BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Lex said:

Okay, but why does it have so few trips?

True, it only has 3 trips beginning at 6:00, 6:30 and 7:00am during AM rush to Midtown and 5:05, 5:35 and 6:05 to Little Neck during the PM rush, shouldn't it have more service?

Edited by ItsDavid
add something in about PM Rush

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

Just now, ItsDavid said:

True, it only has 3 trips beginning at 6:00, 6:30 and 7:00am during AM rush to Midtown and 5:05, 5:35 and 6:05 to Little Neck, shouldn't it have more service?

Apparently, the QM3 at one point (decades ago) had midday and reverse peak service on weekdays (similar to how the QM1 used to operate, or how the current QM20 operates). Unlike the QM2/20, the QM3 tends to be near the LIRR for a large chunk of its pick-up/drop-off section in Queens, and since those areas are relatively wealthy, they might be more comfortable with the LIRR.

13 minutes ago, Lex said:

When (MTA) Bus took over, they decided to consolidate. It used to run all day years ago. I think part of the reason is because they didn't want to lose LIRR ridership. Little Neck and Douglaston are similar to my neighborhood. Upper middle class to upper class. Some use the LIRR, but they also use the QM3. I have a number of QM3 riders in my group. Those areas are served by the LIRR Port Washington line, which gets very good service too. They did something similar in my area. When they started running shuttle buses to our Metro-North stations, they cut back on express bus service. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 minute ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Apparently, the QM3 at one point (decades ago) had midday and reverse peak service on weekdays (similar to how the QM1 used to operate, or how the current QM20 operates). Unlike the QM2/20, the QM3 tends to be near the LIRR for a large chunk of its pick-up/drop-off section in Queens, and since those areas are relatively wealthy, they might be more comfortable with the LIRR.

So basically its service is degrading due to the LIRR being a more effective way instead of riding the QM3

12 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

That is part of it yes. The demographic is such that some of them just drive to the LIRR, as they see that as the more professional thing to take into Manhattan. As I said above, the Port Washington line runs very good service (arguably one of the best LIRR branches), so it's hard for the QM3 to compete with that. When it had off-peak service, I don't think it was more than once an hour.

36 minutes ago, ItsDavid said:

So basically its service is degrading due to the LIRR being a more effective way instead of riding the QM3

Yes, but there is still ridership on those QM3 trips. This picture was taken by some QM3 riders in my group. 84530892_10157100533721247_8055994913575

@Lex @ItsDavid 

To add on to the very good LIRR service, many long-time express bus riders feel that the private lines just ran much better service. The buses were prompt and clean, and you don't have all of the missing buses either. When (MTA) Bus took over, that's when the quality of service declined considerably. Here's an example from 2007:

https://riverdalepress.com/stories/Editorial-More-reliable-express-bus-service,24432

1 hour ago, ItsDavid said:

I can't find it now, but there was a newspaper article (I believe NY TImes) that profiled the QM3 ridership a few years ago. The gist of it is that the riders are die-hard riders that all know each other and even celebrate each other's birthdays on the bus. Personally, that's overkill for me and I'd actually want to take LIRR and remain more anonymous lol. I wonder what covid has done to the ridership. 

@Via Garibaldi 8 wow, it's hard to look at that pic and not immediately break out in a sweat and think "my god, that's a virus death trap!" even though I know full well it is from way before the pandemic. Man, it's gonna be a long road back to feeling comfortable with the "old way" of life and commuting 

5 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I can't find it now, but there was a newspaper article (I believe NY TImes) that profiled the QM3 ridership a few years ago. The gist of it is that the riders are die-hard riders that all know each other and even celebrate each other's birthdays on the bus. Personally, that's overkill for me and I'd actually want to take LIRR and remain more anonymous lol. I wonder what covid has done to the ridership. 

@Via Garibaldi 8 wow, it's hard to look at that pic and not immediately break out in a sweat and think "my god, that's a virus death trap!" even though I know full well it is from way before the pandemic. Man, it's gonna be a long road back to feeling comfortable with the "old way" of life and commuting 

Yes, I have a few more pictures from my group. The first one is a decorated QM3 bus celebrating the holidays:

48137934_10156083733621247_3869072472003

The second one is another crowded QM3 bus:

83391518_10158096493242990_1723986270452

The QM3 service that remains, we will fight like hell to keep. 

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

When (MTA) Bus took over, they decided to consolidate. It used to run all day years ago.

I believe the QM3 lost service before MTA bus took over. It was cut during QS bus days. I still have a timetable somewhere, I have to go look for it

The bus used to also serve more of Jackson Heights/East Elmhurst areas along Northern Blvd in one direction only. Slowly the stops have been cut back in that areas however

1 minute ago, Mtatransit said:

I believe the QM3 lost service before MTA bus took over. It was cut during QS bus days. I still have a timetable somewhere, I have to go look for it

The bus used to also serve more of Jackson Heights/East Elmhurst areas along Northern Blvd in one direction only. Slowly the stops have been cut back in that areas however

Yeah, that is partially true as well. The Jackson Heights stops still exist in one direction. The QM3 riders are none too happy with the (MTA) 's proposal and are prepared to fight to keep the service. Years ago, there was a push by Northeast Queens elected officials to add more express bus service to lines like the QM3, QM5 and so on. It comes down to the (MTA) trying to push riders to the LIRR, which does not work for everyone's commute. If they were expanding subway options in Queens, it would be understandable,  but there has been no subway expansion in the outerboroughs. 

https://queenseagle.com/all/queens-councilmembers-blast-bus-plan

Stepping away from the QM3 for a bit, I took a look at the B98 and Q98 on the MTA's website.

My first impression is that they're perhaps skipping a bit too much (not so much for Eastern Parkway/Empire Boulevard for the B98 or the portion north of Rockaway Boulevard on the Q98) for the purpose of bringing people to the vaccination spots.

I don't get why they're showing considerably more service for the Q98 to Edgemere than to York College, nor do I understand why service from the colleges starts at about the same time as service to them.

45 minutes ago, Lex said:

Stepping away from the QM3 for a bit, I took a look at the B98 and Q98 on the MTA's website.

My first impression is that they're perhaps skipping a bit too much (not so much for Eastern Parkway/Empire Boulevard for the B98 or the portion north of Rockaway Boulevard on the Q98) for the purpose of bringing people to the vaccination spots.

I don't get why they're showing considerably more service for the Q98 to Edgemere than to York College, nor do I understand why service from the colleges starts at about the same time as service to them.

Some elected official was out there advertising the service. It's a use it or lose it situation.

Speaking of those two bus lines, would you guys see them being around after the COVID period, and do you see them being extended? (Like the Q98 into Jamaica LIRR possibly).

I also heard that there’s people asking questions to the riders, specifically the question of them getting a vaccine.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

Speaking of those two bus lines, would you guys see them being around after the COVID period, and do you see them being extended? (Like the Q98 into Jamaica LIRR possibly).

That depends. In all honesty, I doubt it.

Hitting up Jamaica LIRR via Q98 would require either a reroute or a diversion (assuming that Sutphin Boulevard isn't simply added to the itinerary).

2 hours ago, Lex said:

They are focused on targeting specific neighborhoods without direct access to the vaccination sites (So for example, adding a stop at Cross Bay & Liberty would easily add ridership to the Q98V, but people in that area have the Q112, and the Q41 to a certain extent).  

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Some elected official was out there advertising the service. It's a use it or lose it situation.

To be honest, I don't see them cutting it even if ridership is low (at least until a sufficient number of people have been vaccinated). Since those lines were specifically created to connect low-income neighborhoods to the vaccination sites, it just looks terrible from a public relations point of view. Seeing that this was advertised on the governor's page (and he managed to get them to shut down the subway overnight) I don't see those lines going away so easily.

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

I also heard that there’s people asking questions to the riders, specifically the question of them getting a vaccine.

These are temporary lines (hence why the MTA was able to establish them without a public hearing). So long story short, no (unless for some reason, large-scale vaccination sites are an integral part of this "new normal")

While these lines are designed to bring people to vaccination sites, they can't prevent any member of the general public from riding them (the same with school trippers...they are generally intended for students, but if a general member of the public wants to ride, they can't be prevented from doing so.

15 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

They are focused on targeting specific neighborhoods without direct access to the vaccination sites (So for example, adding a stop at Cross Bay & Liberty would easily add ridership to the Q98V, but people in that area have the Q112, and the Q41 to a certain extent).  

To be honest, I don't see them cutting it even if ridership is low (at least until a sufficient number of people have been vaccinated). Since those lines were specifically created to connect low-income neighborhoods to the vaccination sites, it just looks terrible from a public relations point of view. Seeing that this was advertised on the governor's page (and he managed to get them to shut down the subway overnight) I don't see those lines going away so easily.

These are temporary lines (hence why the MTA was able to establish them without a public hearing). So long story short, no (unless for some reason, large-scale vaccination sites are an integral part of this "new normal")

While these lines are designed to bring people to vaccination sites, they can't prevent any member of the general public from riding them (the same with school trippers...they are generally intended for students, but if a general member of the public wants to ride, they can't be prevented from doing so.

I wonder if the MTA will apply for some sort of special covid relief funding to cover some of the cost of running these lines. I think other have posted here that any bus purchases with federal funding has some sort of stipulation attached that it be used for disaster-related purposes so maybe that plays into things as well?

3 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I wonder if the MTA will apply for some sort of special covid relief funding to cover some of the cost of running these lines. I think other have posted here that any bus purchases with federal funding has some sort of stipulation attached that it be used for disaster-related purposes so maybe that plays into things as well?

I can almost guarantee that they are receiving COVID relief funds for those lines. The same reason they were so hesitant about putting those extra overnight bus runs on the general schedule (because they want to show that it is literally only because the subway was shut down for cleaning). 

Edited by checkmatechamp13

46 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I quoted the elected official about the use or lose it line. Maybe they convinced the (MTA) to run the service.

Well that sucks (to put into context, this is the last outbound trip):

Service Change  Posted:  03/01/2021 11:45 PM

The southbound 12:30AM X27 departure out of 57 St/Madison Ave will not run.

We're running as much service as we can with the bus operators we have available. 

See when the next bus will arrive at your stop using: http://bt.mta.info/

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven