BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

BTW those 4700 XD60s are raggedy as hell, I really those hope buses don't end up in BK, their interiors look much older than the 4800s at UP & ENY, even though the 4800s are the older buses. The glass by the second rear door had scratchetti on it smh. The BX can keep them shyts. BK bus riders have it good in terms of how well maintained the buses are, yeah the service probably sucks but the buses themselves are in great shape, even the RTS's aren't that bad for 19-20 old buses. 

There has been talk for a while that those filthy buses would make their way into Brooklyn. However, I see that it has died down a little. Yes, I agree with you @trainfan22   The Bronx definitely need to keep those right there. Something tells me that they will destroy the 54xx buses and watch those get shipped to Manhattan (MJQ, MCH). 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was out for dinner yesterday and had another engagement later in the evening so needed time to kill. So I took the M101 uptown and the ride was alright. It was pretty empty until it got like around 79th street. Surprisingly the bus lane wasn’t completely filled with cars that didn’t belong there. The ride was fast being how it was In the heart of rush hour. Makes me wonder how that bus lane could be almost clear but not the M15 sbs? 

P.s. I don’t take these routes often this is just what I saw at the time I could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Was out for dinner yesterday and had another engagement later in the evening so needed time to kill. So I took the M101 uptown and the ride was alright. It was pretty empty until it got like around 79th street. Surprisingly the bus lane wasn’t completely filled with cars that didn’t belong there. The ride was fast being how it was In the heart of rush hour. Makes me wonder how that bus lane could be almost clear but not the M15 sbs? 

P.s. I don’t take these routes often this is just what I saw at the time I could be wrong. 

Consider yourself lucky.  3rd Avenue is always hit or miss.  The buses along that corridor go in and out of the bus lane since you have cars turning in some areas and then traffic changes as you approach 57th street. Still a bit of a choke point (57th street) but definitely MUCH better than before, especially now with the bus stop at 57th which didn't exist before and that barrier/island.  Good job by the DOT on that one.

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

There has been talk for a while that those filthy buses would make their way into Brooklyn. However, I see that it has died down a little. Yes, I agree with you @trainfan22   The Bronx definitely need to keep those right there. Something tells me that they will destroy the 54xx buses and watch those get shipped to Manhattan (MJQ, MCH). 

i pray those old(er) xd60's stay right where they are. GH & KB (especially KB) have done a fantastic job of ripping those buses to shreds

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Consider yourself lucky.  3rd Avenue is always hit or miss.  The buses along that corridor go in and out of the bus lane since you have cars turning in some areas and then traffic changes as you approach 57th street. Still a bit of a choke point (57th street) but definitely MUCH better than before, especially now with the bus stop at 57th which didn't exist before and that barrier/island.  Good job by the DOT on that one.

I think more barrier islands need to be put onto certain routes to maybe help and or prevent cars from parking in bus stops. Also someone brought up in another thread barriers on bus lanes in which I think would be helfpul as well. 

5 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

i pray those old(er) xd60's stay right where they are. GH & KB (especially KB) have done a fantastic job of ripping those buses to shreds

KB's batch is in much better shape than GH's, I just hope someone either on a #AskNYCT or Board Meeting can reach the message over to Byford to make him aware about it and even visiting the depot.

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I made some new routes, tell me what you think (It's a lot so I put it in a docs file, I will continue to update it)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rO_mP36pv_uJYzR8nPginT62XA2bAm_rIBplsA5XYr0/edit?usp=sharing

Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KQKmi182t0E68f6q2nG_ICTxGYgY2xaG&usp=sharing

I'm not seeing the ridership for the S77. The only real areas you might see some ridership from are Evergreen Plaza in Bay Terrace and the area around the Eltingville SIR station (from say, Richmond to Armstrong). If I had to serve that area, I'd be inclined to do so with the S76 (basically, I'd have the S76 run down Amboy Road to Richmond Avenue, and then have the S57 take over the S76 route in New Dorp Beach/Oakwood Beach). Obviously, there would still be trippers for the kids from Farrell and New Dorp High Schools.

On the Tottenville end, I would divide the western end of the S74 into two routes (the S74 itself would be cut back to the ETC). I would have one full-time route running from the ETC to Tottenville via Arthur Kill Road, Woodrow Road, Bloomingdale Road, Englewood Avenue, serve Bricktown, and then continue down Page Avenue & Amboy Road to Main Street. Another route would run straight down Arthur Kill Road from the ETC to Tottenville. 

Perth Amboy I would serve with an extension of the S55 (basically send it down Englewood to Bricktown, and go over the Outerbridge from there. No need to serve the park-and-ride.

I would just send the S98 over the Goethals Bridge to either EWR or Jersey Gardens, and call it a day. I definitely wouldn't have a short-turn of it ending in West Brighton. I think a connection at Forest & Richmond would be enough for people heading towards the Mid-Island and South Shore. (I would still have some trips to Arlington during rush hour)

12 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm not seeing the ridership for the S77. The only real areas you might see some ridership from are Evergreen Plaza in Bay Terrace and the area around the Eltingville SIR station (from say, Richmond to Armstrong). If I had to serve that area, I'd be inclined to do so with the S76 (basically, I'd have the S76 run down Amboy Road to Richmond Avenue, and then have the S57 take over the S76 route in New Dorp Beach/Oakwood Beach). Obviously, there would still be trippers for the kids from Farrell and New Dorp High Schools.

On the Tottenville end, I would divide the western end of the S74 into two routes (the S74 itself would be cut back to the ETC). I would have one full-time route running from the ETC to Tottenville via Arthur Kill Road, Woodrow Road, Bloomingdale Road, Englewood Avenue, serve Bricktown, and then continue down Page Avenue & Amboy Road to Main Street. Another route would run straight down Arthur Kill Road from the ETC to Tottenville. 

Perth Amboy I would serve with an extension of the S55 (basically send it down Englewood to Bricktown, and go over the Outerbridge from there. No need to serve the park-and-ride.

I would just send the S98 over the Goethals Bridge to either EWR or Jersey Gardens, and call it a day. I definitely wouldn't have a short-turn of it ending in West Brighton. I think a connection at Forest & Richmond would be enough for people heading towards the Mid-Island and South Shore. (I would still have some trips to Arlington during rush hour)

I can see students using the S77 to reach Tottenville, Farrell and S.I. Tech High schools.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Or they can just use the SIR which stops by those same areas. The Oakwood Heights stop is literally right by Farrell.

It's a 10 min walk from S.I. Tech and the S77 would stop right in front of it. I know that this route wouldn't get too much ridership so that's why I made it weekday only. It would also help disabled and elderly people that can't make it up the stairs at many SIR stations.

29 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

That new sign update on the LFSA is hot garbage. It actually makes the font size smaller and harder to read. Instead of fixing the font on the new buses they go ahead and put the new style on the older buses.

Another instance where the (MTA) fixes something that isn’t broken.

I think some of those signs have to be tweaked. Because the buses that have upgraded signs are now displaying the correct font and size. 

On 4/28/2018 at 10:37 PM, Calvin said:

Anyone notice how the newer LFSAs have the beeping sounds like the New Flyer C40LFs when it's lowered?

I first noticed it when I got on 5479 on the Bx12 and took it to the Esplanade (Williamsbridge Road). That fast beep comes from all of New Flyer's fleet, and I even heard the same thing on two MCI D4500CL coaches from Liberty Lines Express (Yonkers) when I took the BxM4 from 177th Street to 60th Street. The two rides on the express route first came from when I began to earn money for my work with my internship that I did. This means that its not just you that noticed this.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:40 AM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I doubt they've been how you described it. I have to admit that I don't know how exactly you came to the conclusion they are already beat up. Besides, according to @WestFarms36 , the ones from Tenth Avenue (Kingsbridge) seem to be in better shape than the ones straight out of Bartow (Gun Hill).

Edited by 4 via Mosholu
Description of kneeling beep on the New Flyer

2 hours ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

I first noticed it when I got on 5479 on the Bx12 and took it to the Esplanade (Williamsbridge Road). That fast beep comes from all of New Flyer's fleet, and I even heard the same thing on two MCI D4500CL coaches from Liberty Lines Express (Yonkers) when I took the BxM4 from 177th Street to 60th Street. The two rides on the express route first came from when I began to earn money for my work with my internship that I did. This means that its not just you that noticed this.

I doubt they've been how you described it. I have to admit that I don't know how exactly you came to the conclusion they are already beat up. Besides, according to @WestFarms36 , the ones from Tenth Avenue (Kingsbridge) seem to be in better shape than the ones straight out of Bartow (Gun Hill).

i currently work at KB. I tend to have a different opinion seeing as I've seen them before the rehab they underwent 

Gun Hill's batch is worse, panels tagged up, disgusting uncleaned interior, skylight is f*cking disgusting. The entire management at Gun Hill needs to be fired because they are an utter disgrace when it comes to the upkeep of buses. They clearly run their buses to the ground. The 1200 series ride like crap already despite being around 8-9 years old which is unfortunate. It absolutely sad how long that depot has gotten away with destroying its buses to the last screw for all these years. I hope Byford gets word of this situation somehow, because the conditions of those buses are criminal. Those buses are even unwelcoming to Homeless people.

9 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Gun Hill's batch is worse, panels tagged up, disgusting uncleaned interior, skylight is f*cking disgusting. The entire management at Gun Hill needs to be fired because they are an utter disgrace when it comes to the upkeep of buses. They clearly run their buses to the ground. The 1200 series ride like crap already despite being around 8-9 years old which is unfortunate. It absolutely sad how long that depot has gotten away with destroying its buses to the last screw for all these years. I hope Byford gets word of this situation somehow, because the conditions of those buses are criminal. Those buses are even unwelcoming to Homeless people.

..... and you wonder why Gun Hill gets the best buses than ruins them. The (MTA) treats the Bronx Division first class. Those 1200's and 4700's they have shouldn't be running towards the ground. The same will go for the 54xx buses unless there's changes. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

..... and you wonder why Gun Hill gets the best buses than ruins them. The (MTA) treats the Bronx Division first class. Those 1200's and 4700's they have shouldn't be running towards the ground. The same will go for the 54xx buses unless there's changes. 

11 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

I rarely even use local buses in the Bronx and I said the exact same thing about their horrible maintenance.  There have been a number of times when I've been waiting for the express bus in various areas (Woodlawn, Parkchester, Fordham, etc.) and I see a Bx34 pass or I'm on an express bus and see some Bx12 buses. Just looking at the outside the buses are taking and pounding and look horrible given their age, so obviously the inside is just as bad.  

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

If you've seen, or been on the routes those 1200s and 4700s operate on....you'd see why they look like they've been ran into the ground. The Bronx has some of the more brutal artic routes in the city.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Brutal in what way exactly?

I'll put it this way, compared to the Manhattan routes, the routes in Manhattan are a cakewalk.

Take the Bx12 for example, it goes through some of the hilly parts of The Bronx and encounters some pretty rough roads, so those buses will look beat up regardless. The hills themselves is why the 1200s used to take off so slow(it's night and day when you compare it to the 1200s on the M15 Select).

All those Bronx artics goes through some rough areas that contribute to the wear and tear on those buses.