BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

5 hours ago, NBTA said:

6196 just got into an accident on the M103, hopefully everyone’s okay. Currently on citizen, says that people are trapped on said bus. 

The two people in question were the bus driver and a 97-year old passenger, both taken to the hospital. The bus jumped the curve at 58th St, but its unclear if the driver was attempting to make a right turn (which shouldn’t be the case as the driver would of gone in the wrong direction) or if something else happened. All this comes from a Pix 11 report earlier.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen on the local news that an wheelchair rider got robbed ON an Staten Island local bus (S40) . The bum took 250 dollars from the man's shirt pocket, IDK why he was carrying 250 dollars in his shirt pocket. That's what wallets are for if you must carry physical cash for whatever reason.

49 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

On Richmond Avenue (deadheading from the Yukon Depot) or on Victory Blvd?

On Victory Blvd. I was stuck in traffic on Richmond Ave on an Ferry bound S44. I thought about transferring to the S62 and saw the buses bunched up on the app. The traffic was on Victory Blvd too, once my S44 passed Victory Blvd it was smooth sailing on Richmond Ave.

Still ended up transferring to the S48 since I never rode it during the daytime and I have been wanting to fan that route.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:16 PM, trainfan22 said:

Just seen on the local news that an wheelchair rider got robbed ON an Staten Island local bus (S40) . The bum took 250 dollars from the man's shirt pocket, IDK why he was carrying 250 dollars in his shirt pocket. That's what wallets are for if you must carry physical cash for whatever reason.

He might have issues using pants pockets if he is in a wheelchair and has disabilities, but yeah, that is asking for trouble. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Y'all rocking with this new Bx41 Local schedule??

https://new.mta.info/document/88916

Looks like they only put the schedules for the hawk runs.

MTA could get away with this too, as I'm sure riders who ride BX41 during the day and early evenings don't look at the online schedule. If I was a betting man 99% of BX41 riders just show up at the bus stop and wait for the bus to come.

Reminds me of someone who complained about an error on the online timetables of the Frankin Ave Shuttle:lol: If this was an express bus timetable or an local route with long headways all day (like the Q67 for example) then this would be an issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TA only put the hawk schedule on purpose on some a$$ hole tip, with their line of thinking being no one checks for the online timetables for the daytime/early evening BX41 anyway lol. Basically they was aware of the error and didn't care to correct it.

Edited by trainfan22

Here's something weird. I decided to head to Woodhaven, and went to the first pick-up on the QM12 route (Metropolitan Avenue-71st Road). I waited for the 10AM final trip into Manhattan. When it came time, it didn't arrive at it's time. At first I thought it was slightly delayed, but suddenly the QM12 bus into Manhattan was on the opposite section of the avenue. This means that I wasted this trip for nothing, and I didn't get a chance to ride the express via Yellowstone. As a result, I went back to Woodhaven Boulevard, and took the QM15 back into Manhattan. Based on the schedule, the QM12 that goes into Manhattan starts at 71st Road. I'm assumed that the B/O didn't see me, even though I was at the stop, or that he seemed to didn't care at all, and skipped me. This was the first time that I had this issue when a run skips the first stop on it's route. It is rare, but express operators should pay attention to the schedule, and stop at the first pick-up before going to the other stops, if there is someone at the first stop.

Edited by RSMG106

On 9/7/2022 at 12:35 AM, RSMG106 said:

Here's something weird. I decided to head to Woodhaven, and went to the first pick-up on the QM12 route (Metropolitan Avenue-71st Road). I waited for the 10AM final trip into Manhattan. When it came time, it didn't arrive at it's time. At first I thought it was slightly delayed, but suddenly the QM12 bus into Manhattan was on the opposite section of the avenue. This means that I wasted this trip for nothing, and I didn't get a chance to ride the express via Yellowstone. As a result, I went back to Woodhaven Boulevard, and took the QM15 back into Manhattan. Based on the schedule, the QM12 that goes into Manhattan starts at 71st Road. I'm assumed that the B/O didn't see me, even though I was at the stop, or that he seemed to didn't care at all, and skipped me. This was the first time that I had this issue when a run skips the first stop on it's route. It is rare, but express operators should pay attention to the schedule, and stop at the first pick-up before going to the other stops, if there is someone at the first stop.

For the longest time I thought the QM12’s first stop was across from the Forest View Apartments with the Q23. It wasn’t until recently that I discovered that the QM12/QM42 has a stop on Metropolitan and 71st Road. I think the reason that stop exist is because of when the QM12 and Q23’s routing changed in Forest Hills. Buses used to go up 71st to Metropolitan, then make a right on Metropolitan Ave to Trotting Course Lane so folks on that side lost easy access to the express.

10 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

For the longest time I thought the QM12’s first stop was across from the Forest View Apartments with the Q23. It wasn’t until recently that I discovered that the QM12/QM42 has a stop on Metropolitan and 71st Road. I think the reason that stop exist is because of when the QM12 and Q23’s routing changed in Forest Hills. Buses used to go up 71st to Metropolitan, then make a right on Metropolitan Ave to Trotting Course Lane so folks on that side lost easy access to the express.

It's worth nothing that the first stop often times is skipped from what I have heard, in part because there isn't a ton of usage at the end of the route. Not excusing it by any means. Just putting it out there in case people try to use the first stop. It would be wise to get the bus further along the route.  That said, anyone bypassed should file a formal complaint.  That's the only way to correct the problem.

That reminds me of the X63,64,68 picking up at the taxi stand further up the road instead of bus stop at 1st Ave, it seems a lot of express lines have weird quirks that you don't know if you're not a regular, which isn't great for infrequent riders.

7 hours ago, IAlam said:

That reminds me of the X63,64,68 picking up at the taxi stand further up the road instead of bus stop at 1st Ave, it seems a lot of express lines have weird quirks that you don't know if you're not a regular, which isn't great for infrequent riders.

Don't even get me started on the random whims of B/Os who have told me "stand here during rush hour" only to have other B/Os tell me to stand in a completely different part of the stop. 

This nonsense makes me long for the future of autonomous buses, where lazy a** employees are taken out of the equation. 

Don't know if it's been that way or recent: Today, while using the Q27 to Queens College from Main St-Flushing, the one seater that's close to the operator is open to passengers again. Before, it's usually chained off for social distancing. Bus #8493

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

Don't know if it's been that way or recent: Today, while using the Q27 to Queens College from Main St-Flushing, the one seater that's close to the operator is open to passengers again. Before, it's usually chained off for social distancing. Bus #8493

A lot of buses had the chains removed months and months ago. There are still a few running around with it chained off but most of them are open. 
Also the Q17 runs by Queens College and the Q27 runs by Queensborough Community College.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

So I got on a local bus today and noticed the bus op playing music. I only ever seen that on express buses before, and those bus ops turn it off as soon as the first passengers gets on. But normally I don't mind I as I understand that driving all day can be boring and having music can help people get through the day easier. At the next red light after I boarded, the bus stop started changing music on his phone and again I wouldn't mind that much since the bus wasn't moving, but once the light turned green the op started to move the bus still with the phone in hand. I was on the bus only for a couple blocks but the entire time they we're on their phone. I ended up taking a quick pick and reporting it, but I feel bad about doing that since the bus op seemed like a nice person. But being on your phone while driving a bus is just reckless and unacceptable. Idk how strict the MTA would be about it, but I don't like the idea of being that person responsible for them possibly loosing their job. 

Edited by IAlam

13 minutes ago, IAlam said:

So I got on a local bus today and noticed the bus op playing music. I only ever seen that on express buses before, and those bus ops turn it off as soon as the first passengers gets on. But normally I don't mind I as I understand that driving all day can be boring and having music can help people get through the day easier. At the next red light after I boarded, the bus stop started changing music on his phone and again I wouldn't mind that much since the bus wasn't moving, but once the light turned green the op started to move the bus still with the phone in hand. I was on the bus only for a couple blocks but the entire time they we're on their phone. I ended up taking a quick pick and reporting it, but I feel bad about doing that since the bus op seemed like a nice person. But being on your phone while driving a bus is just reckless and unacceptable. Idk how strict the MTA would be about it, but I don't like the idea of being that person responsible for them possibly loosing their job. 

I've come across this a few times. One time a B/O was listening to the Yankees game as he was driving (recognized John Sterling's voice) one time a B/O was bumping Crazy in Love by Beyonce while driving.

On NICE Bus this B/O kept getting out of the driver's seat to text every few stops lol. I guess its easy to run hot on those Hempstead - Far Rock routes and that was his way of killing time.

10 hours ago, IAlam said:

So let me get this straight - you don’t like the idea of someone losing their job, but file a complaint that will make them lose their job? How does that make the least bit of sense?