BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Anyone ever see this happen in nyc? GappenedHappened in toronto 

This happened along the B36 a few years ago.  I don't condone this, but I also don't blame him since I have to deal with the B36 on the daily...

1 minute ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Just a thought: Would it make sense to use double-decker buses on high-capacity routes? You could add a third door to improve dwell times.

Interesting if they did decide to bring in double decker buses. I recall they were testing them on express routes. But I don't know if theyll ever put them on local routes. I think it could help but in some areas you have to be sure of head clearance. 

4 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Interesting if they did decide to bring in double decker buses. I recall they were testing them on express routes. But I don't know if theyll ever put them on local routes. I think it could help but in some areas you have to be sure of head clearance. 

I think that if they are viable, the MTA should give them a try as they have shorter turning radii than artics. It would be interesting to see these on high-use routes like the Bx12 and M15.

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Just a thought: Would it make sense to use double-decker buses on high-capacity routes? You could add a third door to improve dwell times.

If i remember right, part of the problem was that as a safety issue, passengers could not walk down the steps from the upper to lower decks when the bus is moving, so at times that can be an issue. Also with the risk of some idiot running down and tripping on the stairs regardless of whether the bus is in motion, it's less of an optimum design.

12 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The automated announcements on the buses seem to annoy the B/O’s too. I’ve been noticing more and more of them leave their radio phones off the hook so that people won’t be forced to hear those announcements or “Please exit thru the rear door” every 5 minutes.

The other one that is becoming annoying is the "Caution Bus Is Turning". I was on 50th and 7th this morning and one of those new M50 electric buses came by and I heard that playing over and over.  The more they play these announcements, the more deaf-tone people become.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 2/10/2018 at 6:40 PM, Brillant93 said:

You know it’s really upsetting this route is. It never comes on time or close to and even on the weekends it just runs like hell. I really don’t know what would take this route to get better because it got an F on the bus turnaround report card. So it can’t get any worse? 

Sure it can. It fell below the threshold for reliability to get an F but that doesn't mean it can't get more unreliable. Maybe instead of 40% of buses being on-time (or whatever it was), it'll go down to 10%

On 2/13/2018 at 1:08 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

So it attempts to count passengers boarding AND exiting? How accurate is it?

Most places use them, so I would assume there haven't been many complaints. By the time this paper was finished in 2002, TriMet in Portland had been using them for 20 years.

The super awesome thing is that linked with BusTime position data, this would essentially give you entries and exits per stop, per trip. We don't have data with anywhere near that sort of granularity today.

On 2/13/2018 at 6:46 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

You could solve the problem with more doors on buses. Europe uses three doors on 40-footers and 4-5 on 60-footers.

The problem with double-deckers is that because the second level is all seating, they only work well on routes that have lots of passengers riding from end-to-end, because the double decker format is really not conducive towards lots of on/off activity. That basically would only leave the routes in Eastern Queens, since no one is getting off of points in between, and buses in other areas are either not busy enough or have too much on/off activity at intermediate stops.

23 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The other one that is becoming annoying is the "Caution Bus Is Turning". I was on 50th and 7th this morning and one of those new M50 electric buses came by and I heard that playing over and over.  The more they play these announcements, the more deaf-tone people become.

You think you are annoyed by those "Caution: Bus is Turning" announcements? Come to Philly where 70% of NFs and a few Novabuses have them  Bus numbers 4600, 8425-8427, 8460-8463 & 8540-8542 have "Caution, Pedestrians, Bus is turning" while all others and the new orders don't have "Pedestrians" announcement.                                                                                              

7 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

There's snow in the forecast this Saturday so you know what that means.. 40 footers on the Attic routes. However there's a bunch of subway shuttles this weekend so if those subway G.Os aren't cancelled then things might get a little tight.

Unless we’re getting well over a few inches I don’t think so. Also winter is practically almost over. It’s raining every other day which means spring is coming. 

12 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know who told you that lie... 

It’s been getting to rise up to 40 to 50 degrees. I think it’s safe to say winter is almost over at this point. I’m also checking the forecast and I don’t see anything like just snow. It’s snow with some rain but that’s it. 

1 minute ago, Brillant93 said:

It’s been getting to rise up to 40 to 50 degrees. I think it’s safe to say winter is almost over at this point. I’m also checking the forecast and I don’t see anything like just snow. It’s snow with some rain but that’s it. 

A few days in the 60s, but then the temperatures drop right back into the 30s.  Sounds like winter to me with a mix of global warming.  The way it's been going the last few years, we barely get four seasons anymore.  

I have noticed something this week with front of the RTS's from UP and FB, they removed all the 'VIM' AD'S (model advertising Jeans) and now just the MTA logo is there.. Did someone file a complaint or a move by MTA to not to put Ads on the front anymore ? P.S saw a couple NGs like that also..

27 minutes ago, Transbusfan said:

I have noticed something this week with front of the RTS's from UP and FB, they removed all the 'VIM' AD'S (model advertising Jeans) and now just the MTA logo is there.. Did someone file a complaint or a move by MTA to not to put Ads on the front anymore ? P.S saw a couple NGs like that also..

It's most likely that new front ads are coming soon since the current ones were placed back in late November. A lot of the other buses still have the VIM ads in the city.

1 hour ago, Transbusfan said:

I noticed that as well and thought that maybe they were possibly doing away with front ads.

13 hours ago, Transbusfan said:

You might get the Good Day New York front ad. However, if they are doing away with front ads that would be good. Just only could wish they could go back to the rear wraps for the NG's and RTS just to get more ad dollars. 

20 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

After that freak snowstorm in May that one year I wouldn't put it past Mother Nature to throw another freak storm at New York.

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

You might get the Good Day New York front ad. However, if they are doing away with front ads that would be good. Just only could wish they could go back to the rear wraps for the NG's and RTS just to get more ad dollars. 

I have a feeling most advertisers don't want to pay for those anymore given that you can target people on your phones or in the subway and have more of a guaranteed shot of reaching your audience.

I've always wondered, though, why the ad panels in buses are never used.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

I have a feeling most advertisers don't want to pay for those anymore given that you can target people on your phones or in the subway and have more of a guaranteed shot of reaching your audience.

I've always wondered, though, why the ad panels in buses are never used.

That's true.  If you don't have a big targeting audience than advertisers aren't going to flip the bread. In the past few months. I've been noticing some 30x215 billboards in the Brooklyn Division.

BK Division is not as close to Manhattan which has a bigger targeting audience when it comes to advertising. Although you see some resemblance to some 30x240 super king billboards used on the RTS buses.  I just wonder what's going to happen with the new buses in stock when they come in. 

I guess the TA is not willing to slap ads on the newer buses even the ones from bus co. which are reaching 2 years old. 

Edited by Future ENY OP
Word structure