BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Well if you mean from last pick which was from September to January, then yes. But right now I don't know who does the run.

The best thing I like is that it's a Castleton run so you may catch a Nova, Third Gen or Xcelsior on that run.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you mean from last pick which was from September to January, then yes. But right now I don't know who does the run.

The best thing I like is that it's a Castleton run so you may catch a Nova, Third Gen or Xcelsior on that run.

I've seen that tripper on the S62 before. Most of the time, it's usually an Orion 5.

They don't dock you if you get stuck on the line and pull out late, do they?

Pull out late? The fuel line is the ops pulling into the depot but waiting on line as the shifters move each bus through the fuel stations. Sometimes, at night, the line gets extremely backed up. We don't get docked; we get paid every minute we wait. I was on it for 41 minutes tonight.

I know most drivers would tell ppl to get off and take the KP B41 at 45th, when the ppl panics seeing the bus make a left to Av N, but what about telling ppl to get off at Utica for the B46? I hardly hear any driver tell ppl about that option.

Cool, I love 9644. I hope that bus is preserved for the museum. I wonder if there are any buses like that?

Yeah, usually when folks panic, I just tell them not to worry and get off at Utica Avenue for the B46. You're likely to catch a B46 as soon as I cross the light, rather than wait for a KP bus to arrive. During rush hours, on the B41, most of the southbound service is serving Bergen Beach rather than KP.

I think 9649 can match 9644 for the most part.

Nah I was thinking for if an op had a second run that started an hour or so after the first one ended and s/he just had to sit there, if they dock you for making that second pullout late. Didn't happen here though. Still 41 minutes, that just sounds like a pain.

I see what you're saying. And no, you're not docked, but if you happen to blow your entire swing (lunch) during that fuel line, then you're entitled to get paid your swing, in full, and 20 minutes from the time you speak with the Yard SLD for a meal. They sign your deviation paper (late slip) and tell you "see me at such & such time". No way to get in trouble.

Pull out late? The fuel line is the ops pulling into the depot but waiting on line as the shifters move each bus through the fuel stations. Sometimes, at night, the line gets extremely backed up. We don't get docked; we get paid every minute we wait. I was on it for 41 minutes tonight.

Ouch.

LOL at your signature!

Then it was probably her.

And like I said, I'm not good with bus types, but it was either a 3G or an XCelsior.

I've seen that tripper on the S62 before. Most of the time, it's usually an Orion 5.

I haven't been around there during dismissal time in a while (I usually stay after school, and when I do come home around that time, I don't pass by there since I live further north), but I did notice that the bus was usually an O5. I think the S59s were O5s as well (or maybe 1 O5 and 1 O7).

Spent the day in Queens with some people...even caught Orion 5 666 doing the (7) Shuttle at Queens Plaza. For the most part we went all over. Today went extremely well.

On non bus-related news, today marked the first time I took the (M) since the cuts in June 2010.

Wow, he mentioned something not bus-related here. By those standards, half the posters in this thread should have been reprimanded.

Lol tell me about it. One OT post compared to what everyone else posts that is OT, really?

Spent the day in Queens with some people...even caught Orion 5 666 doing the (7) Shuttle at Queens Plaza. For the most part we went all over. Today went extremely well.

On non bus-related news, today marked the first time I took the (M) since the cuts in June 2010.

The bus of the devil. :P

In any case, I've rode the (M) in the different sections (along Queens Blvd and along Broadway/Myrtle Avenue), but I have yet to actually ride it through the Chrystie Street Connection

just came from Queens myself....

rode the Q44 from jamaica to flushing.... during the ride, I was wondering which of the two routes (Q17, Q44) has the higher propensity to carry riders from jamaica to flushing.... I always tend to take the 44 over the 17.... even though the routing b/w the 2 points is longer, it (the 44) feels like the quicker ride (17 LTD, inclusive)....

stopped at popeyes & in the process, a b/o was waitin for his food..... funny thing was, it was the same operator of the Q50 I boarded.... young middle eastern guy.... anyway, I took the 50 to co-op.... tried to catch the bx38, but after 15 mins.... nothing, so I just hopped on the bx30 and took that to the D....

along the ride on the bx30, we get to gun hill/white plains road.... a SWARM of ppl. waiting for the Bx41.... that bus left crushloaded (for those that don't know, the 41 is an artic. route)....

(seems like more ppl. are waiting at that stop now, than there ever was, when the 39 terminated there)

speaking of which, a NB bx39 passed in the process.... there was literally NOBODY on that bus !

I was not expecting that at all....

Just wondering, what the hell is Edgewater Depot? I was looking at the former bus depot logos on ttmg and I was Edgewater Bus depot. I googed it and can't find any info on it. Anyone have any clue where it is/was??

You might be able to get some info here.

The other day I had just came out of school, and while walking to the Q60, BOTH an RTS & Orion V came. I then ran, but missed both of them. I was PISSED!! :mad:. (and no my camera decided to be slow at that time and I couldn't get a pic).

I then waited 30 minutes for the next bus to come and what was it but a crowded and late Hybrid Orion VII next gen. Damn I hate those cheap plastic things!

btw, what is that sound called when the Orion V CNG stops accelerating? that kind of backfire sound, like what 9967 had?

Just wondering, what the hell is Edgewater Depot? I was looking at the former bus depot logos on ttmg and I was Edgewater Bus depot. I googed it and can't find any info on it. Anyone have any clue where it is/was??

ThrexxBus has a good link, check that out.

Just for some more info, the basic history is that in 1977 the TA took on Pier 20 and Pier 21 in Staten Island. It only took a year for Pier 20 to burn down in a fire. It took five years to reopen the depot, but by 1983 Edgewater was making pullouts again. That only lasted two years until two buses fell into the water and the TA designated the whole thing as "structurally unsafe" and shut it down for good in 1985. Yukon (opened in 1981) took on most of the fleet Edgewater had been running.

what is that sound called when the Orion V CNG stops accelerating? that kind of backfire sound, like what 9967 had?

That "ch-ch-ch" noise? That's the blow off valve releasing.

To this day I never understood the purpose of the Q36 LTD If its only making about 4 or 5 actual limited stops...could've extended the limiteds to include stops on Jamaica Av instead of just Hillside

I don't think the local runs when the limited operates, so you'd be leaving the local passengers along Jamaica Avenue with no service at all.

On a side note, when I tried to transfer to the S96 this morning, it flagged me (it was an Orion V, with a couple of people in the back), but a couple of minutes later, an S46 (also Orion V) came, and it actually had some seats left. It had a seated load, when normally there are a lot of standees at that time.