BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The Q32.....slow???

I have a hard time believing that.....

Surprising to me as well, but not totally unbelievable. There is always traffic on the Queensboro, around 59th Street, and in Jackson Heights particularly between around 74 Street - 81 street you have double parked cars/trucks everywhere

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Q58 may be unreliable but because of its frequency, I never noticed it

Maybe S48 is slow because too many people on Forest Avenue are actually paying lol. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Calvin said:
16 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Surprising to me as well, but not totally unbelievable. There is always traffic on the Queensboro, around 59th Street, and in Jackson Heights particularly between around 74 Street - 81 street you have double parked cars/trucks everywhere

Q58 may be unreliable but because of its frequency, I never noticed it

I'm guessing the slowest is done by each boro. I can see the Q32 being the slowest in Queens but not top 5. 

As for the Q58 I recently had wait 40 minutes because of how poor the service was running. It doesn't help when I constantly see packed local Q58's bypassing stops followed by empty Limited buses seeing what's happening but not caring. The really need a dispatcher to be present at Flushing.

17 hours ago, Railfanner Mario said:

Bx3 unreliable?? That route is packed to the brim Literally the first stop in Washington Heights 

That bus is the most unreliable bus I’ve seen in the bronx. The gaps and inconsistencies are insane.

50 minutes ago, NBTA said:

That bus is the most unreliable bus I’ve seen in the bronx. The gaps and inconsistencies are insane.

Agreed. I can't even figure out how the hell there's always large gaps in between buses. The area in Manhattan and the bridge doesn't hold the bus long enough to be a problem, but the service is always inconsistent. Not to mention the amount of times buses are short-turned at Kingsbridge Road without warning, leaving no buses at the 238 terminal. I doubt its a lack of operators as this Bx3 BS has been going on long before the pandemic started.

1 minute ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Agreed. I can't even figure out how the hell there's always large gaps in between buses. The area in Manhattan and the bridge doesn't hold the bus long enough to be a problem, but the service is always inconsistent. Not to mention the amount of times buses are short-turned at Kingsbridge Road without warning, leaving no buses at the 238 terminal. I doubt its a lack of operators as this Bx3 BS has been going on long before the pandemic started.

That entire depot is a mess.  I see Bx7 and Bx10 buses always bunched together in my area. I can recall one Sunday morning seeing back-to-back Bx7 buses running up Riverdale Avenue and I said to myself, wow why are they bunched like this on a Sunday morning with no traffic?  Over the years I know a lot of people have complained and they even stationed a dispatcher by 231st and Broadway.  I don't use any of the lines, but do see them passing by when out and about or waiting for the express bus and I've noticed the same thing, at times when there is really no traffic to speak of.  Seems like a management issue.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That entire depot is a mess.  I see Bx7 and Bx10 buses always bunched together in my area. I can recall one Sunday morning seeing back-to-back Bx7 buses running up Riverdale Avenue and I said to myself, wow why are they bunched like this on a Sunday morning with no traffic?  Over the years I know a lot of people have complained and they even stationed a dispatcher by 231st and Broadway.  I don't use any of the lines, but do see them passing by when out and about or waiting for the express bus and I've noticed the same thing, at times when there is really no traffic to speak of.  Seems like a management issue.

That dispatch doesn’t really do much. KB has an issue with bunching big time. I remember checking a tracker the other day, on a Sunday, and saw about 8-11 Bx1s all in the same area heading down (of course, this was at Fordham), and none going up. The bunching sucks a lot on these lines.

58 minutes ago, NBTA said:

That dispatch doesn’t really do much. KB has an issue with bunching big time. I remember checking a tracker the other day, on a Sunday, and saw about 8-11 Bx1s all in the same area heading down (of course, this was at Fordham), and none going up. The bunching sucks a lot on these lines.

I'm sure they don't, but they send them out to show face. I haven't been happy with my service either, so I'm been writing my elected officials.  We had paving up here recently and every time it's a mess because the buses are stuck for sometimes 30 minutes trying to figure out how to navigate, as there is no set detour for planned work. Yesterday they sent out a dispatcher to my stop by W 239th St, which I was shocked to see, as I was dreading being stuck trying to get to the City. He was stopping each bus (local and express) and telling the drivers about the detour.

I think I want to join the Eagle Team...I see these guys sitting in their fan every evening on Main Street and Union Tpke, but they only actually get out of the van and check tickets when the weather is nice in Spring and Summer. I swear, there must be no oversight on these teams because 8 months of the year they just sit in their van and literally run out their shift. What an embarrassment. I think I've posted before about the time I saw some lady beating the cr*p out of her kid and screaming in the parking lot right there, and I went over the the Eagle Team guys figuring they are supposed to be former cops and would help in this emergency, but they told me to call NYPD and didn't want to get involved. 

Same on the M34, where the Eagle Team came on for the first time in months. And of course the supervisor had to waste time chit chatting with the B/O

10 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Mayor Adams attended a rally to speed up B41 service today! Nice to see my favorite bus route in NYC get love from the Mayor:)

That prospect park - church ave stretch is brutal in the afternoons. 

Knowing Adams, it's all for show and will have zero follow-up to make any changes. But it's okay because he has swagger...

10 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Mayor Adams attended a rally to speed up B41 service today! Nice to see my favorite bus route in NYC get love from the Mayor:)

That prospect park - church ave stretch is brutal in the afternoons. 

I can say with ease that this bus route needs some love.

I can also say with ease that I have zero confidence that Eric Adams will do anything beyond trying to have his face plastered in newspapers/on TV.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:30 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

Knowing Adams, it's all for show and will have zero follow-up to make any changes. But it's okay because he has swagger...

On 8/10/2022 at 11:37 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Eric Adams is all talk at this point.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:38 AM, Lex said:

I can say with ease that this bus route needs some love.

I can also say with ease that I have zero confidence that Eric Adams will do anything beyond trying to have his face plastered in newspapers/on TV.

yeah but he gets my commendation on the police commissioner choice because if he picked the one from philly it would have gotten bad very fast and you can say hi to 1990 again

Has anyone else noticed delays on a lot of bus routes skyrocketed since the 24/7 implementation of speed cameras and the lowering of the max speed?

I got on a M34, an op I know who used to operate on time and everything, and today he was slow, 20 MPH the entire way. I asked him what was up and he said ever since they implemented the new speed camera rules a lot of drivers don’t want to go 25 because the second they hit 30, the camera goes off and they get a ticket.

53 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Has anyone else noticed delays on a lot of bus routes skyrocketed since the 24/7 implementation of speed cameras and the lowering of the max speed?

I got on a M34, an op I know who used to operate on time and everything, and today he was slow, 20 MPH the entire way. I asked him what was up and he said ever since they implemented the new speed camera rules a lot of drivers don’t want to go 25 because the second they hit 30, the camera goes off and they get a ticket.

First off cameras go off if u hit over 35.. Speed limit is 25..  Honestly, I get the whole safety thing.  However, there has to be a way for the cameras not to trigger on buses who are essential to the these operators so that bus service can constantly flow. Faster service = less complaints on passengers.

10 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

First off cameras go off if u hit over 35.. Speed limit is 25..  Honestly, I get the whole safety thing.  However, there has to be a way for the cameras not to trigger on buses who are essential to the these operators so that bus service can constantly flow. Faster service = less complaints on passengers.

Nope they changed it, they go off at 30 now.

23 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Nope they changed it, they go off at 30 now.

The NYC site and Google says that you must go 10 mph over the speed limit to trigger the cameras. I believe that Chicago has the 6 mph  trigger but everyone else still has the 10 mph restriction. If the speed limit is 25 mph then 36 mph is the limit. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Research

On 8/8/2022 at 2:41 PM, Cait Sith said:

The Q32.....slow???

I have a hard time believing that.....

I have a hard time believing any attention is still being paid to anything the Straphangers Campaign is doing.... I mean, just the word "straphanger" reeks of antiquation...

Outside of pointing out the (supposed, [because I have questions about that too]) slowest & least unreliable (which is another thing, bunching & unreliability are two different issues, but yet they lump them together as if they're interchangeable or something) routes every year or whatever (and dubbing them with words that may have been cute, say, 40+ years ago), you don't hear much of anything about them.... February 2nd/Groundhog day type isht.....

We (myself included) can say what we will about (the motives of) these more recent advocacy groups, but at the very least, they're doing a far better job at gearing/aiming their message{s} at anyone that isn't old enough to...., well....

.....have ever called their fellow commuters/riders, straphangers.

Edited by B35 via Church

I heard a couple of Articulated buses at both Quill and Flatbush are out to the vendor, possibly another for maintenance. 

Hence, 4744 (from the B1) and 4761 (from the B38) that are at Flatbush Depot and 5911, 5878 both from 100 St that are at Quill, for now.