BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Is an SBS B/O driving 10-15 on a 35mph road worth reporting? I know the story about sticking to schedules and timepoints but the SBS routes are supposedly more lenient on buses running hot, or so I have heard.

Nah, that's not worth reporting IMO.

Also, the Bus could have had transmission problems...

I have ridden buses on two separate occasions where could not go any faster than 10 - 15 MPH cause the transmission was messed up.

I remember it was 8800 RTS on the B49, bus was red lining on Ocean Ave, which sounded awesome but.. bus had an issue.

The other was an Orion VII CNG on the B8, it was really noticeable on that long road it travels on right before it gets to the VA hospital.

Edited by trainfan22

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coney Island, Sea Gate, its more or less the same area over there

Q72 LTD sign when such a service doesn't exist... B82 LTD sign where it's not supposed to be....

DOT needs to get on the ball here.... Makes you wonder how many more incorrect bus stop signs there are in this city....

One of the kickers IMO is in The Bronx, at Pelham Parkway & Boston Road....there's a Bee-Line 60 bus stop sign at the Bx22 stop....where it doesn't even stop at all... The sign is at the right of Pelham Parkway and Boston Road when the 60 makes a LEFT off of Pelham Parkway to Boston Road....

I got caught off with it once, and I was agitated as all hell...

Edited by Cait Sith

What else is new.... But don't even dare think about suggesting that their student passes be taken away... After all they're all students, so they're entitled to free rides... <_<

Yeah but the driver doesn't have to let them on technically they're supposed to dip their cards in. The way I see it ill follow the rules, no card no ride. Simple. You will get some nice ones that'll let them on, if its about 2 kids the max then yeah maybe but if its 3- more then hell no. Even though their cards are free rides but still.

Yeah but the driver doesn't have to let them on technically they're supposed to dip their cards in. The way I see it ill follow the rules, no card no ride. Simple. You will get some nice ones that'll let them on, if its about 2 kids the max then yeah maybe but if its 3- more then hell no. Even though their cards are free rides but still.

lol... I see you didn't get my sarcasm...  :lol:

So today I was on the B103. The driver had his A/C off and when he came to Rockaway Parkway and Ave M (I think) a dude opened up the rear emergency hatch. The driver asked "who just opened up that hatch". The dude said "I did 'cause you didn't turn on the A/C". The driver asked him to close the hatch but the passenger refused and said "You close it". After a few seconds the driver said "I close it?". The driver reported the passenger and the bus was held for maybe 10 minutes. Meanwhile the passenger is starring down the driver. The driver opens up the partition (its bus 519) and makes everyone get off the bus. An Orion V CNG came (9846) and the driver made everyone get back on the bus, and we drove off.

LOL... I don't know why drivers do that. They're driving around all day on a nice cool bus.  Passengers getting on usually have been walking or something and are hot and aside from that the air on the buses can get pretty nasty with no circulation going around.   The (MTA) keeps ordering buses with windows that are a PITA to open so that doesn't leave many options.  I've been on express buses on Staten Island where the B/O's get an attitude if you ask for the air to be turned on which I think is insane.  There's no windows to open on those buses unlike the local buses, so circulation is important.  If air flow is a problem and the B/O refused to turn on the air I would just get off and take the next bus.  I've been on older MCI's that just reeked of cigarette smoke and I asked the B/O about it because it was ridiculous and apparently after chatting with him, the damn cigarette smoke was all in the HVAC, so I told him to let me off an 14th street and I waited for another X10.   The rule should be that some sort of air should be on at all times this way there's fresh air circulating. I was on one local bus that I almost passed out on years ago when I was a teenager because it just became too hot and it was crowded.  Luckily I was able to get off on my own get something to drink and get myself cooled down, but having no air on the bus is nothing to play around with.  

Q72 LTD sign when such a service doesn't exist... B82 LTD sign where it's not supposed to be....

DOT needs to get on the ball here.... Makes you wonder how many more incorrect bus stop signs there are in this city....

there is still a B64 to Bay Ridge sign at the B16 stop at 86 Street and 4 Avenue going to Bay Ridge ...

there is still a B64 to Bay Ridge sign at the B16 stop at 86 Street and 4 Avenue going to Bay Ridge ...

This is true, I noticed it when I took the B1 up there in late March, I thought for a second, why would the B64 stop here going to Shore Road and 71st and then I realized how old it was, I wonder if anybody still waits there thinking the B64 will show, probably not though.

lol... I see you didn't get my sarcasm...  :lol:

LOL... I don't know why drivers do that. They're driving around all day on a nice cool bus.  Passengers getting on usually have been walking or something and are hot and aside from that the air on the buses can get pretty nasty with no circulation going around.   The (MTA) keeps ordering buses with windows that are a PITA to open so that doesn't leave many options.  I've been on express buses on Staten Island where the B/O's get an attitude if you ask for the air to be turned on which I think is insane.  There's no windows to open on those buses unlike the local buses, so circulation is important.  If air flow is a problem and the B/O refused to turn on the air I would just get off and take the next bus.  I've been on older MCI's that just reeked of cigarette smoke and I asked the B/O about it because it was ridiculous and apparently after chatting with him, the damn cigarette smoke was all in the HVAC, so I told him to let me off an 14th street and I waited for another X10.   The rule should be that some sort of air should be on at all times this way there's fresh air circulating. I was on one local bus that I almost passed out on years ago when I was a teenager because it just became too hot and it was crowded.  Luckily I was able to get off on my own get something to drink and get myself cooled down, but having no air on the bus is nothing to play around with.  

I have to agree. As a passenger you have every right to a comfortable ride. If it's hotter than hell and the operator doesn't want to put the air on (or I just prefer to) I'll go ahead and open up the windows and/or vents to cool down.

One thing that peeves me though is the people that aren't mindful and forget to close the windows, or those that have the windows open with the HVAC on. As a result many transit agencies are choosing to bolt their windows shut now, whch to say it sucks would be an understatement.

Another peeve are people that want the air on when it's just above below freezing, but I digress.

lol... I see you didn't get my sarcasm... :lol:

LOL... I don't know why drivers do that. They're driving around all day on a nice cool bus. Passengers getting on usually have been walking or something and are hot and aside from that the air on the buses can get pretty nasty with no circulation going around. The (MTA) keeps ordering buses with windows that are a PITA to open so that doesn't leave many options. I've been on express buses on Staten Island where the B/O's get an attitude if you ask for the air to be turned on which I think is insane. There's no windows to open on those buses unlike the local buses, so circulation is important. If air flow is a problem and the B/O refused to turn on the air I would just get off and take the next bus. I've been on older MCI's that just reeked of cigarette smoke and I asked the B/O about it because it was ridiculous and apparently after chatting with him, the damn cigarette smoke was all in the HVAC, so I told him to let me off an 14th street and I waited for another X10. The rule should be that some sort of air should be on at all times this way there's fresh air circulating. I was on one local bus that I almost passed out on years ago when I was a teenager because it just became too hot and it was crowded. Luckily I was able to get off on my own get something to drink and get myself cooled down, but having no air on the bus is nothing to play around with.

there is suppose to be some kind of circulation going on at all times because the climate control switch is suppose to be in the on position at all times. A bus is not suppose to be in service if the climate control does not work properly...

there is suppose to be some kind of circulation going on at all times because the climate control switch is suppose to be in the on position at all times. A bus is not suppose to be in service if the climate control does not work properly...

As it would seem however, what happens and what is supposed to happen are two different things entirely.

I have to agree. As a passenger you have every right to a comfortable ride. If it's hotter than hell and the operator doesn't want to put the air on (or I just prefer to) I'll go ahead and open up the windows and/or vents to cool down.

One thing that peeves me though is the people that aren't mindful and forget to close the windows, or those that have the windows open with the HVAC on. As a result many transit agencies are choosing to bolt their windows shut now, whch to say it sucks would be an understatement.

Another peeve are people that want the air on when it's just above below freezing, but I digress.

Well I'm one of those people that want the air on all of the time because there's nothing worse than having your parka on and you're warm and then stepping on to a sauna and having to ride with all of these other bundled up people throwing their heat out, making for a very hot and sweaty ride.   <_< The bus also stinks because there is no air flow anywhere and I'm sorry but everybody has their own smell, (good or bad) and all of those smells together can create one stench with no air flow.  

It doesn't have to be an ice box, but there does need to be air flow for the people that bathe in perfume or cologne or the people that don't bathe at all.  Same thing with the subway because with all of the layers on, the heat coming from the people AND the heat coming from the bus it's enough to make you want to pass out.  Sometimes I've been on local buses that have been so hot that I just got off early and walked to try to cool down a bit during the cold months.

As for closing the windows, I usually do close them when I'm done but sometimes some buses stink so much or the HVAC stinks or it's so hot that it's better to keep the windows open.  That's another thing with them bolting up the windows.  The buses never get a chance to air out and they just stink, HVAC on or not.  I think there should be more of an effort to do more from a hygienical point of view.  I realize it's public transit, but that's precisely my point.  You're going to have people that stink (cigarette smokers esp. stink... You know the ones that smoke so much that the disgusting smell comes out of their pores <_<) and those sorts of people will leave a stench that will just linger long after they've gotten off of the bus.

Heh, well some B/O's are adamant about not putting any at all and I think it creates a dangerous situation.  They don't know if someone suffers from an illness or what.  A few years ago I got on an X14 that had no A/C.  The bus felt warm when I got on and I asked the B/O if he had A/C and he said yes because otherwise I would've gladly taken the next bus.  Eventually as we get further on into the trip the bus gets hotter and hotter.  By the time we got to the FDR, the heat was unbearable.  Me and another passenger looked at other like isn't it really hot in here?  Long story short, we were literally roasting on that bus and we couldn't get off obviously because it wasn't doing any picking up or dropping off but after I composed myself and made it to 1st and 23rd, me and that B/O were at it.  I told him if he didn't have any A/C, he should've said so when I got on rather than having me sit on a bus like that with no A/C (A/C was basically broken and spewing out hot air and it was already in the upper 80's outside already).  

The real kicker was when I asked him why was he a driving a bus like that with no A/C, he told me the rules are that the temperature has to be above a certain level inside of the bus in order for him to put the bus OOS which I think is absolutely ridiculous.  Someone could die in a situation like that because those buses don't have windows to open and with no outside air and just hot air blowing on you, the bus becomes like an oven back in the day out of Castleton mainly coming home on the X14 or X30 which were the last buses of the night so you put with it and hoped that the B/O opened the emergency hatchet to provide some sort of "relief" from the hot air blowing on you.  I have yet to be on an (MTA) Bus with no air circulating, but I have been on quite a few NYCT express buses like that.  However, since they got rid of the older MCI's, the air situation on SI express buses has not been a problem... Yet...  <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Well I'm one of those people that want the air on all of the time because there's nothing worse than having your parka on and you're warm and then stepping on to a sauna and having to ride with all of these other bundled up people throwing their heat out, making for a very hot and sweaty ride.   <_< The bus also stinks because there is no air flow anywhere and I'm sorry but everybody has their own smell, (good or bad) and all of those smells together can create one stench with no air flow.  

It doesn't have to be an ice box, but there does need to be air flow for the people that bathe in perfume or cologne or the people that don't bathe at all.  Same thing with the subway because with all of the layers on, the heat coming from the people AND the heat coming from the bus it's enough to make you want to pass out.  Sometimes I've been on local buses that have been so hot that I just got off early and walked to try to cool down a bit during the cold months.

As for closing the windows, I usually do close them when I'm done but sometimes some buses stink so much or the HVAC stinks or it's so hot that it's better to keep the windows open.  That's another thing with them bolting up the windows.  The buses never get a chance to air out and they just stink, HVAC on or not.  I think there should be more of an effort to do more from a hygienical point of view.  I realize it's public transit, but that's precisely my point.  You're going to have people that stink (cigarette smokers esp. stink... You know the ones that smoke so much that the disgusting smell comes out of their pores <_<) and those sorts of people will leave a stench that will just linger long after they've gotten off of the bus.

Well for most of the situations you described I feel the regular ventilation setting would suffice rather than having the cool air blasted.

Though if I had to choose, I'd pick freezing on a bus rather than roasting.

Well when you say LBSS modified...does it still have LBSS? Or completely deactivated. Idk what the Allison Novas sound like.

Are you telling me you've never ridden any LFS between 8000 and 8014? This is what you get for chasing down those Xcelsiors.