BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

53 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I want to concur with running the M98 back to 34th, but I'd say the damage has long been done....

Now with the M100 having been neutered, it makes the demand that much more one-sided for the M101 (again).... Amazing how they can clip the M100 at 125th, but double-down with retaining the M101....

Wouldn't hold my breath. I feel like by the time Manhattan redesign knowing how the MTA is they will either chop more of the M98 or cut the M101 with a different LTD bus route taking it's place 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Wouldn't hold my breath. I feel like by the time Manhattan redesign knowing how the MTA is they will either chop more of the M98 or cut the M101 with a different LTD bus route taking it's place 

Wouldn’t be surprised if they flat out got rid of the M101 and gave the M103 more service. I could see the MTA possibly wanting the M60 and M125 to be the main routes along 125th street. I could also see the MTA rerouting the M102 from 116th to 125th street to compensate for the loss of the M101. 

5 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I could see them replacing the M101 with a full time M98, but I think that's a bit of an extreme solution

I could see this too. I think the M98 should be cut back to GWB terminal and run as a LTD to Penn Station. 

However I think what the MTA might do is make the M102 a LTD route while keeping the same terminals and perhaps a reroute to 125th street to connect to the Metro North and compensate for the loss of M101 service. The M103 would get more service to make up for loss of service local and with the bus lanes be put along Lexington/3rd Ave the routes should run faster. Of course the MTA is also going to remove a ton of stops so that will help out some as well. 

20 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they flat out got rid of the M101 and gave the M103 more service. I could see the MTA possibly wanting the M60 and M125 to be the main routes along 125th street. I could also see the MTA rerouting the M102 from 116th to 125th street to compensate for the loss of the M101. 

I could only see the M101 being cut along Lexington/3rd Ave in favor of the 101 serving Amsterdam Ave route between 193rd and 125th full time. Either that or axing the 103 in favor of beefing up the current 101 setup and keeping the 102 as the local route in the area. I say this with little familiarity with the current ridership of the 101-103 nowadays so I’m not convinced by my thoughts either.

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I want to concur with running the M98 back to 34th, but I'd say the damage has long been done....

Now with the M100 having been neutered, it makes the demand that much more one-sided for the M101 (again).... Amazing how they can clip the M100 at 125th, but double-down with retaining the M101....

The M101 is a very busy route, at least from where I use it, which is between 86th down to 8th St. Been a rider for years, albeit occasionally.

13 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Time will tell....

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Based on what? Three different routes, with different ridership bases.  

9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I could see them replacing the M101 with a full time M98, but I think that's a bit of an extreme solution

Based on what?

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I could see this too. I think the M98 should be cut back to GWB terminal and run as a LTD to Penn Station. 

However I think what the MTA might do is make the M102 a LTD route while keeping the same terminals and perhaps a reroute to 125th street to connect to the Metro North and compensate for the loss of M101 service. The M103 would get more service to make up for loss of service local and with the bus lanes be put along Lexington/3rd Ave the routes should run faster. Of course the MTA is also going to remove a ton of stops so that will help out some as well. 

Based on what?

9 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I could only see the M101 being cut along Lexington/3rd Ave in favor of the 101 serving Amsterdam Ave route between 193rd and 125th full time. Either that or axing the 103 in favor of beefing up the current 101 setup and keeping the 102 as the local route in the area. I say this with little familiarity with the current ridership of the 101-103 nowadays so I’m not convinced by my thoughts either.

Based on what? 

47 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Based on what? 

I only made a response to a "what if" Cutting the M101 is nothing official, just a guess some forum members put on the thread.

Side note: XN40 709 was involved in a crash this morning on the Bx21. Bus crashed into a subway pillar leaving 12 injured, one in critical condition.

https://www.audacy.com/1010wins/news/local/multiple-people-injured-when-mta-bus-crashes-into-pole

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I only made a response to a "what if" Cutting the M101 is nothing official, just a guess some forum members put on the thread.

Side note: XN40 709 was involved in a crash this morning on the Bx21. Bus crashed into a subway pillar leaving 12 injured, one in critical condition.

https://www.audacy.com/1010wins/news/local/multiple-people-injured-when-mta-bus-crashes-into-pole

I know it's not official. What leaves me perplexed is people stating scenarios without any reason.  It's like saying I think it's going to rain today with no explanation as to why you came to that conclusion.  Makes no sense.

3 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

An update on the bus crash: The person in critical condition is the bus driver, a 44-year old woman who police say suffered a medical episode (heart attack or something else). Hopefully she pulls through.

3 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

An update on the bus crash: The person in critical condition is the bus driver, a 44-year old woman who police say suffered a medical episode (heart attack or something else). Hopefully she pulls through.

Ditto.

The only good(?) thing is that it wasn't caused by some idiot forcing the driver into an imminent crash.

5 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Word is the op passed away due to heart problems.

On 8/3/2022 at 7:59 PM, B35 via Church said:

I could see another reconfiguration where the M125 and the M101 swap terminals. The M100 was covered in the Bronx redesign, but not the M101.

Edited by aemoreira81

On 8/3/2022 at 8:54 PM, MysteriousBtrain said:

I'd be shocked if they altered the M101....

21 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I always got the sense that the MTA doesn't really want the M103 around, so I would find it very interesting if the MTA opted to increase the M103's importance in the network.... I'd say the view/opinion of a lot of 3rd/Lex riders is that the M103 is just another bus.... that (happens to) run down past Astor.....

As for 125th, I think they're going to propose something drastic for the M60 (not a complete discontinuation like they later rescinded for the Q53, but considering taking it away from serving as much of 125th)..... I think they want the main draws along 125th to be that M125 & the M101.....

21 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

That's exactly what I want to happen (assuming said M98 would still take the HRD)... Of course it won't though.... Lol....

21 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Wait, you think the M98 should swing over to Penn from 3rd/Lex? Or would you have an M98 doing something completely different than what it does now ?

As far as the M102 & the M103, all I'm going to say that is that I see (at least) one of those routes get completely axed.... Proposed 3rd/Lex service is one of the first things I'm going to be on the lookout for when they get around to doing (well, releasing) an initial draft of a Manhattan redesign....

21 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I'm loving all these M101 truncation scenarios (I'm not being sarcastic with that either)... Unfortunately, I see them keeping the M101 as is...

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The M101 is a very busy route, at least from where I use it, which is between 86th down to 8th St. Been a rider for years, albeit occasionally.

For a route that significantly serves 3 separate high-demand corridors (Amsterdam, 125th, 3rd/Lex), it better be a very busy route.

22 minutes ago, aemoreira81 said:

I could see another reconfiguration where the M125 and the M101 swap terminals. The M100 was covered in the Bronx redesign, but not the M101.

That would amount to pure hypocrisy to run the M125 to Ft. George, after severing the Bx15 away from Manhattan....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

For a route that significantly serves 3 separate high-demand corridors (Amsterdam, 125th, 3rd/Lex), it better be a very busy route.

The main reason people use it (myself included) is that it is limited stops. I only take it occasionally though. Pre-pandemic, for example, if I had a meeting for work close by, instead of getting an Uber, I would walk hop on a M101 instead. I get reimbursed just the same for my travel expenses, including going home, so more money stays in my pocket to do whatever with, even if I was using my pass. lol 

Then there are times when I use it to be frugal. If you can time it right, it is just like taking the subway (albeit local stops), plus no stairs and no backtracking, so I will put on BusTime to time it, say if I am taking the BxM1 and need to go South of 34th St. If one is coming, I'll take it, especially if it's going to be close to the same time it would be with Uber. Good during the cold months at times when people aren't riding it. During the warmer months, Uber (and now Revel) are quicker, better choices.

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

As far as the M102 & the M103, all I'm going to say that is that I see (at least) one of those routes get completely axed.... Proposed 3rd/Lex service is one of the first things I'm going to be on the lookout for when they get around to doing (well, releasing) an initial draft of a Manhattan redesign....

Would the 5/Madison routes be high on your list too?

2 hours ago, BwyKingsbridgeCar said:

New Flyer 709 on Bx21 crashed into the pillar after the driver apparently had a heart attack. At Boston Road and East Tremont, I guess the bus was northbound on the former B streetcar route to Morris Park Avenue.

You should look before posting....all of that was posted already in this same thread.

19 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Would the 5/Madison routes be high on your list too?

Nope, because there's more of an expectation on my end as to what'll end up happening with those routes.... There's not going to continue to be all those routes running well north of Central Park swinging from the more western side of it, to the east side.... That isn't to say that I'm indifferent to the potential changes to 5th/Madison, but I simply find what (could) happen with the 3rd/Lex routes more intriguing.... Hell, I'm more intrigued as to how they'll handle 6th/7th/8th avenues, over that of 5th/Madison....

53 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The Q32.....slow???

I have a hard time believing that.....

30 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Roosevelt can be a big choke point at times along with Queens Plaza area with the construction on the bridge..  Other than that the route isn't slow at all but average I say.

I read that in a sarcastic way. 

In any case, no more M42 huh. Those bus lanes must have die a major upgrade on them 😂

What I really want to see though, is the bus ridership stats for 2021. Would be interesting to see if any bus route actually lost ridership from 2020. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Bx3 unreliable?? That route is packed to the brim Literally the first stop in Washington Heights 

29 minutes ago, Railfanner Mario said:

Bx3 unreliable?? That route is packed to the brim Literally the first stop in Washington Heights 

Yeah, that's because the route is unreliable with long gaps in service! :lol: I totally agree with the article that the BX3 is unreliable. Every time I ride it its ethier long gaps in service or unscheduled short turns. Nice route to fan when it's running properly though.