BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode 7890? on the B15 today, wasn't even looking for it. Was planning to take the B47 when I walked past the bus. Looked at the railing on the roof extending the entire length of the bus, first I thought it was an hybrid, then I saw the numbers 7890 and said to myself, whoa, that's one of the new XD40 diesel buses!!!!

Of course I rode it, nice bus but weak A/C. I expected my first ride on these units to be on ethier the B17 or B42, not the B15.

Same thing happened to me, thought it was a hybrid, ended up being a XD40 (7862 on the 52).

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that it looks like the artics are being converted from SBS to local scheme, perhaps in a couple yrs when all routes become equipped with chargers it could be possible to do some route swapage between 100 and 146.

For interlining purposes I see it possible to swap the M15 SBS for the M102/M125 which I believe more or less share a similar spare factor. Plus (slightly off topic), it's gonna look good when the M35 has a consistent fleet of local scheme buses instead of "borrowing" buses from the M15-SBS.

Why do B/Os open the rear door at the first stop on local lines in the BX, thus making it easier for people to farebeat? These farebeaters be expecting the op to open to rear door at the first stop too so it must be common practice there. 

Pending how busy the first stop is you could actually get punished by paying cause all the fare beaters will take all the good seats before a fare paying customer can board.

I wonder, with units that's out of NYC Bus, before being moved to MTA Bus, do they do full inspection on the units before determining it's available for transfer? There are units that can be in order that's moved while the other unit is sent to scrap. 

Edited by Calvin

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Why do B/Os open the rear door at the first stop on local lines in the BX, thus making it easier for people to farebeat? These farebeaters be expecting the op to open to rear door at the first stop too so it must be common practice there. 

Pending how busy the first stop is you could actually get punished by paying cause all the fare beaters will take all the good seats before a fare paying customer can board.

Thats because we are supposed to activate the interlock on every stop and part because the fastest we board everyone we can keep going 

14 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

Grand Avenue, Michael J. Quill, and Kingsbridge still have a small amount '08-10 NG Hybrids in service. As far as I'm aware of, these depots have already received their share of new buses. Anyone know why they're holding onto their older hybrids?

This maybe a different solution but, I'm guessing in case of any problems that were found. The few are there for assistance or that if there's an upcoming storm around winter, the 40 footers are part of the pool on top of it. 

Last night I had a dream where I rode Nova RTS #9327 on the BM2, still had the express bus seats. Got off at Flatbush & Glenwood even though that isn't a stop on the BM2 in reality, transfered to the B41 which was RTS 9302. 

Odd dream considering SC never had Nova RTS and FLA never had 9302, nor are those buses notable to me personally.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:34 PM, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I think the only thing that stopped it from going to Fordham was the lack of space in Fordham Plaza. The layovers of the Bx15 & 17 cram the parking area. Then again, the MTA wants to put the Q44 on Fordham Plaza so my argument might be moot.

I would put the (Q44SBS) drop-off/layover/pick-up on 189th west of Third, then return via 189th, left Webster, left 188th, right Third.

Meanwhile, (Bx30) could lay over on 189th east of Third (with Bee-Line #60 and #61).

Everytime I need to take the Q54 there is always some lengthy wait time for it. How has this been allowed to go on for years without correction? This afternoon bus time said 29 mins but we can’t get any sort of improvement for routes like the Q54 until this “redesign” goes into effect. 

It’s pathetic because it is evident that the ones who are in control and calling the shots are simply filling a role and collecting checks. They don’t have to take the bus so why would they really care? 

But even when it comes to this “redesign” they still are trying to figure out ways to save money when more money should be spent to see what can work. Removing a bunch of stops may make a route faster but what’s the point if it’s going to negatively affect a bunch of riders. From what I remember about the QT4 from the original redesign proposal I think the Q54 could benefit from a LTD/express variant to get people to their destinations faster but don’t cut local service at the same time to make something like the QT4 a thing. It is sad how often times I can walk all the way from Jamaica Ave/ Parsons Blvd to Metropolitan Ave/71Ave without a Williamsburg bound Q54 passing me. 

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Everytime I need to take the Q54 there is always some lengthy wait time for it. How has this been allowed to go on for years without correction? This afternoon bus time said 29 mins but we can’t get any sort of improvement for routes like the Q54 until this “redesign” goes into effect. 

It’s pathetic because it is evident that the ones who are in control and calling the shots are simply filling a role and collecting checks. They don’t have to take the bus so why would they really care? 

But even when it comes to this “redesign” they still are trying to figure out ways to save money when more money should be spent to see what can work. Removing a bunch of stops may make a route faster but what’s the point if it’s going to negatively affect a bunch of riders. From what I remember about the QT4 from the original redesign proposal I think the Q54 could benefit from a LTD/express variant to get people to their destinations faster but don’t cut local service at the same time to make something like the QT4 a thing. It is sad how often times I can walk all the way from Jamaica Ave/ Parsons Blvd to Metropolitan Ave/71Ave without a Williamsburg bound Q54 passing me. 

That was the QT3.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

It's very simple. No one is complaining on the local bus side to initiate real change and have people held accountable. That is why I started my group. I got sick of having no bus service to get to work and having to scramble to get home after a long day in the office. If they can get away with not filling trips, they will, which is why I petitioned the City Comptroller for an audit on the express bus side, but they should he audited on the local bus side too. No one is checking to see that the figures that they release about service provided and on-time performance on the local bus side is even accurate. 

Meanwhile, they continue to cut on the operations side because the riding public on the local bus side either stops taking the bus or just takes it in stride.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's very simple. No one is complaining on the local bus side to initiate real change and have people held accountable. That is why I started my group. I got sick of having no bus service to get to work and having to scramble to get home after a long day in the office. If they can get away with not filling trips, they will, which is why I petitioned the City Comptroller for an audit on the express bus side, but they should he audited on the local bus side too. No one is checking to see that the figures that they release about service provided and on-time performance on the local bus side is even accurate. 

Meanwhile, they continue to cut on the operations side because the riding public on the local bus side either stops taking the bus or just takes it in stride.

This it's really sad how poorly some local route run. ie. M98 there are days we're multiple trips just no show back to back with wait exceeding over an hour and maybe a little a 1-2 trips running altogether in the off peak direction on some days. 

14 hours ago, IAlam said:

This it's really sad how poorly some local route run. ie. M98 there are days we're multiple trips just no show back to back with wait exceeding over an hour and maybe a little a 1-2 trips running altogether in the off peak direction on some days. 

Even with the cut from 34th street, now to Hunter College.. This is really pathetic.. If anything the M98 was better off at 34th Street. That was the true Lex Ave express.

16 hours ago, IAlam said:

I must admit that I rarely see those M98 buses when I take the BxM1, not on the Harlem River Drive and not along Lex or 3rd Av.

19 hours ago, IAlam said:

Perhaps some of it might be because of operators calling out sick, but the other thing that tanks reliability is traffic near the GWB. Fort Washington Ave from 181st Street to the bridge can be a real chokepoint, and buses can often get stuck there for long periods of time. It also builds traffic up north of 181st Street on multiple occasions too, making it even tougher for buses to head back down from Cabrini Boulevard. Some days its manageable, but other days it's just downright brutal. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Perhaps some of it might be because of operators calling out sick, but the other thing that tanks reliability is traffic near the GWB. Fort Washington Ave from 181st Street to the bridge can be a real chokepoint, and buses can often get stuck there for long periods of time. It also builds traffic up north of 181st Street on multiple occasions too, making it even tougher for buses to head back down from Cabrini Boulevard. Some days its manageable, but other days it's just downright brutal. 

They can't keep using bus operators calling out sick as an excuse. I've been following this situation closely because they've been short operators going back to 2019, which was before the pandemic, when they decided to enact a hiring freeze. That said, they have said that they are on target in terms of hiring more bus operators, so that means that we should be seeing fewer cancellations overall, not more. I don't know what the story is with the local buses in general in terms of how bad it is, but I have heard of quite a few people complaining about excessive long waits.  The other issue seems to be that they don't have enough manpower to oversee operations to address insane gaps in service. How quickly they are addressing that is anyone's guess. There are things coming down the pipeline that I'm not going to discuss here that should better protect bus operators in general, so if they continue with that and take other measurs to mitigate drivers becoming ill, perhaps that will mean even fewer drivers being out.

On 7/31/2022 at 4:58 PM, Lex said:

That was the QT3.

Thank you!

On 7/31/2022 at 5:36 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It is sad that more people don’t complain about these things. I am concerned with how the rest of the redesigns will turn out because the (MTA) really isn’t trying to be innovative and creative. I was most disappointed with the proposal’s for the Queens express bus network because this could have been the perfect moment to do something different like a QM4 via Jewel Ave and 73rd Ave, expended service on the QM3, maybe even fix the Queens express bus routes in Manhattan. I always wondered how feasible it would be to have some buses routes travel to and from Manhattan via the Midtown tunnel but then have buses run north to 42nd via 3rd and then travel along south along either 5th or 7th Ave south towards Union Square or even the East Village to perhaps attract new riders. The MTA could have done better with Queens express bus network. 

On 8/1/2022 at 11:41 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Even with the cut from 34th street, now to Hunter College.. This is really pathetic.. If anything the M98 was better off at 34th Street. That was the true Lex Ave express.

I’m still surprised over a decade later that the M98 was saved because it just stops so suddenly at Hunter College when it should have continued going to 34th. I’m not surprised that runs go missing on a route like the M98 because it’s primarily an afterthought. It probably would be best to get rid of it since the M4, M101, M102, and M103 already does most of what the M98 is suppose to do. 

I rode an SRO M98 before N/B in the peak direction, so cutting it might not go over well with its ridership base. I think the route has its purpose because none of east side subway lines go to Washington Heights. 

Even with HRD traffic the M98 is probably still quicker to the heights from the east side vs taking the (4) train to the BX13, BX11 or BX35.

Edited by trainfan22

On 8/1/2022 at 5:14 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

On 8/1/2022 at 6:45 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They can't keep using bus operators calling out sick as an excuse. I've been following this situation closely because they've been short operators going back to 2019, which was before the pandemic, when they decided to enact a hiring freeze. That said, they have said that they are on target in terms of hiring more bus operators, so that means that we should be seeing fewer cancellations overall, not more. I don't know what the story is with the local buses in general in terms of how bad it is, but I have heard of quite a few people complaining about excessive long waits.  The other issue seems to be that they don't have enough manpower to oversee operations to address insane gaps in service. How quickly they are addressing that is anyone's guess. There are things coming down the pipeline that I'm not going to discuss here that should better protect bus operators in general, so if they continue with that and take other measurs to mitigate drivers becoming ill, perhaps that will mean even fewer drivers being out.

I might start keeping my eye on that line the next couple of days, it's been more than a year since I've last used it but I wonder how it's doing now.

16 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

If anything, the M98 should be re-extended back to 34th Street. It clearly serves a purpose.

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I rode an SRO M98 before N/B in the peak direction, so cutting it might not go over well with its ridership base. I think the route has its purpose because none of east side subway lines go to Washington Heights. 

Even with HRD traffic the M98 is probably still quicker to the heights from the east side vs taking the (4) train to the BX13, BX11 or BX35.

I'd say either 2 things that make the line more useful.

Either cut it to 125th and treat it as a shuttle between the Lexington Ave Line and Washington Heights maybe some midday and weekend service could be added too.

Or just running it back to 34th Street. On a side note it's too bad the MTA didn't consider adding a bus terminal to the Penn Redevelopment project, it'd be nice if there was a proper place for Midtown buses to terminate, there could've been a proper terminal for the Q32, M4, M5, and possibly an M98 that actually ran to Midtown.

11 minutes ago, IAlam said:

I might start keeping my eye on that line the next couple of days, it's been more than a year since I've last used it but I wonder how it's doing now.

I'd say either 2 things that make the line more useful.

Either cut it to 125th and treat it as a shuttle between the Lexington Ave Line and Washington Heights maybe some midday and weekend service could be added too.

Or just running it back to 34th Street. On a side note it's too bad the MTA didn't consider adding a bus terminal to the Penn Redevelopment project, it'd be nice if there was a proper place for Midtown buses to terminate, there could've been a proper terminal for the Q32, M4, M5, and possibly an M98 that actually ran to Midtown.

They actually could run it down to 34th again now that they have a bus lane on Lexington. I find that things move much better now vs. pre-pandemic when I take the BxM1 along there.

I want to concur with running the M98 back to 34th, but I'd say the damage has long been done....

Now with the M100 having been neutered, it makes the demand that much more one-sided for the M101 (again).... Amazing how they can clip the M100 at 125th, but double-down with retaining the M101....