BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Suspension, for one. The Q44 route has a lot of potholes, uneven roads, and the Whitestone Bridge doesn't help either because of the EZPASS dips in the roads. It causes a lot of wear and tear on the Suspension.

I guess what also doesn’t help is the fact that the Q44 SBS runs 24/7 so it’s buses are always on the road. So these buses are traveling long distances and hitting potholes on the regular. CS in my opinion is doing a good job with these buses but I believe it’s only a matter of time before you see CS’s batch being swapped out. 

Shoot with CS expected to get LFS’s in the future I wouldn’t be surprised if they also received LFSA’s whether it’s the 2017-2019 ones or brand new ones. The 1200 series LFSA’s are either at or reaching retirement age so the possibility of CS getting a brand new batch of artic buses again isn’t crazy. 

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

If it's coming from Craig Allen, he's accurate.. All others I don't take their word for it.

I don't remember the last time I listened or otherwise tuned into the weather; on the radio or by way of the internet (I don't watch TV).... Every single last one of them are frauds; exactly why I call them Whethermen... Aint no different then those "expert analysts" ESPN dubs to relay their sports predictions....

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Does anyone remember which QM express route used to run down 63rd Drive in Rego Park? I recall it was either a Green Lines or Triboro route, but I don't have the old map on me.  Was either rerouted, renumbered, or flat-out discontinued by June 2010 IIRC.

The QM10/QM11 run down 63rd drive and they still exist. They both used to be ran by Triboro Coach, until 2006 when the MTA took over. 

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Does anyone remember which QM express route used to run down 63rd Drive in Rego Park? I recall it was either a Green Lines or Triboro route, but I don't have the old map on me.  Was either rerouted, renumbered, or flat-out discontinued by June 2010 IIRC.

25 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The QM10/QM11 run down 63rd drive and they still exist. They both used to be ran by Triboro Coach, until 2006 when the MTA took over. 

The QM10/11 run down 63rd Road. I know, the road on the opposite side of Queens Boulevard is 63rd Drive, but the streets are a little broken in that area. I actually think he's talking about the section on 63rd Drive south/west of Queens Boulevard.

There actually used to be an express bus line in that area, the QM23 operated by Green Bus Lines. Northbound QM15 buses also operated along 63rd Drive. This was when the QM16/QM17 made all stops on Woodhaven Boulevard. I vaguely remember an express bus in that area (and one of the stops along the Q38 in that area has a shelter which notes the QM23 IIRC). It was discontinued shortly after takeover. Here's a January 2006 QM15/QM23 timetable, which incorrectly shows the QM23 as operating one way on 63rd Drive. The April 2006 QM15/QM23 timetable no longer shows that route path or stops on 63rd Drive

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The QM10/11 run down 63rd Road. I know, the road on the opposite side of Queens Boulevard is 63rd Drive, but the streets are a little broken in that area. I actually think he's talking about the section on 63rd Drive south/west of Queens Boulevard.

There actually used to be an express bus line in that area, the QM23 operated by Green Bus Lines. Northbound QM15 buses also operated along 63rd Drive. This was when the QM16/QM17 made all stops on Woodhaven Boulevard. I vaguely remember an express bus in that area (and one of the stops along the Q38 in that area has a shelter which notes the QM23 IIRC). It was discontinued shortly after takeover. Here's a January 2006 QM15/QM23 timetable, which incorrectly shows the QM23 as operating one way on 63rd Drive. The April 2006 QM15/QM23 timetable no longer shows that route path or stops on 63rd Drive

Yes, that's exactly it- now I remember everything.  It was one of a series of PBL lines that either got heavily revamped or basically vanished into thin air after takeover.

Didn't ride express buses back then, but it definitely was only 1 or 2 peak direction trips daily.  Rare enough that seeing one of those Green Line buses along 63rd Drive in between Triboro Q38s was a real head-turner.  They ran single-door Orion 5s on that route:

https://gallery.bustalk.info/albums/userpics/10001/5894_Orion_V_CIMG2094_040106.jpg

Hard to believe it was 15-20 years ago at this point.  Different world entirely.

Edited by R10 2952

On 2/25/2021 at 8:31 PM, MHV9218 said:

You guys seen the new subway shuttle code? Has a little R160 drawn into the screen, and it even works on flipdots. Probably not for long, since I don't know when we'd ever see an MCI in shuttle service, and the flipdots are not long for this world. Maybe this qualifies as HD RARE. Unfortunately this sign had a glitch, but take a look:

50981122437_e5e8b3c98a_b.jpg

Huh, for what reason was that in the LES?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Anyone know what a Q56 bus displaying "111 ST <---> 121 ST" means?

It was a shuttle that ran from 121st Street to 111th Street when either one of those stations were closed for station rehabilitation.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Huh, for what reason was that in the LES?

I couldn't figure out what was up. Something messy with the FDR so buses were taking Allen to Delancey, but then by the looks of it getting on the Williamsburg...I guess to the BQE to the LIE? Weird.

On 2/26/2021 at 1:09 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

What issues do the 2017 XD60s have?

They have pretty bad transmission issues, at least in my eyes, a lot of the CS operators leave the bus in 3rd/4th gear because of top speed/acceleration.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:51 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

I guess what also doesn’t help is the fact that the Q44 SBS runs 24/7 so it’s buses are always on the road. So these buses are traveling long distances and hitting potholes on the regular. CS in my opinion is doing a good job with these buses but I believe it’s only a matter of time before you see CS’s batch being swapped out. 

Shoot with CS expected to get LFS’s in the future I wouldn’t be surprised if they also received LFSA’s whether it’s the 2017-2019 ones or brand new ones. The 1200 series LFSA’s are either at or reaching retirement age so the possibility of CS getting a brand new batch of artic buses again isn’t crazy. 

While this is true, it’ll be very nice to see 5603-5652 (I’m just throwing numbers out there for the next LFSA order) on the Q44. But, you might just see the 2017s in CS, unwrapped, both on the Q12 and Q44 (and maybe Q20 by the time that happens). 

3 hours ago, NBTA said:

They have pretty bad transmission issues, at least in my eyes, a lot of the CS operators leave the bus in 3rd/4th gear because of top speed/acceleration.

That's 95% of the fleet because of the stupid modifications that the MTA makes to them, supposedly for better fuel economy

16 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

That's 95% of the fleet because of the stupid modifications that the MTA makes to them, supposedly for better fuel economy

Most of the newer Allison transmissions have the dynamic shift scheduling/economy mode on and it does screw with the shift patterns. Although the majority of our buses are capped at 40 MPH, the normal shift pattern does not go into 6th gear, instead staying at 5th. At 40 MPH in 6th gear it makes the bus a little harder to stop, plus any inclines will screw with the acceleration when the vehicle does lose speed, so it's best to keep in 4/5th gear to have a little more control. Hell, I do it with our C40s, I usually limit them to 5th gear on dry pavement and drop it to 3/4th in worsening conditions

12 minutes ago, Ultimategamer12c said:

Had a feeling FP would have the route makes sense, but FB ehh. 

The only possible logic I could come with is that the deadhead between FB depot and Medgar Evers is only 20-25 mins via Rogers.. However, from Fresh Pond, the deadhead is via the B13 to Pink houses and that deadhead is just as the same as the Flatbush deadhead.  

Honestly, I thought this would be a East New York route since the route follows the B14 and B60 (now at GA) but, EN has a bit on its plate. So FP & FB would make sense. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

In addition to 7624 and 7719, 7713 is also doing the shuttle. Personally, I thought East New York or Flatbush would have the route. I didn't think it would be split.

JFK Depot has the Q98V and they run mostly NG Hybrids. Right now, 3505, 3614, 3813, 3822, and 4169 are running.

Edited by Snorunts

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

The only possible logic I could come with is that the deadhead between FB depot and Medgar Evers is only 20-25 mins via Rogers.. However, from Fresh Pond, the deadhead is via the B13 to Pink houses and that deadhead is just as the same as the Flatbush deadhead.  

Honestly, I thought this would be a East New York route since the route follows the B14 and B60 (now at GA) but, EN has a bit on its plate. So FP & FB would make sense. 

See I was heavy on ENY getting the route since it would have a easier deadhead to the Depot,  but I was thinking GA and FP could share  it since the route is a mix B20/B60 but either way all depots could have the B98V just not FB since it's  alittle longer. But either way it works out well I guess.