BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now I've officially taken every SI route that currently exists (local & limited) . Finally took the S81 today.

If anybody's interested, I took the S40-S81-S79-S89 (I walked from Macy's to Richmond Hill Road).

I still have yet to ride the limiteds except the S93...still didnt ride S40 S42 S44 S46 S51 S54 s55 s56 s57 s59 s61 s74 s76...smh...

So now I've officially taken every SI route that currently exists (local & limited) . Finally took the S81 today.

If anybody's interested, I took the S40-S81-S79-S89 (I walked from Macy's to Richmond Hill Road).

Damn, I dont even live on the island and I've done that already! :P

I still have yet to ride the limiteds except the S93...still didnt ride S40 S42 S44 S46 S51 S54 s55 s56 s57 s59 s61 s74 s76...smh...

Wait, what do you mean? :wacko: I thought you rode the all the S4X routes except the S42. I mean, you're familiar with the North Shore and were able to get some of the pictures I've taken.

In any case, I usually do it after school when I have the time. You said you go to school in Brooklyn, right? Well, you could take the S53 to the S51, cross that off, then take the S42 to the last stop, and then walk down the hill and transfer to the S52 to go back home. Then when you have more time (say, on a Friday or something), you can go out further and do the South Shore routes. Or say, take the S79 to the SI Mall, take the S59 to Port Richmond, and then take the S53 back, or if you catch the S89, take that to Victory, and then you have a few different choices on how to get home, with the S62, or walk to the S93 or whatever. (Of course, you have to look for days when you get out of school early or whatever).

And just keep your eyes open for opportunities to fan, when you're passing through certain areas. If you're in say New Dorp, instead of taking the S78/79 directly home, you could take the S57 to the S53, or if you're in St. George, well obviously you have a whole bunch of routes to choose from.

Damn, I dont even live on the island and I've done that already! :P

LOL. Did you do the S60 & S67 while they were around?

I wish I were into fanning before this, because then it would've occurred to me to take those routes while they were still around. I mean, I knew the S60 was empty, but with the S67, it would've been interesting to see the ridership patterns on that route. (And the silly thing is that it wasn't even that far from me, so it would've probably been one of the easiest routes to fan, out of the ones I don't already use regularly). Ah, well. Hopefully if my plan goes through, they'll bring it back, and I'll have a chance to ride it.

Nothing, but you can eliminate the overlaps and improve efficiencies if everything was unified and bus lines were located closer to certain depots than to deadhead to their current ones because one is NYCT or MTAB.

True, but I have a feeling that some (not everyone) just bring up the topic so that their fantasy can be come reality. In perspective, there is nothing wrong with that until they start complaining there is no variety...

But, yes, I do understand most of the beneifits of a unified (MTA).

Edited by Turbo19

Nothing, but you can eliminate the overlaps and improve efficiencies if everything was unified and bus lines were located closer to certain depots than to deadhead to their current ones because one is NYCT or MTAB.

Only way you'll see that for a good while is at the Eastchester storage lot with non-active buses. They even held buses pending scrap from LIB at one point.

Although during Sandy active buses from Eastchester were stored at Gun Hill for a few days, or so I heard...

Gas Main Rupture:

http://articles.nyda...on-mta-fireball

I always thought it was because they were decommissioning the CNG facility and it was during that when the explosion happened. But yeah it was a shame it was closed as it would have made swaps with CP much more simpler. Edited by Grand Concourse