... and buses.

I really do with people would stop giving Vignelli credit for the Chrystie St maps. He had no part in those maps. For that matter, he also played no part in the rainbow pride color designation for the routes.

I think the new PA announcements on the (2)(5) were taken off. I was on 6551-6555 with 6571-6575 and it was the usual (the announcements). 

Good. That was a pointless waste of time. It didn't save any time and it just made the announcements sound like broken English. Now, if they can revert back to the long-form destination readings on the 142s/142As, that'd be appreciated.

I really do with people would stop giving Vignelli credit for the Chrystie St maps. He had no part in those maps. For that matter, he also played no part in the rainbow pride color designation for the routes.

Is that true? From what I've read in interviews with him, the bullet system was his creation (with Noorda). Granted, I don't know who came up with the exact colors, my general understanding was everything after the time the TA contracted Unimark came from them.

Is that true? From what I've read in interviews with him, the bullet system was his creation (with Noorda). Granted, I don't know who came up with the exact colors, my general understanding was everything after the time the TA contracted Unimark came from th

Paul Shaw's book says Goldstein chose the colors and both Noorda and Vignelli created the sign system using research and people watching by Noorda.