BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scrapped?! Holy crap. Dropped off a service lift or something?

Nah it had nothing to do within the depot. It was over the road but it's pending now but it's badly damaged I saw it before they took it out. It's been gone for about 1-2 weeks now completely removed off the property.

UP is treating those Prevosts like crap.... Apparently their bus washers must be "broken" because those Prevosts like awfully dirty... <_<

Well I have to admit they are going down slowly.. The shades inside the bus for the drivers those are being broken one by one. As far as the dirt, the brushes don't grab into the back it just does the sides and that's it.

Well 4899 will be spending the weekend - next week at the vendor: it was towed out this morning to the vendor thanks to the engine crapping out Tuesday..

Well I have to admit they are going down slowly.. The shades inside the bus for the drivers those are being broken one by one. As far as the dirt, the brushes don't grab into the back it just does the sides and that's it.

Well 4899 will be spending the weekend - next week at the vendor: it was towed out this morning to the vendor thanks to the engine crapping out Tuesday..

lol... Yep you have to because those buses haven't been sent to any other depot.  Those are all UP buses... It's funny because the back of buses from other depots look pretty clean...

And as for 4899, well I guess that new design in the back isn't working out so well...

Nah it had nothing to do within the depot. It was over the road but it's pending now but it's badly damaged I saw it before they took it out. It's been gone for about 1-2 weeks now completely removed off the property.

Prevost's and MCI's don't suffer from the same weaknesses as low floor busses. Unless it was t-boned or front hit to the point the the chassis rails were bent, it's not gonna get scrapped.

Prevost's and MCI's don't suffer from the same weaknesses as low floor busses. Unless it was t-boned or front hit to the point the the chassis rails were bent, it's not gonna get scrapped.

Driver tried fitting it through the park avenue tunnel and banged it up, the right side is ripped & the top is damaged bad. The frame on the right side is done for, as I heard.

Well due to a bad accident 2489 is no longer on the property at U.P. might get scrapped, spoke to somebody myself. Not involving a car or anything though... Bushasn't been in service for 13 days.

Driver tried fitting it through the park avenue tunnel and banged it up, the right side is ripped & the top is damaged bad. The frame on the right side is done for, as I heard.

oh no... they just got these buses, and don't they have a warranty on them?

I ran like hell for the S46 this afternoon, and then by the time we reach my home stop, there's another bus behind it. I ran for no reason and probably missed a good ride (because my B/O was basically driving normally). I think the (early) B/O might've been in a hurry to get to a bathroom or something, because I saw her shut off the bus and run into a gas station at my home stop. (It was towards the end of the line, so there was nobody on her bus)

oh no... they just got these buses, and don't they have a warranty on them?

warranty doesn't cover accidental cosmetic damage, unless it was caused by some kind of factory defect. Don't worry, the guys that do accident repair at grand ave are the best in the system. I've watched them bring back horrific accidents, to looking almost brand new.

Awful situation in Broad Channel earlier. Major accident on Cross Bay, apparently shut it down going south. so Q52/53 buses were unable to get to the Rockaways. FR Depot was able to pull out a FEW buses onto the 52 from Arverne, but not many, so basically all the runs that actually went out from Arverne were 100% crushloaded, not to mention they probably got stuck big time in Broad Channel. 1 run had 2 buses sent out at once, of course the second one was empty but I didn't take either since I wasn't in the mood for dealing with that traffic. The last one I saw was a '96 RTS, but I still didn't take it to avoid the traffic. Took the (H) to Beach 90th to check out the traffic and the situation with the Q53 before going to the Q35, no cars were coming off the bridge and no 52/53s were in sight, wasn't too much traffic going towards Broad Channel but I didn't want to find out what was going on up there. A dispatcher drove past every stop (in his personal car too) telling people the 52 and 53 were not running, he said 5 people were killed in that accident on Cross Bay. So, I took the 35, and I got 163! Worked out well in the end, even if I did get back to Manhattan this late...

Still was a mess.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Word has it that 8000, 8018 and 8051 have had their signs changed to Luminator Titans, any confirmation on that?

It could be the reprogramming. I noticed it on some units. Check it on the q46. They still change as fast as the Axions but have the same font as the Titans.

1. My friends took M15 SBS for first time and they were amazed by the "new system" a.k.a POP 

2. That M15 driver forgot what the next stop was. He said at 23 st "the next stop is.......umm.....ummm....ummmmm....This is embarrassing" 

And that's why MTA needs automated announcements already...

Finally got a chance to ride the new XD60 (for more than a couple of stops) on the local Bx12. What got my eye is the rear door mechanism is a more conventional (for NYCT) system that's more like the later Orion VII NG's and the glass(?) emergency exit hatches on the roof.

About the earlier incident on Cross Bay Blvd...

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — It was a tough commute home Friday night in parts of Queens.

Commuters were stuck trying to get over the Cross Bay Bridge, which was still shut down as of 10:45 p.m. Friday due to a horrific multi-car crash earlier in the evening.

One car was ripped in half by the powerful impact of the accident on Cross Bay Boulevard. It happened during the evening commute. Witnesses told CBS 2’s Hazel Sanchez a white car was speeding northbound on the roadway when the driver lost control, jumped the median and then smashed head on into two southbound cars.

“People are always flying through here. The speed limit is 30.  They’re going 70 mph like it’s nothing,” said Tom Minami of Broad Channel.

At least 10 people were injured, first responders told CBS 2. Emergency Medical Services officials said two were listed in critical condition, three were in serious condition, and five were stable at area hospitals.

Police were still investigating the cause of the accident. Cross Bay Boulevard was to remain shut down in both directions for an indefinite period of time, officials said. Drivers headed towards the Rockaways were advised to take an alternate route

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/10/serious-injuries-reported-in-three-car-wreck-on-cross-bay-boulevard-in-queens/

Glad the dispatcher was wrong about 5 people dead.

Word has it that 8000, 8018 and 8051 have had their signs changed to Luminator Titans, any confirmation on that?

Damn, I actually liked the signs on the LFS. It fit the model nicely.

And that's why MTA needs automated announcements already...

Though shouldn't the operator have a list of stops to begin with?

hmm 

They still have AXion Controllers/ODKs, it's prolly just the new program. I'll check though

Ugh..... Nothing irks me more than a B/O that keeps the damn lights off when you're trying to get on or off of the bus... Happened tonight when I made a quick run on the BxM2 and of course I had the same driver coming and going... Then he asks if anyone was getting off when I requested the stop because he didn't see anyone get up right away.  I mean really, if he had the damn lights on people wouldn't have to feel their way to get off of the bus... Coming back he had the lights on but then during the drop-off segment, he turns them off again... Unbelievable....  Pitch black outside, pitch black on the bus... I guess I'm supposed to bring a flash light with me just to get on and off of the bus....  <_<