SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

CBTC is in effect on all Lines in Queens(depending on the train and if the TO is qualified) from 0600 to basically 2200 hrs..

Of coruse sometimes we are in it all day all night Depends on what they want to do...

Its in effect on the Echo from 50th to Queens Plaza (Not in effect in the Bypass yet)and from Roosevelt to Kew Gardens..

The Mikey from 47th-50th to queens plaza, and from Roosevelt CTL..

The Romeo same as the Mikey 

The Fox from Kew Gardens to Roosevelt that's it.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RTOMan said:

CBTC is in effect on all Lines in Queens(depending on the train and if the TO is qualified) from 0600 to basically 2200 hrs..

Of coruse sometimes we are in it all day all night Depends on what they want to do...

Its in effect on the Echo from 50th to Queens Plaza (Not in effect in the Bypass yet)and from Roosevelt to Kew Gardens..

The Mikey from 47th-50th to queens plaza, and from Roosevelt CTL..

The Romeo same as the Mikey 

The Fox from Kew Gardens to Roosevelt that's it.

Why the half activations? Isn't that annoying to the operator having to keep switching back and forth?

13 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I just noticed with the new AAS program update, the (5) to and from 238th St now use Diane's station announcements instead of Jessica's, that sucks...

This pandemic practically broke the East's announcement programs, changing between a loud voice from Lexington to the more gentle voice from Broadway - 7 Av. I do not know why they haven't come around to add more space on the computers that hold the announcements, though the fact that they managed to add space for the announcements that hold the R188 announcement program for the (7) train was a wise move. The R142/A need to get more space for their programs, but I doubt it would matter now as a result of the R262 that could come any year from now.

Besides, I knew about this during the early mornings that I needed to take the Bronx thru <5> Express from 238 Street; the last time I took it was the winter before the pandemic and they sill managed to have Jessica on it during the first few months of the pandemic from March to around August. The Franklin - Medgar Evers update should have been implemented much later than they did.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu

14 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Why the half activations? Isn't that annoying to the operator having to keep switching back and forth?

Software updates take time..

They are running CBTC test train GOs on the Midnights constantly gotta work these bugs out..

Not in the least either we leave the terminal in BYPASS or not...

Edited by RTOMan

On 5/8/2021 at 1:34 PM, CenSin said:

If they could take either the (2) or (5) wouldn’t that mean in the AM, there are those transferring from the (2) as well? Or is the lower number of transfers attributable to the fact that people would rather stand on the same platform than walk the stairs for the (4)?

Yeah, plus people would also wait for the (5) at the station they're on unless it was a local station then, they might head to either 149 St stations for (2) trains. Majority of the movement will be to the (2) train (either from Jerome Av or from the (5).)  Not much need to transfer to Lexington Avenue unless you're on the (2) transferring and it doesn't matter which level you're at, you can still take either (4) or (5), most people would opt for the (5) on the same platform. 

I wonder if the R160s that were used (before) on Queens Blvd: 9853-9942 have the CBTC kit for Queens Blvd or that it's turned off when being used on the (N)(W) Astoria line. 

Edited by Calvin

17 hours ago, Calvin said:

I wonder if the R160s that were used (before) on Queens Blvd: 9853-9942 have the CBTC kit for Queens Blvd or that it's turned off when being used on the (N)(W) Astoria line. 

I think they do have CBTC kits, because the switch happened in December, and CBTC was already activated partially, so in your case, the (N)(W) R160s are in CBTC Bypass Mode. If i recall correctly, the updated CBTC Contract for Queens Blvd was to have ALL R160s from 8377 - 9974 equipped, while the original contract was going to leave all the 99XX R160s out (9903-9942 for the (N), and 9943-9974 for the (J)). 

Expect longer waits for ‌(Q) trains in both directions. We're running as much service as we can with the train crews we have available.

Posted: 5/23/21 8:09 AM

Okay… what is up with that? Everyone just decided to take a weekend-long vacation all at once?

7 hours ago, CenSin said:

Expect longer waits for ‌(Q) trains in both directions. We're running as much service as we can with the train crews we have available.

Posted: 5/23/21 8:09 AM

Okay… what is up with that? Everyone just decided to take a weekend-long vacation all at once?

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

A perfect combination of Covid protocol, vacationing crews, overtime cost reductions, and a staff shortage

(MTA) guy in Supervision or Dispatcher (I forget which) said that they are still testing them every day upon arrival, and if they have a high temperature or anything like that to show that they be a risk, they are sent home, so yeah between that, the hiring freeze and them trying to cut back on OT, this is what we get. It varies from day-to-day too. Supposedly they are hiring or hired more train workers, but who knows. I don't see the situation changing for a while.

42 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Sorta funny, the TA installed these new signs at W4 to replace the 1990s overhead signs. Unfortunately, they followed the 1990s service patterns, so they read ACE Uptown to the Bronx and Queens. 

Maybe they're looking to send (A) trains up Riverdale Avenue. *shot*

Not surprised.  When the (R) ran the occasional R32 in the 2000s and then a bunch of R40Ms and R42s in '08'-'09, there were always a bunch of rollsigns in the consists set to the brown <R>.  Odd because it didn't really happen that often on the R46s, by contrast.

On a side note, what does surprise me is we still don't have the brown <R> icon; we got the (brownM), the (RR), even the (RJ), but no brown <R>.  What gives?   

Edited by R10 2952

15 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

On a side note, what does surprise me is we still don't have the brown <R> icon; we got the (brownM), the (RR), even the (RJ), but no brown <R>.  What gives?   

Interesting we never had a "Brown (R) " symbol on this.  I know I would have used it more than a few times suggesting what essentially would be that route, especially when I suggested essentially doing a split (J) / (Z) route what would have had both routes (with the (Z) becoming full time and save for a few (J) trains during rush hour that would continue to Broad Street) ending at Chambers to where you would do a simple cross-platform transfer to continue with the (J) running Jamaica Center-Chambers and the (Z) running the old "Brown (R) " route of Chambers-95th Street and the (R) starting elsewhere, running as it does now to 71-Continental. 

On 5/27/2021 at 1:12 AM, R10 2952 said:

Not surprised.  When the (R) ran the occasional R32 in the 2000s and then a bunch of R40Ms and R42s in '08'-'09, there were always a bunch of rollsigns in the consists set to the brown <R>.  Odd because it didn't really happen that often on the R46s, by contrast.

the reason for that is that some of those cars were (V) trains and the brown (R) was the closest sign.

4 minutes ago, vioreen said:

When will the (Q) see new tech again?

Probably over 2023 or so. But, you can always find one as a (R) to 96 St during the AM rush going to Stillwell Av southbound and sometimes (N) at Stillwell Av signed up as a (Q) going to 96 St on weekdays. 

On 5/28/2021 at 1:12 PM, Around the Horn said:

Sometimes they would get really lazy and you'd get " (V) " trains to 95th Street

yep, lots of R32's and r40/42's had that lmao, That was one big reason why they didn't want the (R)(V) to have most of the Older cars. Some (R) trains turned into (V) trains. But in July of 2009 new management (I heard someone from the IRT) demanded that the (E) would be 100% R160 while the (F) has most of the r46's and R160's and the (R)(V) have all the R32's,R40M/R42's. The (G) was also going to have 6 car SMEE's as well but that never happened due to weekend OPTO.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:44 AM, R32 3838 said:

yep, lots of R32's and r40/42's had that lmao, That was one big reason why they didn't want the (R)(V) to have most of the Older cars. Some (R) trains turned into (V) trains. But in July of 2009 new management (I heard someone from the IRT) demanded that the (E) would be 100% R160 while the (F) has most of the r46's and R160's and the (R)(V) have all the R32's,R40M/R42's. The (G) was also going to have 6 car SMEE's as well but that never happened due to weekend OPTO.

Jamaica Yard loved to play musical chairs with the car assignments; for most of the '90s and 2000s they had this habit of randomly bouncing sets of R32s from the (E); often to the (F), sometimes to the (R) , rarely to the (G).  Interestingly, they never assigned any R32s to the (V) until 2009, for whatever reason.

4 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Jamaica Yard loved to play musical chairs with the car assignments; for most of the '90s and 2000s they had this habit of randomly bouncing sets of R32s from the (E); often to the (F), sometimes to the (R) , rarely to the (G).  Interestingly, they never assigned any R32s to the (V) until 2009, for whatever reason.

from 1991-2001 the assignments were mainly

(E) R32, R46 occasional

(F) R46

(G) R32,R46

(R) R46, R32 occasional

2001-2008

(E) R32

(F) R32,R46

(R)  a few R32 rush hour put ins, R46

(V) R46

August 2008- July 2009

(E) R32,R40M,R42,R160

(F) R32,R40M,R42,R46,R160

(R) R32,R40M,R42,R46 * 60 foot smee's (rush hour put ins)

(V) R46

July 2009-December2009

(E) R160

(F) R46,R160

(R) R32,R40M,R42,R46

(V) R32,R40M,R42

December 2009-May 2010

(E) R160

(F) R46,R160

(R) R46

(V) R32,R46

June 2010-2020

(E) R160

(F) R160, *R46 (the (F) was all r160 until 2012 when the R46 started popping back up as put ins)

(R) R46

present day (E)(F)(R) all R160.

the reason why they made the (V) 100% R46's was due to them wanting to attract riders which didn't work. originally the (V) was going to have R32's on it until they decided on the R46's plus the (R) / (V) shared equipment so it made it easier to swap vs. an R32 where they would have to change all the rollsigns.