BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I actually don't think those are loaners to UP(other than 7108 & 7109, those were actually OOS before going to UP). The buses that were sent to UP from ENY were eventually replaced by the newer XD40s(by way of deliveries and transfers), same for FP. I believe FP's allotment of XD40s increased over time during the delivery of the order as well.

Edited by Cait Sith

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I actually don't think those are loaners to UP(other than 7108 & 7109, those were actually OOS before going to UP). The buses that were sent to UP from ENY were eventually replaced by the newer XD40s(by way of deliveries and transfers), same for FP. I believe FP's allotment of XD40s increased over time during the delivery of the order as well.

How come 7108-7109 were OOS?

I took the 113/114 home from Jamaica to Far Rockaway and it was a smooth ride. All the traffic in the area was mostly done by Five Town Shopping Center. If the center is that difficult then maybe NICE can extend the n1 over there and turn around buses at the signal before Brookville. 

23 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

I took the 113/114 home from Jamaica to Far Rockaway and it was a smooth ride. All the traffic in the area was mostly done by Five Town Shopping Center. If the center is that difficult then maybe NICE can extend the n1 over there and turn around buses at the signal before Brookville. 

... You really think that NICE will expand N1 service. 😩.  You must be dreaming. Five towns is not the best attractive area to shop. 

17 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

... You really think that NICE will expand N1 service. 😩.  You must be dreaming. Five towns is not the best attractive area to shop. 

The n31/32 covers Five Towns on West Broadway and Central Avenue. The n1 can simply travel along W. Broadway and Rockawayy Turnpike. bound for Queens. 5 Towns is predominantly jewish neighborhood. Its' for people who don't want to go to Green Acres to Shop. Apparently the Pizza Hut at 5 Towns is gone and they now have Lowes over there.  

Saw a displaced city resident at Green Acres asking how to get back to Five Towns and the n1 driver told them to wait for the Hewlett bound bus. All the traffic around Green Acres is heading towards the city, the n1 travels in the opposite direction between Valley Stream RR and Hewlett at Broadway/Sheridan.

Edited by NY1635

5 hours ago, Hound said:

I've always thought the N1 should continue down to the center of Hewlett by Bway/West Bway jct. or even turn around by the LIRR sta. instead of terminating at that deadend location of Bway & Rockaway Ave.

That's the police station at Grant Park. To my surprise, the n1 is always on schedule and just goes thru residential streets. Valley Stream looks like the 50s never left. The n1 should use Mill Road, Dubois Ave to reach the Gibson LIRR. 

So far only the Q111 uses Mill Road, Rosedale Road, and Peninsula for people who work in Five Towns

Edited by NY1635

12 hours ago, NY1635 said:

Are you sure? I always see 4 Q76s on Hillside when waiting for the n6. They must be getting to College Point faster than the Q20.

What does that have to do with them not being school trippers? If anything, school trippers can bunch up easily due to kids ringing the bell when no one's getting off and shit like that. I feel bad for these drivers having to put up with stupid nonsense like that. 

Also, as far as I know, CS still has the Q76 route and the one in the picture is a QV bus but JA and QV both do school trips for various CS routes so one can put two and two together.

Edited by danielhg121

40 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

What does that have to do with them not being school trippers? If anything, school trippers can bunch up easily due to kids ringing the bell when no one's getting off and shit like that. I feel bad for these drivers having to put up with stupid nonsense like that. 

Also, as far as I know, CS still has the Q76 route and the one in the picture is a QV bus but JA and QV both do school trips for various CS routes so one can put two and two together.

I feel bad for the 77 bus operators. They should really put the route on Springfield till Hillside to help the Q27. The 76 and 77 are both school routes that travel on F.Lewis. They usually get backed up by the signal at Hillside, Traffic near 169th Street and 179th Subway on the (F). They've been doing stop consolidations on Hillside Ave lately due to all the construction in the area.

18 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The fact that Flatbush has 15 Oddball LFSAs makes me think the XE60s will end up over there down the line. 

The LFSAs were bus-for-bus swaps. It's not really an oddball fleet when you consider that Flatbush had LFSAs until recently.

Edited by Cait Sith

5 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I feel bad for the 77 bus operators. They should really put the route on Springfield till Hillside to help the Q27. The 76 and 77 are both school routes that travel on F.Lewis. They usually get backed up by the signal at Hillside, Traffic near 169th Street and 179th Subway on the (F). They've been doing stop consolidations on Hillside Ave lately due to all the construction in the area.

* The Q27 south of Hillside isn't the portion of the Q27 that needs "help"....

* You say you "feel bad" for Q77 operators, but yet you're talking about having the Q77 continue up Springfield to get to Hillside.... There is no need for Q1's & Q77's running between Springfield/Hillside & 165th st. terminal; that's creating even more redundancy for the simple sake of it..... It's a silly reason to suggest doing that to the Q77; have the Q77 take Springfield to get to Hillside (instead of Francis Lewis) so that it won't be part of a scenario that has it getting caught at a particular traffic light.... The thing would still have to deal with that Hillside traffic you speak of b/w 165th st & 188th st anyway....

Whatever time savings you think would be achieved by taking Q77's off Francis Lewis, would EASILY be offset by added runtime running along Springfield between Francis Lewis & Hillside alone, never mind the added distance & runtime along Hillside between Springfield & Francis Lewis..... (Traffic along that part of) Springfield moves better, but it's also a significant enough a distance away from Francis Lewis....

There is also no need to leave Francis Lewis between Springfield & Hillside with much of nothing as far as bus service goes.... If you think taking Q77's off Francis Lewis will speed things up any for the NICE buses that utilize Francis Lewis between Hillside & Jamaica av., then you are SORELY mistaken :lol:

* None of what you're saying or suggesting in this post addresses @danielhg121's question..... [You seeing 4 Q76's on Hillside] & [the Q76 & Q77 being both school routes running on Francis Lewis] has squat to do with a particular Q76 bus having a QV depot sticker....

I thought of this: Out of all 5-boroughs, Staten Island has all routes in a pattern from numbers 1-98. SIM are express routes 1-35 while 40 to 78, 79 are local routes while 81-98 are peak limited routes (except for the S93)

Edited by Calvin

5 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I thought of this: Out of all 5-boroughs, Staten Island has all routes in a pattern from number 1-98. SIM are express routes while 40 to 78, 79 are local routes while 81-98 are peak limited routes (except for the S93)

I mean with some overlapping. But at most a consistent 1-98. Take out the prefixes on some express lines tho. 

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

I thought of this: Out of all 5-boroughs, Staten Island has all routes in a pattern from numbers 1-98. SIM are express routes 1-35 while 40 to 78, 79 are local routes while 81-98 are peak limited routes (except for the S93)

Check it out, more patterns...

For Locals: 

40s: North Shore routes

50s: North-South routes 

60s: Cross Island routes (Victory Blvd) 

70s: South Shore Routes 

80s: One Way Peak Limiteds (89 exception) 

90s: Two Way Peak Limited (93 exception) 

For express:

SIM1C-4C, Off Peak Routes (33c exception now)

20s: South Shore routes

30s: North Shore routes