BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Last Sunday I waited almost 30 minutes for a BxM1 bus.  It was due at 18:50 and arrived at 19:18, with the driver smiling and speaking like nothing happened <_<.  I was too tired from waiting to say anything so I just spoke and took a seat.  It was yet another trip that should've taken 40 minutes, but took almost two hours when all was said and done.  I got off early in frustration because we had a wheelchair on top of it and I didn't feel like going through a 20 minute ordeal just for that, but yeah I see lots of people using Uber when waiting for buses on weekends, and you really can't blame them.  Getting anywhere has become such an ordeal.  I may very well start putting Uber into my budget when the bus becomes a mess.

Next Stop: 2 Broadway, I'll give them an earful of what an angry customer sounds like...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Next Stop: 2 Broadway, I'll give them an earful of what an angry customer sounds like...

Or better yet, attend the board meetings and speak there. My schedule has been crazy, but I'd like to get to one in the next few months and speak.  This whole thing has been very frustrating and there's a few board members that I'd personally like to address my comments to about things they need to focus on going forward. 

On 5/1/2018 at 9:29 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

I have a question for the bus operators here

Someone falls on your steps while getting on the bus what are you supposed to do?

to add to the questions for the bus operators @SevenEleven @EastFlatbushLarry and any other bus operator on the forum

What had happened on my bus when i was riding it a few days ago

We pull up to a stop,bus is a low floor hybrid bus dude gets on slips on the ramp step and has a bruise on his lower leg and cuts

dude says he is ok driver makes him fill out his information saying he does not need attention, and supervisor responds and asks injured dude if he is ok dude says he is,  then he sees his injury later says he needs medical attention so fire engine and Ambulance comes and responds.

We transfer to a standby bus as they take regular bus out of service and driver out of service for the day.

What does TA have you guys do if that happens?

23 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

to add to the questions for the bus operators @SevenEleven @EastFlatbushLarry and any other bus operator on the forum

What had happened on my bus when i was riding it a few days ago

We pull up to a stop,bus is a low floor hybrid bus dude gets on slips on the ramp step and has a bruise on his lower leg and cuts

dude says he is ok driver makes him fill out his information saying he does not need attention, and supervisor responds and asks injured dude if he is ok dude says he is,  then he sees his injury later says he needs medical attention so fire engine and Ambulance comes and responds.

We transfer to a standby bus as they take regular bus out of service and driver out of service for the day.

What does TA have you guys do if that happens?

Exactly what they did... Get passengers off of the bus, and have the bus go OOS and from there, wait until management is on the scene, then have paperwork stating what happened, etc.  Surely that guy will have to go through hoops.  Even when the driver isn't at fault, the (MTA) will say well you should've saw XYZ.  If you're deemed too much of a liability you can be let go.  The (MTA) hates liabilities... Liabilities=lawsuits and $$$. How did the guy slip on the ramp? Was the bus pulled into the curb properly?

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Exactly what they did... Get passengers off of the bus, and have the bus go OOS and from there paperwork stating what happened, etc.  Surely that guy will have to go through hoops.  Even when the driver isn't at fault, the (MTA) will say well you should've saw XYZ.  If you're deemed too much of a liability you can be let go.  The (MTA) hates liabilities... Liabilities=lawsuits and $$$.

i see and to add the driver was looking right at him when he came up and fell and we also have cameras towards the door above the driver cameras out the front window and camera towards the driver from behind the front door, to add they also had us sit on the bus while they treated him till they extracted him off the bus and the standby bus came

Edited by BreeddekalbL

8 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

i see and to add the driver was looking right at him when he came up and fell

I've been in three accidents on the bus over the years.  One of them I posted here a few years back on the BxM1.  We were coming over the Broadway bridge when a cover from above came down and hit the roof of the bus and smashed the destination sign as it fell to the ground.  Really scary as we didn't know what was going on.  The B/O was freaking out saying he could lose his job for this.  Well we were allowed to stay on the bus until another bus came (we learned that they weren't sending a replacement bus, so the next one would be an hour away). Management showed up, talked with the driver and they were making snide remarks about how he's the driver and should've saw it.  It was impossible to see since it was dark out and the plate that fell from above likely was from the rumbling of the (1) train above.  Any way, after a whole big who ha, they decided to put the bus back in service with the smashed destination sign (told the guy to be careful), dropped us off, and I'm sure the bus was taken to the depot thereafter.  Several of us agreed to be witnesses if he needed us to ensure that he still held his job.

That happened several years ago, and the guy is still around, but with that BxM18 accident where the driver smashed into those cars on Madison, that driver that put through the ringer.  Heard it from other B/Os I know. Luckily a passenger that I ride with wa s able to get the bus to a stop while the driver was unconscious which is when he finally came to.  I was on the bus after that one. The passengers were freaked out.  I would've been on that same bus had I not left the office later.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've been in three accidents on the bus over the years.  One of them I posted here a few years back on the BxM1.  We were coming over the Broadway bridge when a cover from above came down and hit the roof of the bus and smashed the destination sign as it fell to the ground.  Really scary as we didn't know what was going on.  The B/O was freaking out saying he could lose his job for this.  Well we were allowed to stay on the bus until another bus came (we learned that they weren't sending a replacement bus, so the next one would be an hour away). Management showed up, talked with the driver and they were making snide remarks about how he's the driver and should've saw it.  It was impossible to see since it was dark out and the plate that fell from above likely was from the rumbling of the (1) train above.  Any way, after a whole big who ha, they decided to put the bus back in service with the smashed destination sign (told the guy to be careful), dropped us off, and I'm sure the bus was taken to the depot thereafter.  Several of us agreed to be witnesses if he needed us to ensure that he still held his job.

That happened several years ago, and the guy is still around, but with that BxM18 accident where the driver smashed into those cars on Madison, that driver that put through the ringer.  Heard it from other B/Os I know. Luckily a passenger that I ride with wa s able to get the bus to a stop while the driver was unconscious which is when he finally came to.  I was on the bus after that one. The passengers were freaked out.  I would've been on that same bus had I not left the office later.

The first one makes me want to say the hell how the hell could he seen it?

The 2nd one i remember that, didn't the driver have a medical episode?

1 minute ago, BreeddekalbL said:

The 2nd one i remember that, didn't the driver have a medical episode?

Yes he did.  He was an older driver too, so they really had him under the spotlight. I can't recall the conversation I had since it was a few years ago, but I was talking with a B/O about it on the way home.  I know he had to go through all sorts of tests and he definitely had some sort of condition that triggered him passing out.

On 5/1/2018 at 9:44 PM, WestFarms36 said:

That is a fact. I was on 5311 on Friday, the Bus is tagged up and full of black filth. There is no way that something like that contributes to distance. The Bx12 and Bx41 +SBS+ don't run overnight, I'd expect those buses to be the most cleanest and upkept in the entire yard. The condition on 5311 was a disgrace ads wripped off, a Q44 Strip Map torn in half and not removed. It proves that no one goes inside to even BROOM these buses at Gun Hill. It is unsanitary and criminal seeing the conditions those buses are in. Especially the +SBS+ units which spend the night at the yard, I would expect some upkeep.

Would you ever consider that things like that happens during the day when you're not on the bus? People, especially school kids tend to act like animals.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

5986 has WiFi now (but no Cuomo paint), which means the WiFi retrofit on the older local buses is now underway.

They've been doing them to the older local buses for a few weeks to a month now.

Soon hopefully I will be a new hire, I’m at final processing, Finish my paperwork into criminal convictions know I have to get this disposition papers from the court. (How will this affect me?) *i have many arrests bull shit arrest. No I don’t have a Fenoly. 

16 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Would you ever consider that things like that happens during the day when you're not on the bus? People, especially school kids tend to act like animals.

I have seen a few school kids hanging from the Yellow Cord, doesn't surprise me...

42 minutes ago, JubaionBx12+SBS said:

I've seen a report about the double decker X17J and based on the information given one of the trips took 2 hours and 36 minutes. Why on earth do we have routes that long? Also, that trip ended a minimum of 45 minutes late based on the scheduled X17J trips.

Either something happened along the way, or that bus was going ultra slow the whole way.