BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Remember that the only reason the BM2 runs overnight is because the subway isn't open to the public. Since that window was shortened to 2am - 4am, they probably figure the only run that's actually needed is the 3am trip.

Not true. The other express lines are running and have been just fine (the BxM4 and BxM7). They have been struggling to provide BM2 service overnight now for months, well before the 2am-4am subway closure. These announcements are made almost daily. I don't even know why they bother because the majority of the service overnight on that line is rarely provided.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Hopefully Ulmer Park could do some big TLC on those.. Those artics are approaching 10 years old.  You may say the same with the ones from Grand Avenue.. They all need a repaint at the least, and since the MTA is pretty poor right now don't expect any artic orders coming down the pike..

seems as if TLC is the last abbreviation Ulmer Park has in mind these days. you can clearly see (or at least i can see) the attentiveness Grand Avenue gave to their units before bombarding the 38 with them. 

18 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Then figure out the amount of equipment needed and who's going to provide that equipment. It's not rocket science.

amen. speaking of which, i cannot help but wonder what yards (TA or BC) will supply equipment for the B98V & Q98V... at ½ hour intervals, I'm assuming that'll be at minimum 2 runs an hour.

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

43 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

amen. speaking of which, i cannot help but wonder what yards (TA or BC) will supply equipment for the B98V & Q98V... at ½ hour intervals, I'm assuming that'll be at minimum 2 runs an hour.

Yeah, they're every 30 minutes. The schedules are already uploaded into Trip Planner (they give 10 minutes from Jamaica to Beach 122nd...not sure who thought of that...)

51 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

seems as if TLC is the last abbreviation Ulmer Park has in mind these days. you can clearly see (or at least i can see) the attentiveness Grand Avenue gave to their units before bombarding the 38 with them. 

You are right about that. I just wonder if they will throw some on the B6 in the future.  Every time i see them working on the B1 they just look horrendous. 

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Hopefully Ulmer Park could do some big TLC on those.. Those artics are approaching 10 years old.  You may say the same with the ones from Grand Avenue.. They all need a repaint at the least, and since the MTA is pretty poor right now don't expect any artic orders coming down the pike..

I mean its gotten bad enough to the point where the bellows are literally dragging across the street.

I understand that Kingsbridge has a lot of buses they had to deal with, but this is unacceptable...

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

My god, Kingsbridges old XD60 that are running on the B1 are in such awful shape, how are buses even allowed to get like this in the first place?

When it comes to maintenance, the (MTA) higher ups go off of reports. That's what they look at on a daily basis. Maintenance says such and such bus has been fixed. Ok, fine. If I was running things, I would go out and visit the depots and see first hand, and do pop-up visits. Reports can always be fudged.

Traffic patterns seem to slowly be returning ti pre-pandemic levels. I've been hitting more and mire traffic in AM and PM, and the Express buses are getting more and more full. The early afternoon runs to Queens are quite full when i take them...i guess people are working shorter hours in the office or whatever. 

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

When it comes to maintenance, the (MTA) higher ups go off of reports. That's what they look at on a daily basis. Maintenance says such and such bus has been fixed. Ok, fine. If I was running things, I would go out and visit the depots and see first hand, and do pop-up visits. Reports can always be fudged.

Back when they had the D60HF's, the rear light housings were literally falling off the bus and people reported it, yet nothing ever happened and maintenence is still the same...

2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Back when they had the D60HF's, the rear light housings were literally falling off the bus and people reported it, yet nothing ever happened and maintenence is still the same...

Yeah because who goes out to inspect to see these buses in person? It's all about reports reports reports. When Staten Island was dealing with bus shortages and making service, the conference calls were all centered on the (MTA) 's reports, which can easily be manipulated. It's a joke.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

16 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Traffic patterns seem to slowly be returning ti pre-pandemic levels. I've been hitting more and mire traffic in AM and PM, and the Express buses are getting more and more full. The early afternoon runs to Queens are quite full when i take them...i guess people are working shorter hours in the office or whatever. 

Yeah, most offices try to get employees out before rush hour to avoid the crowds, which then means crowds during off-peak. lol

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

My god, Kingsbridges old XD60 that are running on the B1 are in such awful shape, how are buses even allowed to get like this in the first place?

What about the ex Gun Hill units? Ulmer has more of those than ones from Kingsbridge. I do know maintenance of the Former KB Xcelsiors was not good so I wonder how the Gun Hill units are holding up at Ulmer Park.

You guys seen the new subway shuttle code? Has a little R160 drawn into the screen, and it even works on flipdots. Probably not for long, since I don't know when we'd ever see an MCI in shuttle service, and the flipdots are not long for this world. Maybe this qualifies as HD RARE. Unfortunately this sign had a glitch, but take a look:

50981122437_e5e8b3c98a_b.jpg

50 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The XD-60s out of Casey Stengel on the Q44-SBS. The ride is pretty rough going over the Whitestone Bridge from Main St to Parkchester. 

Considering that the whole group 5987-6029, 6031 have not moved since their inception to the depot. So plenty of wear and tear on those buses. I wonder in the near future if there will be more fleet swaps between the SBS buses.

Just now, Future ENY OP said:

Considering that the whole group 5987-6029, 6031 have not moved since their inception to the depot. So plenty of wear and tear on those buses. I wonder in the near future if there will be more fleet swaps between the SBS buses.

6031 was not a Stengel original and some of the 5900s have moved to LaGuardia during the summer. The units are more than 4 years old at this point but they had issues since they were introduced on the Q44.

Just now, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

6031 was not a Stengel original and some of the 5900s have moved to LaGuardia during the summer. The units are more than 4 years old at this point but they had issues since they were introduced on the Q44.

You know what I keep forgetting the summer loan program that CS has with LGA with some 5900's.  I forget where 6031 was at first before it's move to stengel..

33 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Suspension, for one. The Q44 route has a lot of potholes, uneven roads, and the Whitestone Bridge doesn't help either because of the EZPASS dips in the roads. It causes a lot of wear and tear on the Suspension.

If you want to talk about uneven roads. Throggs Neck Bridge is another one. But really, it goes to show that the Department of Transportation has alot of issues in Queens and citywide with dealing with potholes.. Weather is about to get a bit warmer so we will deal with uneven roads and paving for quite a while.

36 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

If you want to talk about uneven roads. Throggs Neck Bridge is another one. But really, it goes to show that the Department of Transportation has alot of issues in Queens and citywide with dealing with potholes.. Weather is about to get a bit warmer so we will deal with uneven roads and paving for quite a while.

I saw a DOT pothole crew earlier this week filling in some potholes with the warmer weather this week, but it sounds like we may get snow again next week

1 minute ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I saw a DOT pothole crew earlier this week filling in some potholes with the warmer weather this week, but it sounds like we may get snow again next week

Just checked the forecast for next week.. As of right now, no snow in the city.. Snow up north.. Past 287 and 684 and upper portion of the Thruway into Albany. 

Monday's potential forecast calls for rain in the city and afternoon sun, than rest of the week temperatures between 45 and 50. The brunt of the snow storms appears to be done.

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just checked the forecast for next week.. As of right now, no snow in the city.. Snow up north.. Past 287 and 684 and upper portion of the Thruway into Albany. 

Monday's potential forecast calls for rain in the city and afternoon sun, than rest of the week temperatures between 45 and 50. The brunt of the snow storms appears to be done.

Ahh, very good, I guess the 1010 wins meteorologist was wrong this morming LOL