BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since a Google search didn't turn up anything:

Does anyone have photos of the B71's destination signs or remembers what the codes were?

This document has a picture of the sign for eastbound buses:

http://parkslopeciviccouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/B71-presentation_20150924.pdf

(I used google images to find that document)

Edited by BM5 via WOODHAVEN BL

Since a Google search didn't turn up anything:

Does anyone have photos of the B71's destination signs or remembers what the codes were?

I actually found a couple of videos of the B71.

This is one thing I found, the destination sign can be seen at around 10 seconds into the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjkHiqGECo

On a side note, I also saw a D4500CL yesterday with a "Welcome Aboard" code up on its front destination sign. Does anyone on this site know what the code of that is? I didn't even know our buses had that.

Edited by r142a 7795

BEWARE THE NYC CENTURY BIKE TOUR!

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/nyc-century-bike-tour-route-2016.pdf

If you plan on riding a bus this weekend...pack yourself a picnic lunch. Staten Island will be spared this traffic travesty.

Oh god.... it begins

Anyway, 5557 is one of the best D60s I've rode. Great acceleration on that one :lol:

Edited by Missabassie

Does anyone know if 2185 runs on 9/11?

It's retired now, but I doubt they'll run it on 9/11.

it's retired from passenger service but not retired from MTA NYCT, and the time/day you'll see 2185 is during occasions and events, such as the New York BusFest later this coming month

How many of you guys are checking out the NYTM exhibit in Brooklyn's this 22nd? I'm already registered and intend to learn a lot.

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

The MTA probably left it up to the Governor to announce the launch of the LGA Link... Except he's probably busy with the storm this weekend.

Passing the Buck should be expected...

Hmmm....on BusTime, the outbound X17 is showing the outbound X17J code "via NJ / via Drugoole" as opposed to "via Huguenot / via Drugoole"

That's the X17J.

I do believe the buses have to be approved first before hitting the roads again (I could be wrong about this). 7304 wasn't out for a few days after it got wrapped and it was a month before I saw it running again.

Would that be why I've seen buses in and out of the Gun Hill Depot scrawled with neon writing?

There's two MTA employees at 34 Street and 3 Avenue counting the insides of all the inbound QM's coming into the city. I wonder what this is all about.

Also, they chose the worst day for this, since theres massi e delays which means that, in some cases, buses show up bunched (and they're on hourly headways).

I'm getting on a Bay Plaza bound Bx5 at PBP today and as I'm getting on the driver is screaming Bay Plaza as if he's calling Bay Plaza bound passengers to get on his bus. I tell him that those people (referring to Bay Plaza bound passengers) are going for the Bx12 SBS and as I say that I point to the crowd of 40+ waiting for the Bx12 SBS. He shakes his head at me and says "dummies". Said Bx5 bus ends up with pulling into Co-op with less than 15 passengers while the Bx12 SBS that closely followed was an absolute sardine can with nearly as many passengers crushed in front of the white line as there were total on the Bx5. At least the Bx5 is useful for the people who don't want to board sardine cans.

There's two MTA employees at 34 Street and 3 Avenue counting the insides of all the inbound QM's coming into the city. I wonder what this is all about.

Also, they chose the worst day for this, since theres massi e delays which means that, in some cases, buses show up bunched (and they're on hourly headways).

That's likely why they're doing that.

I had one of those guys come aboard my x64, he was counting heads and asking folks how far they were going, if they weren't going to the end of the line, he told the operator to turn back around and head to the city(my operator had two trips, one x64 and one x68).

That's likely why they're doing that.

I had one of those guys come aboard my x64, he was counting heads and asking folks how far they were going, if they weren't going to the end of the line, he told the operator to turn back around and head to the city(my operator had two trips, one x64 and one x68).

I guess, but they were writing things down too on their clipboards which they had (likely the amount of people on the bus). There was also no delay notice on the MTA website (yet all the other local and express routes in the system delay notices). They didn't ask the operator anything, so I think something else is going on.

Think it's been a cool month now since I've last used an express bus.... Lot of it has to do with the weather; wanting to GTF home out of this heat.... I've been minimizing the amount of times I head into manhattan directly from work anyway (in turn, doing more online ordering of shit as of late) & when I do, I gun for the (B) or the (Q) & call it a day.... Before the fact, the first option would be to walk over for the BM's to get home.... Another thing I'm not in no, way, shape, or form doing anymore (in this weather, at least) is that walk from the E. 18th/Cortelyou stop (on the BM's), home.....

Yes, traffic in "the city" is the pits, but standing in a spot (in a line) in 80-90 degree weather, nah, not soon-to-be-35 year old B35.... The dizziness I'm getting from it now is a] almost instant (it usually occurs if I stand in one spot for 10-15 mins.... now it's less than 5 mins before I have to get on one knee & or/lean against some bldg) & b] lasts longer (even if I drink my bottled water I carry to try to quell the effects of it)....

Looks like it's going to be cold(er) weather riding for me... Which suits me just fine anyway B-)

Edited by B35 via Church

Q53 was so bad today since there was no local southbound, everyone took the bus and with the bunching the first bus got crush loaded. At Elmhurst, there was a wheelchair passenger, and the B/O kicked everyone out the board the wheelchair passenger. and reboarded. Even at a crush load she still was accepting passenger. What got me even more pissed, was that there were 5 buses behind mine yet none even passed my bus leaving the poor B/O to take the heat and it took us almost an hour to go from Roosevelt to QCM. There were many angry passengers, and she tried to do her best however being the first bus of a 30+ min gap, and no other B/O's passing this driver wasn't helping. 

TBH almost all CP routes are a mess. 

I'm getting on a Bay Plaza bound Bx5 at PBP today and as I'm getting on the driver is screaming Bay Plaza as if he's calling Bay Plaza bound passengers to get on his bus. I tell him that those people (referring to Bay Plaza bound passengers) are going for the Bx12 SBS and as I say that I point to the crowd of 40+ waiting for the Bx12 SBS. He shakes his head at me and says "dummies". Said Bx5 bus ends up with pulling into Co-op with less than 15 passengers while the Bx12 SBS that closely followed was an absolute sardine can with nearly as many passengers crushed in front of the white line as there were total on the Bx5. At least the Bx5 is useful for the people who don't want to board sardine cans.

I don't know why people would rather cram on the SBS 12 than use a local bus. And it seems to be a Bx12-only problem; I ride the Bx41 Select from time to time and the 41 doesn't have that kind of problem at all.

Does anyone know if 2185 runs on 9/11?

2185 was on Madison Avenue today (btwn 53 and 54 Street) along with several buses from QV, ECH, YUK, CH, and UP, I believe sending in Police officers and other personnel to an event on 5th Avenue today (yet nobody using the knew that because the MTA never mentioned anything before the event started. Everything was rerouted onto Lexington Avenue). 2185 may indeed show up for the ceremony tomorrow in Lower Manhattan. 

Q53 was so bad today since there was no local southbound, everyone took the bus and with the bunching the first bus got crush loaded. At Elmhurst, there was a wheelchair passenger, and the B/O kicked everyone out the board the wheelchair passenger. and reboarded. Even at a crush load she still was accepting passenger. What got me even more pissed, was that there were 5 buses behind mine yet none even passed my bus leaving the poor B/O to take the heat and it took us almost an hour to go from Roosevelt to QCM. There were many angry passengers, and she tried to do her best however being the first bus of a 30+ min gap, and no other B/O's passing this driver wasn't helping. 

TBH almost all CP routes are a mess. 

All these years I've been embarking on buses, I've never understood the rule (if there is one) regarding wheelchair pax & a jampacked bus.... I've gotten kicked off by a b/o myself on a B35 many moons ago (I had boarded on Nostrand & the lady got on at the Brooklyn av stop)... Instead of waiting for another bus, or hopping in a dollar cab, I walked it out....

As for your ride/that occurrence on the Q53, that's disgusting... Although I've been on numerous Q53's that took more than 30 mins to get from Moore term. to Hoffman, I don't think I've ever been on one that took an hour b/w that stint.... But yeah, that is one thing I do not miss about taking the Q53 with any regularity - being on that "first" bus so to speak (I'd ride it from Woodside, better chance at a seat), which was often a sardine can all the way to the (A), at least....

I'd get off the bus at B. 116th & there'd be 2 empty buses right behind the one I disembarked....

I can't fathom those buses would be spread apart uniformly (or close enough to it), then voila - Soon as we hit the Rockaways, there's 3 buses arriving at the terminal in unison.... It's no secret to anyone that the Woodhaven LTD's bunch like crazy.... You'd think it's common sense, but apparently not - As again, NY-ers (as I dub it) are in a rush to get nowhere fast..... Me, I am NOT going to attempt to cram onto a packed bus - especially at those headways.... especially if I see a bunch of people waiting at a stop that doesn't see an exorbitant amt. of pax (telltale sign of delays)... especially if I see buses in the distance (and I have 20/20 too, so that aint a problem)....

Think it's been a cool month now since I've last used an express bus.... Lot of it has to do with the weather; wanting to GTF home out of this heat.... I've been minimizing the amount of times I head into manhattan directly from work anyway (in turn, doing more online ordering of shit as of late) & when I do, I gun for the (B) or the (Q) & call it a day.... Before the fact, the first option would be to walk over for the BM's to get home.... Another thing I'm not in no, way, shape, or form doing anymore (in this weather, at least) is that walk from the E. 18th/Cortelyou stop (on the BM's), home.....

Yes, traffic in "the city" is the pits, but standing in a spot (in a line) in 80-90 degree weather, nah, not soon-to-be-35 year old B35.... The dizziness I'm getting from it now is a] almost instant (it usually occurs if I stand in one spot for 10-15 mins.... now it's less than 5 mins before I have to get on one knee & or/lean against some bldg) & b] lasts longer (even if I drink my bottled water I carry to try to quell the effects of it)....

Looks like it's going to be cold(er) weather riding for me... Which suits me just fine anyway B-)

Yes, I am so glad summer is almost over. The hot and humid crappola becomes beyond annoying, and unless I've been in AC, I become a sweaty and very cranky individual. Hate summer with a passion unless it is below 70 and not humid, hence why I LOVE late September and October ad a Libra. As for the express bus, I considered taking it home on Friday but once I put on BusTime and saw how badly delayed buses were I opted for Metro-North. If it's this bad in early September, when the UN General Assembly starts up it will be really bad.

I don't know why people would rather cram on the SBS 12 than use a local bus. And it seems to be a Bx12-only problem; I ride the Bx41 Select from time to time and the 41 doesn't have that kind of problem at all.

The headways on the Bx41 SBS aren't so great so it's more likely people are waiting it out to see if a local shows up before getting their SBS ticket. Better examples to look at would be the B46 or M15.