BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Um, that is not true. The express buses and local buses can't even pass each other along the Henry Hudson Parkway service roads because there is not enough room.  The other issue is space at the bus stops.  They are already tight with three express buses, Hudson Rail Link buses and two or three local buses serving the same bus stops.  In fact the roads are so narrow that the other day while walking near the Henry Hudson Parkway, there was some sort of issue where two local buses were pulled over, which in turn backed up traffic all along the Henry Hudson Parkway service road.  There were two express buses there (BxM1 and a BxM2), a Hudson Rail link bus, and then all of the traffic that could not pass. It must've took at least 30 minutes for that to be cleared up because I saw the same buses on Bus Time that were just making it down the hill as I was at home tracking my express bus to head back to the city.

Yet you don't want to give up you precious MCI's. How ironic.

Considering the suggestion made was for the trippers specifically to be operated with artics there shouldn't be much trouble as I would assume regular trips would continued to be operated with 40 foot buses.

You know the area better than I do, so you do have a point. My opinion though, if passengers of the area of of such great amount I'm sure Kingsbridge would get artics up in Riverdale somehow, just as Yonkers can get coaches through there as well.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet you don't want to give up you precious MCI's. How ironic.

Considering the suggestion made was for the trippers specifically to be operated with artics there shouldn't be much trouble as I would assume regular trips would continued to be operated with 40 foot buses.

You know the area better than I do, so you do have a point. My opinion though, if passengers of the area of of such great amount I'm sure Kingsbridge would get artics up in Riverdale somehow, just as Yonkers can get coaches through there as well.

MCI's are not that much longer than the local buses... Artics however would have some problems. The express and local buses can barely make turns off of Independence Avenue and onto Kappock.  An artic would have some difficulty with that turn alone, along with a few other tight turns...

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45960087,d.dmg&biw=1241&bih=590&q=Kappock+St+and+Independence+Avenue,+Riverdale,+NY&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c2f3e96919a453:0x8fc619ff0fc7b8cd,Kappock+St+%26+Independence+Ave,+Bronx,+NY+10463&gl=us&sa=X&ei=vZmFUf-CJZHC4APm9IHABA&ved=0CC0Q8gEwAA

Imagine an artic trying to make that turn with that ambulance there...  <_<

Another spot I can think of is where Henry Hudson Parkway East starts... Very tight and narrow there...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well as with most intersections any bus would most likely have to petrude a bit into the other lane to clear the turn. Like I said, you know the area better and won't argue with your reasons stated, but I still think artics are capable of operating the routes in Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil.

At the end though, it is likely up to KB as to which equipment to operate, and with good reason that's likely why artics aren't being used there now.

Well as with most intersections any bus would most likely have to petrude a bit into the other lane to clear the turn. Like I said, you know the area better and won't argue with your reasons stated, but I still think artics are capable of operating the routes in Riverdale/Spuyten Duyvil.

At the end though, it is likely up to KB as to which equipment to operate, and with good reason that's likely why artics aren't being used there now.

lol... On the one hand you say I know the area better, but on the other hand you still firmly believe that artics can run on the Bx10 despite the tight turns and narrow streets in several areas that the local and express buses can barely make...

Then there are the NIMBY's.... We don't want any bigger buses running through our neighborhood creating more pollution if they don't need them.

lol... On the one hand you say I know the area better, but on the other hand you still firmly believe that artics can run on the Bx10 despite the tight turns and narrow streets in several areas that the local and express buses can barely make...

Yeah, I love being a annoying douchebag like that. :D

But yes, I still believe artics can operate in the area, just as I am sure a few operators that believe the same and would perhaps be willing to take one on their run.

As I said it's up to KB, and surely they've made it clear as to what's to be operated on the route.

Yeah, I love being a annoying douchebag like that. :D

But yes, I still believe artics can operate in the area, just as I am sure a few operators that believe the same and would perhaps be willing to take one on their run.

As I said it's up to KB, and surely they've made it clear as to what's to be operated on the route.

Based on what evidence though? I wish youngblaze was around here because he does the Bx10 and he could attest to how tight the turns are in parts of Spuyten Duyvil with just a 40 footer, let alone an artic.

Based on what evidence though? I wish youngblaze was around here because he does the Bx10 and he could attest to how tight the turns are in parts of Spuyten Duyvil with just a 40 footer, let alone an artic.

Well according to madd people on this forum...everyone says "Artics can make the same turns as 40ft buses"

And i believe them because they drive the buses...

the artics have a 35ft front tractor...as for 40ft buses its 40ft turning...and if an MCI can turn on this street that yall are talking about..which is 45ft...then well just act like an artic is 2 35ft buses turning...

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Well according to madd people on this forum...everyone says "Artics can make the same turns as 40ft buses"

the artics have a 35ft front tractor...as for 40ft buses its 40ft turning...and if an MCI can turn on this street that yall are talking about..which is 45ft...then well just act like an artic is 2 35ft buses turning...

The MCI's can barely make that turn onto Kappock and often times have to back up to do so...  Then there's the issue of having enough room in the bus stops for those artics, which is another issue.  

Um, that is not true. The express buses and local buses can't even pass each other along the Henry Hudson Parkway service roads because there is not enough room.  The other issue is space at the bus stops.  They are already tight with three express buses, Hudson Rail Link buses and two or three local buses serving the same bus stops.  In fact the roads are so narrow that the other night while walking home near the Henry Hudson Parkway, there was some sort of issue where two local buses were pulled over, which in turn backed up traffic all along the Henry Hudson Parkway service road.  There were two express buses there (BxM1 and a BxM2), a Hudson Rail link bus, and then all of the traffic that could not pass. It must've took at least 30 minutes for that to be cleared up because I saw the same buses on Bus Time that were just making it down the hill as I was at home tracking my express bus to head back to the city.

I don't know how familiar you are with Riverdale, but the section that is up in the hills do not have street grids which means that the roads meander about and have no sort of pattern.  The area fought hard for any sort of redevelopment of this part of Riverdale and succeeded due to its wealth and political power, so while the small narrow streets are charming they are not good for lots of traffic and large vehicles, particularly along the Henry Hudson Parkway, which is what the Bx10 primarily serves.  Now Riverdale Avenue could have artics because it's wide enough so the Bx7 could probably get them.  For the most part, after 20:00 traffic is generally very light along the parkway and even during most of the day as the buses are generally spread out to now show up all at once but still.  If a UPS truck or garbage truck or USPS truck is parked anywhere and they don't park partially on the sidewalk, we are stuck there until they move.  <_<

The Artic then doesnt need to go the full route. or it can do a "two-in-one" (bascially runs along it's current route until a certain point, the follows some bus route to a different area and terminate there, or follows a different route, usually a much more simpler path for scheduling, traffic, or ridership reasons), which in this case would be either a Bx7 to Norwood or a Bx10 to Riverdale via Riverdale Avenue. Or it can just terminate at the (1) train.

Simply on belief, as stated in that sentence. No need to continue debating...

The MCI's can barely make that turn onto Kappock and often times have to back up to do so...  Then there's the issue of having enough room in the bus stops for those artics, which is another issue.  

At the same time, MCIs don't bend like artics do. MCIs have more trouble getting into tight spots than artics do. But that second part is a problem and that was clearly seen on the Q10 route as that artic was testing. I was surprised that the bus turned from Kew Gardens Road to 80th Road to Austin Place much easier than expected as those two turns are annoying.

Edited by Cait Sith

I know the turn between Kpop and Johnson.. it is a tight turn but I hope the MTA decides to test it out... I've personally taken the Bx10 during school hours (I used to go to Bronx Science and I still know the neighborhood fairly well) and I would see three Bx10 buses, bunched together, completely filled to capacity. In the morning one day I saw a XD60 on the BX26 at the Bedford Park station filled to capacity with students...

I think a few Arctics on the Bx10 would definitely relieve crowding and alleviate some delays.. believe it or not the back door has trouble closing because it senses people too close to the door.. however those people can't move inwards because of the enormous mob of students. The area has three large schools around it (Lehman College, Bronx Science (3000+ students) along with DeWitt Clinton (4000+)) and students from all three schools take the Bx10...

Le tme apologize in advance that I am not sure where to post my question/request.

I used to be on here under a different name a couple of years back and back then someone made those LED destination signs.  Does anyone know who can make a sign for me?  I want it to say 2013 Knicks Championship Express

Le tme apologize in advance that I am not sure where to post my question/request.

I used to be on here under a different name a couple of years back and back then someone made those LED destination signs.  Does anyone know who can make a sign for me?  I want it to say 2013 Knicks Championship Express

Click this link to check out the LED destination threads and the creators who make them, you can request for one here!

At the same time, MCIs don't bend like artics do. MCIs have more trouble getting into tight spots than artics do. But that second part is a problem and that was clearly seen on the Q10 route as that artic was testing. I was surprised that the bus turned from Kew Gardens Road to 80th Road to Austin Place much easier than expected as those two turns are annoying.

The Kappock Street area is rather iffy (technically doable, but still tight) for standard sized buses.

And the Bx3 doesnt do a 180-degree turn onto Sedgwick like what happens up in Riverdale:

An artic can make that easy. Does no one remember the Bx9 turn around?

Yeah the thing is though those two videos don't show the numerous ambulances that tend to park right there where the bus has to turn off of Independence and onto Kappock taking up at least half of that lane for the bus to turn into in addition to the cars coming... The other issue is space in the bus stops.  There are several stops that come to mind that artics would create huge headaches for.  Kappock & Knolls Crescent comes to mind, Independence & Kappock and several other stops along the Henry Hudson Parkway Service Roads (East & West).  The folks in those co-ops would be pissed because their entrances would be blocked up and tied up by buses clogging up traffic in what is already a tight space.  I don't think I would support artics unless they stayed on Riverdale Avenue taking the Bx7 routing into the Henry Hudson Parkway.  From 239th on is fine but along HHP below that, there are too many tight turns and very narrow streets.  

As I said earlier just last week, two local buses blocked up Henry Hudson Parkway West (service road) which in turn blocked all of the traffic for at least 30 minutes until those buses could move.  There were two express buses there that were trapped, a Hudson Rail Link Bus and all of the other traffic behind that. The area just isn't made for tons of traffic nor really big vehicles.

A simple solution is to add more short turn Bx10's and have a dispatcher on the line to ensure that bus STAY ON TIME!  There are wayyy too many Bx10's that bunch terribly, much like the Bx7.  You can see three Bx7's in a row and two or three Bx10's running bunched.  That's the real issue.

Oy, must we go through this again...

An artic can travel along any street and make any turn a standard bus can do (the D60 being able to turn better than the LFSA since its a 35' tractor compared to about 40' on the LFSA). The only problem it would have is inside bus stops if they arent long enkugh. An MCI/Prevost would have the hardest difficulty making a turn but thats what the tag axle is for...

Every single bus in the city is 102" wide. Add or subtract an inch or 2 depending on the mirrors on the model.

Oy, must we go through this again...

An artic can travel along any street and make any turn a standard bus can do (the D60 being able to turn better than the LFSA since its a 35' tractor compared to about 40' on the LFSA). The only problem it would have is inside bus stops if they arent long enkugh. An MCI/Prevost would have the hardest difficulty making a turn but thats what the tag axle is for...

Every single bus in the city is 102" wide. Add or subtract an inch or 2 depending on the mirrors on the model.

Did I not just say that!??! Please read carefully...smh...

Meaning what? I dont mind artics, but the b41 north of the Junction is just terrible for traffic and the buses tends to bunch. You throw in artics only for that line and the problem is much worse. B46 has a pretty high fare beating rate and adding another set of doors to enter is just asking for more lost revenue. Unless the mta is serious on boosting the eagle team numbers to crack down on other, non sbs routes, then fine, but till then, i'd say leave the artics for just the b44sbs, whenever that starts up.

Meaning what? I dont mind artics, but the b41 north of the Junction is just terrible for traffic and the buses tends to bunch. You throw in artics only for that line and the problem is much worse. B46 has a pretty high fare beating rate and adding another set of doors to enter is just asking for more lost revenue. Unless the mta is serious on boosting the eagle team numbers to crack down on other, non sbs routes, then fine, but till then, i'd say leave the artics for just the b44sbs, whenever that starts up.

It would be especially bad when only one limited shows up and there's a mob of people at the stop unless the driver doesn't open up the rear doors.

Edited by Jdog14